Is it worth getting the Insurance from the google store, Verizon, Bestbuy or Fi?

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm saving up to get the new Pixel or Pixel XL. But I have been debating that is it worth it getting the Insurance in the google store? How many of you guys purchased the insurance? and from past experience, were there moments that you regretted not having insurance? or is it easier just to pay for repair with your own money.

They say the flagships coming out are solid, so I keep asking myself if that's the case, why would anyone invest getting insurance? We do get one year of warranty for any faulty issues.

I used to have insurance with T-mobile when getting a new phone but I realized that lately I have never had to use my insurance.

I did buy an Asus ZenFone 2 and within the year the screen was flickering. I wasn't the only one having the issue but Asus was horrible on customer service. I couldn't find a number to call the Asus service that was near. I called another Asus service and they said they couldn't give me the number of the service near me. At the end, I had to drive 2 hours to see if they could fix it but they said it could take about 2 weeks to fix it. While I should have left it with them but i was so aggravated that I fixed the issue myself by changing the screen. It was my first time and time consuming. Why I felt maybe I should have either left it with them or paid a repair service to fix it.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
In general, most "insurance" for electronics is just a profit center for the "insurance" company. However, for each individual, the question may come down to "can you afford to pay the full retail cost of a replacement device?" For most of us, that is a "no."

I have never used insurance on any of my phones, but my wife went through four replacement Droid Maxxes (she now has an S7, purchased new). Still, there were "deductibles" paid each time, and we could have bought a new phone for the total amount spent. But my wife is not a phone geek and only wants the thing to work.

Kaiken

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the $99 insurance from the google store. Fairly cheap and with glass being on both sides of this phone, I'm not taking any chances.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Lyrics of insurance a side, looking to SquareTrade. However, it doesn't cover loss.

If someone goes with Verizon, I would pass on the warranty portion and just get the breakage coverage. warranty you're going to be covered, and if you paid with your credit card it usually doubles that to two years

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I purchased the $99 insurance from the google store. Fairly cheap and with glass being on both sides of this phone, I'm not taking any chances.

Do you know if I can get the Google coverage if I bought it from Verizon?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
In general, most "insurance" for electronics is just a profit center for the "insurance" company. However, for each individual, the question may come down to "can you afford to pay the full retail cost of a replacement device?" For most of us, that is a "no."

I hate the insurance they try to sell you, it is such a rip off. There is a reason they push it so hard -- their profit! I am not sure what the math is with the plans you were offered, but think about these things:

What are you trying to insure against? Cracked screen? Loss? Theft? Dead phone?

Those will let you know what the purchase price of the insurance is. For my math, let's call it $100/year. We also need to consider the deductible. Let's call it $150 (that is the number I have seen).

This means in year 1, you are $350 in if you need to use it. That amount of money will cover most issues, except for loss. Even replacing a cracked screen will be less than your deductible. If you don't use it, you still threw away $100.

Worst case scenario, you need a replacement, it will most likely be a refurbished unit. Now go to Swappa.com and see what what $350 will buy you. My quick look showed you can get a Nexus 6p, a Samsung S6 (Note 7 has altered this market at the moment), or V10 for $350. The only way this is going to have a chance to work out in your favor is if you need a replacement quickly, say in 6-9 months or less, particularly in the Android market.

So I would argue that you are much better going the self-insurance route. Heck, after 3 years, if you put that $100 into an account, you are effectively self-insured for a refurbished unit.

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I have never used insurance on any of my phones, but my wife went through four replacement Droid Maxxes (she now has an S7, purchased new). Still, there were "deductibles" paid each time, and we could have bought a new phone for the total amount spent. But my wife is not a phone geek and only wants the thing to work.

This is what I'm worried about. I usually don't break my phone ever. But there's a first for everything. I wouldn't be able to afford the full price but I don't expect either to break my phone. I was thinking buying a case and glass protection for the phone but it would look ugly.

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

It is is cheap when you compare it to what I used to pay for tmobile insurance but pay it at once like the phone put extra in the cost. Makes it harder to get the Pixel XL when you put iinsurance in the costs

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Fi is $5 a month for insurance.. is that worth it? If you never drop or break your phone then no (other than for piece of mind) but if you damage your phone then that $5 a month is worth its weight in gold..

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Bottom line, over years of ownership insurance is seldom a good value. However, for many it is worth the peace of mind, and that is where it's worth comes in.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a Square Trade warranty for accidental drops, damage, etc ( no loss ) for a year. Cost me $69. Got a $20 off coupon. Square Trade paid off on a TV I had with no questions. I usually don't keep a phone more than a year.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I think the BB and Vzw insurance are the same price (10.99 a month) I have it on my main line and it follows the line, not the phone.

I only use it because of loss and theft coverage. I have never broken a phone, but I've had 2 stolen. That's the downfall of the insurance through the Google store, it doesn't cover loss or theft.

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I think if you get a good case and be careful you don't need insurance. If hardware fails I think Google would "take care of you"

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the BB and Vzw insurance are the same price (10.99 a month) I have it on my main line and it follows the line, not the phone.

I only use it because of loss and theft coverage. I have never broken a phone, but I've had 2 stolen. That's the downfall of the insurance through the Google store, it doesn't cover loss or theft.

That is one thing I didn't know about. It's the phone getting stolen. I have had 3 phones stolen already but that was between 2007-2011. Since then I have been very careful where I leave my phone. If it doesn't cover lost, that means I would be paying an extra year for warranty and 2 years of accidental.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The stores offer full coverage which is for phone problems (hardware/software) and for loss/damage. I don't know if they still sell it separately, but they never seem to tell you that you can buy just the loss/damage protection. I figure the phone is under warranty for a year so just go with the damage/loss if you want it.

WoodDA66

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
I live about a 10 minute walk from one of the uBreakiFix stores. $149 for new screen. Since I haven't broken a phone or lost one I'll take my chances.

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Insurance is what it is, insurance. When you need it you'll thank your self you got it. If you don't use it you'll wonder why you have it.

For what it costs it's worth the security to myself.