Moto X 14' to a Google Pixel XL?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have been following this deice some on the forums. It seems like a winner for my next replacement. The truth is that my Moto X 14' is still running hard! No issues with it at all....Is this worth the upgrade?

Things that are important to me?

Updates - I always want the latest and greatest software! I also don't wanna root anymore devices. I guess I'm just sorta past that.

Price - Biggest red flag for me....However if its worth it then I can over see it. My Moto X was $450...Looking at doubling its price. Worth it? (NO phones are not and will not ever be bought under contract. Not to mention no financing! I got the cash on hand.)

Device support - I have MADE myself go on a 2+ year rotation. I used to buy one every year but now I'm sticking out with the 2 year model! So while I understand its a no brainer that this should be supported for 2 years I'd still like to hear your opinions.

Any thoughts to a poor lost soul looking for his next device?

Thanks in advance!

russell1997

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have been following this deice some on the forums. It seems like a winner for my next replacement. The truth is that my Moto X 14' is still running hard! No issues with it at all....Is this worth the upgrade?

Things that are important to me?

Updates - I always want the latest and greatest software! I also don't wanna root anymore devices. I guess I'm just sorta past that.

Price - Biggest red flag for me....However if its worth it then I can over see it. My Moto X was $450...Looking at doubling its price. Worth it? (NO phones are not and will not ever be bought under contract. Not to mention no financing! I got the cash on hand.)

Device support - I have MADE myself go on a 2+ year rotation. I used to buy one every year but now I'm sticking out with the 2 year model! So while I understand its a no brainer that this should be supported for 2 years I'd still like to hear your opinions.

Any thoughts to a poor lost soul looking for his next device?

Thanks in advance!

I have the Moto X 2014 (2nd Gen) 16GB of memory. I'm consistently running out of space. I have un-installed apps and i always moved pictures and videos to dropbox and google photo's. I'm not sure why i have space issues unless google and apps have just grown over the last year or so. The device still performs well otherwise. It's as snappy as the day i got it. there are times if i run a memory intensive app or game that it will start to lag or studder a moment or two but it's been one the best phones i've had. That said my pre-order for the Silver Pixel XL 128 is still in pre-order status and like the song says the Wait is the hardest part.

Not sure that really answers your questions but buying a phone at this cost truly comes down to the individual.

I will say that i've not been happy with the camera on the moto x seems like the majority of the close ups i take are perfectly in focus and after i hit snap it's blurs on my. I can't stand that. when it wouldn't' blur the photos it took were actually really good. I'm actually looking forward to the Pixel camera which is not something i usually consider when getting a phone because i have a nice DSLR.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I also have the 2014 Moto X, and seriously considered upgrading to the Pixel. Ultimately I decided against it. Aside from the camera and software updates, the Pixel was not enough of an upgrade to justify the cost. My X still lasts all day, it does what I need it to do, and I really don't care that much about the fingerprint reader. USB-C would be nice (especially as my USB port is a little wonky), but I would be giving up Moto's awesome actions (and Moto Voice in the car is a godsend in a hands-free city).

Others will feel differently, of course, but for those of us who don't need the latest and greatest all the time, I'd say wait until you need to upgrade (or until what you get over what you have is enough to justify the cost).

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This was the time when Motorola was really producing great phones. I loved my droid turbo but couldn't stand the lack of software support and the bugs ruined my experience. The hardware still handled everything very well

I typically suffer from buyer's remorse but the xl is definitely my best experience thus far in android. I'm extremely satisfied and very glad I swapped phones. That said, if the software side is good on the X, I wouldn't upgrade.

russell1997

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This was the time when Motorola was really producing great phones.

very much so!

sadly, it will be forever lolipop (unless rom). I was truely saddened when this model only got 1 year of OS updates. After that I said that would be my last Moto phone even though I thought they made fantasic phones even from the old Bag phone days.

I will say i got a security update last month. I don't get all of them but every once in a while i'll get the nofication and i'm like WWWWHHHHHAAAAAAAA!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
if update is important to you then pixel is the way to go. if you buy now you will have the latest software for 3 years(until 2019 with Android O and P)

since u said your update cycle is 2+ then u will always have the latest