Upgrade to Pixel from Nexus 5X worth it?

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've been rocking my Nexus 5X since launch day. I actually did get a warrantee replacement because the Android Nougat beta program bricked my phone on an ota. Anyway, I actually love this phone, but the Pixel is really calling my name. I'm on Project Fi, so it's really my only upgrade path.

I'm just wondering if I should skip this generation and hang onto my 5X for another year, or should I get the Pixel. Are the new features really worth the price when I've already got a Google phone? I would definitely get the smaller one because I like smaller phones.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have 6P. The only reason I didn't upgrade this year is because of the price of XL. just can't get my self to shell that much money.

If money was not an issue I would have upgraded for the better camera.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The pixel is a massive upgrade from the 5x. HUGE upgrade. Not even in the same league. 5x was my daily driver for a while this year. Is it worth the $500 premium? Android Central still has the best quote on the price: "If any phone is with this much, the Pixel is".

Last edited:

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've been rocking my Nexus 5X since launch day. I actually did get a warrantee replacement because the Android Nougat beta program bricked my phone on an ota. Anyway, I actually love this phone, but the Pixel is really calling my name. I'm on Project Fi, so it's really my only upgrade path.

I'm just wondering if I should skip this generation and hang onto my 5X for another year, or should I get the Pixel. Are the new features really worth the price when I've already got a Google phone? I would definitely get the smaller one because I like smaller phones.

Yes and No.

To make it simple, compare to Nexus 5X, spec wise, no matter is the camera, processor and rated IP53 (Water and Dust resistant), it will be huge improvements compare to the 5X. Plus, it got Google drive unlimited storage for your photos.

Budget wise, it's better stick with your 5X then. 😎

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you like the 5X . . . keep it . . . the only two reasons I can see for upgrading now would be . . .

1) You are really serious about smart phone photography, and it is worth the $$$$ to upgrade the photo capabilities

2) You have a wad of cash you just can't think of spending on anything else.

(Sent from my Nexus 5X)

Blazefox1990

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
As far as I can tell you should upgrade. Specs are superior and camera seems to be pretty good, although cameras aren't a big deal for me. I will say I am biased cause I always want the newest phones. Currently have the 6p and HTC 10. Had the note 7 before recall. Hope to get the pixel soon.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
If you like the 5X . . . keep it . . . the only two reasons I can see for upgrading now would be . . .

1) You are really serious about smart phone photography, and it is worth the $$$$ to upgrade the photo capabilities

2) You have a wad of cash you just can't think of spending on anything else.

(Sent from my Nexus 5X)
"Serious about smartphone photography"

I almost spit out my coffee from laughter.

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 5x last October. Then I bought the 6p in April. Glad I bought the Pixel. I might actually keep this for a year or two. 😀 It's the best phone I've had since my 2013 Moto X.

NealMM

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded from 5x and I am very pleased. The phone is much better and faster and the camera rocks! And the slightly smaller size is GREAT for me. Plus I want to play with VR so I was going to get a headset soon anyway. So that saved me almost $90.

anon(23306)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just made this upgrade. I hated my 5X because it was so slow. This is fast and I much prefer the screen. Unfortunately, my pixel came with a defective volume rocker so I'm waiting on a replacement.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Night and day difference, the Pixel is so much better without giving anything up. Faster and better battery life

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This Pixel is a good improvement over the Nexus 5X in everyway. However I wanna give a shout out to all the Nexus 5 owners who passed on the Nexus 5X. I still have a Nexus 5 (but my daily driver has been a Nexus 5X since October 2015) and have been comparing the Nexus 5 and Pixel 5" mainly in terms of device profile being similar, but performance is distinguishable with the Pixel outperforming the Nexus 5 not surprisingly.

The Nexus 5 and 5" Pixel have almost precisely the same screen size both height and width. But the Pixel 5" has ever so slightly larger top and bottom bezels giving it a slightly different form factor feel from the Nexus 5. That said, the Pixel feels amazingly navigatable one handed in the same way as the Nexus 5. For Nexus 5 owners who have been sitting on the fence to pull the trigger on a new device all these years, well the time is now. The 5" Pixel is everything the Nexus 5 was, and much much more.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It is most definitely worth an upgrade from the 5x

This thread is actually really interesting for me because, I'm thinking of purchasing a Nexus 5x as my daily driver since its got some great prices at the moment. But if everyone is saying the Pixel is such a massive upgrade, it makes me wonder if its worth purchasing.

AndroidBirdie

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Specs-wise the pixel is better and should be reason enough for you to upgrade,in my opinion. But if specs don't matter to you at the moment, and your phone isn't bothering you in any way, wait for a few months. The price of pixel might drop too until then.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
In the last year I have had a Nexus 6P, HTC 10, Note 7 and now Pixel XL.

I think it's a big upgrade over the lot of them. The software is much better and I think the Pixel is a better overall package.

Whether it's worth the upgrade is hard to call as it's up to the individual to decide.

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the Nexus 6 for two years and many Nexus before that. I upgraded just because I thought it was time. Sure a better phone will come out next year. A better one can come out tomorrow technology changes fast gotta just enjoy it.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This thread is actually really interesting for me because, I'm thinking of purchasing a Nexus 5x as my daily driver since its got some great prices at the moment. But if everyone is saying the Pixel is such a massive upgrade, it makes me wonder if its worth purchasing.

Hey Matty, the March 2016 update made the Nexus 5x really good. But I'm reading that Nougat is maybe not so nice to the Nexus 5X. If you get one, I'd recommend flashing the marshmallow build until they fix the issues with Nougat, if they ever do. I didn't update my N5X to Nougat. It is marshmallow 6.0.1 build MTC20F

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta