Miss having Knox or Note 7 secure folders like feature

mhonard

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I find I need at least two, maybe 3, programs to create a knox like environment and yet its still not as secure as Knox. For example to "hide" sensitve text/email in the lock screen I can use the built in notification settings but that does not stop such details from showing up once the phone is unlocked. So I have to run a 3rd party notifcation program to stop all sensitive info from showing up. To lock the app I need a 3rd party lock application and so far most can be slow to trigger sometimes lagging so much you can read the information briefly, say from a text program. Finally non of the 3rd party lock apps closes the task manger image. I tried a task killer or two but was not successfull. So I have to remember to close the task manger version manually.

So I really miss the Samsung Knox app or even better the "secure folders" that was on the Note 7. Anyway to install these on the Pixel? or any other equivalent solutions out there?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There are 'private phone' apps available, but they're usually custom-made corporate solutions that aren't just downloadable from the Play Store. They're deeper OS modifications that make it possible for a company or individual to mimic what Knox/Secure Folder does (actually Knox/Secure folder mimics those; corporate solutions have been around since before Knox).

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Honestly Google needs to implement the ability to lock applications natively in the OS and you'll have to input ones fingerprint to unlock and use that application. Biometric protection. I know Apple is doing something like that and I know there's a really popular tweak in Cydia that does that for every app.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Honestly Google needs to implement the ability to lock applications natively in the OS and you'll have to input ones fingerprint to unlock and use that application. Biometric protection. I know Apple is doing something like that and I know there's a really popular tweak in Cydia that does that for every app.

I don't look for that to happen.

Google's philosophy is that your only protection is the lock screen. They focus on a secure startup process and give you the things you need to keep your phone locked up. Once someone is past your lock screen, nothing else matters because they have physical access to the phone and can turn on debugging.

They just open a crap ton of APIs so someone else can do something like a folder or file lock if they want to.

Google's right that once anyone (who knows how) has your phone in their hands and it's unlocked everything is compromised, but that way of thinking kind of misses the big picture. They do that a lot.

Nougat has a very different file api with file based encryption enabled. Someone will make an app that does it even better than Knox using just the built in hardware backed encryption apis.

mhonard

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I had an idea (kind of a compromise). Is it possible to set up a second user and then pass notifications from that user, with sensitive info blocked,to the primary or other users? Kind of a "notification" you have a "notifications" in another profile?

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Knox is one of the reasons I'm staying w/ my Galaxy S7E for now (after reluctantly giving up my Note 7), I use my phone for work and personal and loved the Secure Folders on the N7 and have adapted to using MyKnox on the S7E. I'm a little curious about how multiple users works on the Pixel. Would I be able to set up a Work and Home Account and have separate profiles with its own home screen/apps/settings that I choose from a login screen, similar to how a PC handles it?

How are notifications handled with separate accounts? Does the lock screen show both or is the lock screen only available to the last signed-in user?