For those who are looking for notification badges

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Now, for anyone who jump from Samsung, LG, Sony and Huawei. I know some of you had used to the notification badges.

Probably by now you had notice that Stock Android (Pixel, Nexus or Motorola) phones doesn't support the notification badges, so I will just make a post for anyone who wish to have the notification badges on your Pixel phone.

The most common method that most of us to get the notification badges would be downloading third party launcher, one of the few that mostly recommend by the forum members would be:-

Nova Launcher (Best in customization and stick to vanilla feel)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&token=B1VWl85j

But to get the notification badges you needs to download additional apps:-

TeslaUnread
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.teslacoilsw.notifier&token=3Tc-w-9Q

There is some other choices too, such as Go launcher which also allow you get the notification badges.

But for anyone of you wish to stay on the Pixel launcher but still getting the notification badges, well there is some other solution for it. We as a Android user we like widgets right? So there is a apps where you can pin the apps that you wanted to received the notification badges on your home screen:-

Notifyer Unread Count
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...uk.cornwall_solutions.notifyer&token=_aIzLIi5

Personally I am much more prefer with Notifyer as it allow me to stay on my Google Now launcher but also received the notification badges. So there you have it, for anyone of you who wish to have the notification badges on your Pixel phone this would be the easiest way to get it, if anyone of you have better option or recommendation, please share it on the comment section so other member has other option to choose so.

Cheer :cool:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also, today Google's SMS app was updated to support notification badges, which makes it look like they're coming.

Bill the Cat

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Late to the game here, but I just got a Pixel, and while I like a lot about it, the lack of badges almost made me return it. Well, I downloaded Nova Launcher and tried TeslaUnread, but it was having bugs with showing me how many messages I had....sometimes it would show how many *contacts* had messaged me, sometimes how many *messages* I had. So I went with Notifyer. It was working well, although it would not work will all apps, like the Reddit app, but I managed to get it to work for Reddit Sync. Then just today I noticed my gmail widgets, which used to show badges for new emails, had all of a sudden stopped working! Instead, I'm now getting push notifications for new emails, but no badge counts....its possible I changed a setting somehow, because I was playing around with a lot of stuff, but given that Notifyer has given me issues in terms of usability it may be an update that stopped Gmail badges from showing up.

So TeslaUnread is out for me, and Notifyer isn't working....I really wish Google would just produce their own notification badge app, its such a simple and useful tool and it is really irritating they have so many cool features on the phone and not such a simple option for badges. Are there any recommendations besides a Nova/Notifyer combo you could recommend? If I can get my badge issue solved, this will be the best phone I've had in a while, but until then its really, really annoying!

CrackBud

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Beware - TeslaUnread requires the PAID version of the nova launcher (prime) to function. It absolutely does not function with the free version, so you're looking at a $5 fee there.

I've tried Notifyer and with my Pixel XL with all the correct settings and it simply did not show any badge numbers at all for any apps.

Seems there's no good&free solution out there yet... Sounds like an opportunity for a savvy developer!

CrackBud

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Check that, Notifyer did work for Gmail, but nothing else. Specifically I can confirm it does not work for Facebook, Facebook Messenger, or Yahoo mail. So pretty much useless unless you only care about Gmail Inbox unread count.

electroman365

Dec 25, 2017
Visit site
I know I'm late to this but I just want to say I don't know why everywhere I read they say Nova Launcher (with TeslaUnread) now has notification badges when this is NOT true. They do NOT offer this service for free. You have to PAY to get this but you will NOT get badges without paying even if you have TeslaUnread. At first, according to what I read everywhere, TeslaUnread was what I needed to get the notification badges but after installing it and trying every setting it did NOT work.
So again, I don't know why they keep failing to mention that this service is not free.

I have decided I don't need Nova or their TeslaUnread even though it's really cheap to buy it but from all that I read it's not even reliable and it doesn't work with all apps. So, no thanks. I'm just going back to Touchwiz. Nothing wrong with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20