Who's coming from 6P?

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I moved from a mint condition 6p to a regular pixel. Couldn't be happier. It sure is nice to have a small phone again. This little guy is quick!

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I used a 6P as my daily driver for the last year.

The Pixel XL is better in every way except speaker quality/loudness.

Don't notice the screen size difference, but the physical size difference between the two phones is surprisingly noticeable, at least for me. It's also significantly lighter, while feeling just as solid. Camera way better, screen way better. Battery life is the same or better.

EDIT: Just noticed you said Pixel and not Pixel XL....you will probably like the 6P's screen better if you are used to 1440P, and the size difference will be very significant. Personally I have large hands and can type WAY faster on the 5.5-5.7" phones compared to 4.7-5.1" phones, which is one reason I have stayed with the larger variants. Battery is another - you get much larger batteries on the bigger phones. The screens draw more power, but standby and everything else lasts longer. Also if you plan on getting into VR at all, you will want to stick with the XL.

jalt179

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I used a 6P as my daily driver for the last year.

The Pixel XL is better in every way except speaker quality/loudness.

Don't notice the screen size difference, but the physical size difference between the two phones is surprisingly noticeable, at least for me. It's also significantly lighter, while feeling just as solid. Camera way better, screen way better. Battery life is the same or better.

EDIT: Just noticed you said Pixel and not Pixel XL....you will probably like the 6P's screen better if you are used to 1440P, and the size difference will be very significant. Personally I have large hands and can type WAY faster on the 5.5-5.7" phones compared to 4.7-5.1" phones, which is one reason I have stayed with the larger variants. Battery is another - you get much larger batteries on the bigger phones. The screens draw more power, but standby and everything else lasts longer. Also if you plan on getting into VR at all, you will want to stick with the XL.

The comment about sound quality is concerning. I watch alot of TV/movies on my phone and love the sound on the 6P.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I sold my 6P and ordered the 128GB Pixel XL last week so I do not have it yet. I never really used my 6P as a phone but used it quite a bit as a wifi device. Looking forward to trying out the Pixel XL.

oddball21

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
i really like my 6P and have a hard time convincing myself to try the Pixel .. what am i missing out on ?

I am on the same boat, I cracked the screen of my original 6P so I bought myself another 6P, is the hype real? I just don't see why put a premium price tag for an upgraded processor and an updated camera, does that suffice the price increase?

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about switching from my (cracked) 6P to a Pixel.

Anyone made that move and regret it? Thrilled?

On my XL the camera is better and way faster. Screen is smaller sucks and the speaker sounds better in my opinion but is noticeably quieter. Build quality is nicer. Screen may be slightly better not sure. I installed the dev preview on my 6p and like it better than I did. I recently factory reset the 6p with the 7.0 update and the only differences I see in speed is camera opening and fingerprint sensor to unlock.

I don't think you're missing out on a whole lot. I might return this $800 phone and keep my 6p until I see what Samsung does in the spring. I don't see why Google didn't just have the pixel and leave the Nexus line intact. Kind of annoyed with Google right now really.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been debating holding off and keeping the 6P. Went and checked out the XL today in a vzw store and immediately ordered. I like the design way more, and word on the street is the camera is much better also. Another thing that really swayed me is the fact that the battery life on my 6P is junk, so I'm definitely looking for something better.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I went from the 6p to the pixel and don't regret a single thing, not even the front facing speakers. I happen to think the pixel sounds a little better than the stereo speakers. Call me crazy, but it doesn't sound tinny like the 6p and the HTC 10. However, do not think for a second that the pixel sounds as good as the HTC 10 when connected to headphones. It's not even close. The HTC 10 will make your ears bleed. That said, the pixel is quite respectable with Bluetooth sound. And, music sounds louder over Bluetooth as well compared to the 6p.

The Pixel screen is brighter and more true to color IMHO. The 6p tends to have a yellow tint. The 6p also gets janky in some places. Try scrolling through the widget menu to see what I mean. That's all smoothed out with the pixel. It's funny, the widget panel, you just figured, was an area that Android overlooked and then you get the pixel and realize there are many areas like that in android that the pixel just cleans up and smooths out.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So is the pixel better to you than the 6p. I was thinking of upgrading too.

I would make that purchase every single time for the pixel. IMO there's not one single advantage the 6p has over the Pixel. And, it's not even close. There are those who say the price of the pixel is a non starter. I say the difference between the 2 phones is worth the price increase. iPhone comparisons aside, you simply can't ignore the ease at which the pixel flies around the UI. It's just sweetness! It's what I've been looking for.

JJDigitized

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the input. If my 6P wasn't cracked (don't let your kids handle your phones without a case...totally my fault) I probably wouldn't consider it, but it sounds fairly compelling.

As someone with small hands too, I like that the Pixel seems to be the first real flagship phone where the smaller size isn't a HUGE compromise on specs.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The comment about sound quality is concerning. I watch alot of TV/movies on my phone and love the sound on the 6P.

I have a 6p and also got a pixel for my wife. I tested the speaker and its not that noticeable. sure 6p has front facing and it def shows some quality but pixel is not that bad as well.

I will do some more testing and will report back

jettrue

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Me!! About to put my 6P on ebay. I'm loving the smaller size of the pixel. The camera is awesome, speaker sounds great to me. I went with the 6P over the 5X because I wanted a premium feel, but it's just a little too big for me. Always wants to fall out of my pocket when I sit down, one handed is tough.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Me!! About to put my 6P on ebay. I'm loving the smaller size of the pixel. The camera is awesome, speaker sounds great to me. I went with the 6P over the 5X because I wanted a premium feel, but it's just a little too big for me. Always wants to fall out of my pocket when I sit down, one handed is tough.

The great thing about the Pixel is that you don't lose anything moving from the XL to the smaller phone.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I also went from the 6p to the regular pixel. For me, the Pixel is better in every way except notification volume. They could really be louder.

Otherwise I'm happy with it, but I also go my phone through verizon with a corporate discount. If I didnt have that, I'm not sure the difference would have been enough for me to shell out full price this year. I probably would have waited for the Pixel 2.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Went from the 6P to the standard pixel. Don't regret it one bit. The phones in front of my face anyways so the smaller screen doesn't really bother me. The big increase in speediness and how smooth it feels is worth it alone. No real quality differences between 1080 vs 1440 screen. The screen size difference helps keep things looking crisp without any screen door. The speaker is somewhat weak compared to the 6P but thats not a deal breaker for me.

The best part, it's better battery life in a reasonable size. I've been getting about 4:45-5:30 hours of SOT

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance