Looking forward, but with some hesitation

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm a smartphone junkie. I've had LG, Motorola, HTC, ZTE, but I always have a galaxy. In spite of the note 7 debacle, they're my favorites. My pixel will be at my door sometime monday. And while I'm looking forward to trying it out, I can't wait for the galaxy S8. Whatever improvements samsung includes, it's biggest selling point will be VIV. This form of artificial intelligence will give Google AI a huge run for the money. When it was first introduced, I saw it in action. It actually works better that Google at this time. Buy the way, I had the opportunity to try a ZTE AXON 7. This is an incredible value that could easily have sold for much more. But lets see if the pixel can deliver especially at it's asking price and now tgat some real world consumer MIXED reviews are starting to pop up.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Within 5 minutes you will realize how tuned and optimized the Pixel is. It is more than just a lag free experience, responsiveness and fluidity is superior to even my iPad. It is also lightening fast in the traditional sense. The note7 feels slow and kludgy by comparison. If you leave a Pixel unlugged overnight, it will lose a couple percent of battery. The note 7 could easily lose 10% or more. If you value this sort of performance, efficiency and user experience more than Samsung's features, than you will be very pleased. If not, and your focus is on not having a retina scanner, or s-pen, or edge screen functionality than you may be holding your breath for the s8. The pixel experience to me showcases how great Android should be. LG, Samsung, HTC and the others have a lot of work to do to catch up. And it is not easy work.

In terms of AI, Samsung has a lot to prove. They have nowhere near the data set and user insight that Google does and I don't see why they even waste their time, but what do I know. We will see how they do.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Within 5 minutes you will realize how tuned and optimized the Pixel is. It is more than just a lag free experience, responsiveness and fluidity is superior to even my iPad. It is also lightening fast in the traditional sense. The note7 feels slow and kludgy by comparison. If you leave a Pixel unlugged overnight, it will lose a couple percent of battery. The note 7 could easily lose 10% or more. If you value this sort of performance, efficiency and user experience more than Samsung's features, than you will be very pleased. If not, and your focus is on not having a retina scanner, or s-pen, or edge screen functionality than you may be holding your breath for the s8. The pixel experience to me showcases how great Android should be. LG, Samsung, HTC and the others have a lot of work to do to catch up. And it is not easy work.

In terms of AI, Samsung has a lot to prove. They have nowhere near the data set and user insight that Google does and I don't see why they even waste their time, but what do I know. We will see how they do.

Everybody mentions the speed.

I can only speak for myself so I will. I've had the iphone for very long. Switched to Android after 4 years of using them. Didn't look back at all. Didn't feel any speed difference. When the 6S plus came out, everybody went bonkers over its speed. Everywhere you look it's speed speed speed so fast quick what not.

So I switched from an S7 to the 6S plus.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Yes it was fast. But so was my S7. And the S6 before that. And the Note 4 before that. And the Sony xperia before that. And my HTC one M8 before that. And all the others before that.

And the fluidity? Yes it matters. But nano seconds of speed and negligible amount of fluidity don't compare to the amazing design, screen, hardware, software features of the Samsung.

I switched back, naturally, to the S7 edge. Forgot about all the speed and fluidity the second I started using it.

It's not much of a transition for people who value an overall experience to just navigating through the UI.

Pixel is amazing for what it is. I haven't gotten a chance to own it yet. And I'm not a hater. I'm just saying that when comparing Samsung and Pixel, speed is the only advantage Pixel has over Samsung. But if you look at it the other way around, the list is never ending.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Funny you'd compare with an iPad. I use a galaxy tab. No issues, but my wife's iPad, really slow. I do hope you're correct though. I'm trying to remain open minded.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Since you already have yours, let me adk if this speed and fluidity is present even if I use Nova Prime or another launcher?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You are crazy to think viv will give Google assistant run for the money. The main thing is data which Google has and also the engineering talent which Google has. Samsung will always be way behind Google, Cortana and may be even Siri. Because Google, Microsoft and Apple are real companies with tons of talent compared to Samsung on the software front. Samsung is a mess of a company who does the best hardware but doesn't know how to take advantage of it.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You are crazy to think viv will give Google assistant run for the money. The main thing is data which Google has and also the engineering talent which Google has. Samsung will always be way behind Google, Cortana and may be even Siri. Because Google, Microsoft and Apple are real companies with tons of talent compared to Samsung on the software front. Samsung is a mess of a company who does the best hardware but doesn't know how to take advantage of it.

Are you familiar with viv? It was created by the developers of siri. Watch their demo on YouTube. It's actually what Google has done with AI. I'm not saying it'll be better or didn't as good. Time will decide. I'm just a bit disappointed that more effort wasn't put into a high priced device.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Pixel is amazing for what it is. I haven't gotten a chance to own it yet. And I'm not a hater. I'm just saying that when comparing Samsung and Pixel, speed is the only advantage Pixel has over Samsung. But if you look at it the other way around, the list is never ending.

It is how speed and fluidity enhance the user experience as a whole which is not easily tangible. The pixel is thought out and executed to an extent that far surpasses anything else I have ever used. I LOVED the note 7, the Pixel is a very different device but I do not miss the note at all.

Not everyone will feel the same way, which is why it is great to have choices.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Funny you'd compare with an iPad. I use a galaxy tab. No issues, but my wife's iPad, really slow. I do hope you're correct though. I'm trying to remain open minded.

I suppose it depends on the iPad, I am referencing the Pro which is freaky fast.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Everybody mentions the speed.

I can only speak for myself so I will. I've had the iphone for very long. Switched to Android after 4 years of using them. Didn't look back at all. Didn't feel any speed difference. When the 6S plus came out, everybody went bonkers over its speed. Everywhere you look it's speed speed speed so fast quick what not.

So I switched from an S7 to the 6S plus.

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Yes it was fast. But so was my S7. And the S6 before that. And the Note 4 before that. And the Sony xperia before that. And my HTC one M8 before that. And all the others before that.

And the fluidity? Yes it matters. But nano seconds of speed and negligible amount of fluidity don't compare to the amazing design, screen, hardware, software features of the Samsung.

I switched back, naturally, to the S7 edge. Forgot about all the speed and fluidity the second I started using it.

It's not much of a transition for people who value an overall experience to just navigating through the UI.

This is all purely your preference and opinion. The reason iphone is so popular is because it runs correct for the features it has. The pixel is the same. It may not have all the "features" but it IS what is supposed to be the ultimate Android experience. I for one would much rather a phone like this that will get direct updates immediately shod an issue arise, rather than a bloated Samsung that will inevitably slow down in time. To me and many it's ALL about speed and fluidity. We just want a well tuned machine.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Are you familiar with viv? It was created by the developers of siri. Watch their demo on YouTube. It's actually what Google has done with AI. I'm not saying it'll be better or didn't as good. Time will decide. I'm just a bit disappointed that more effort wasn't put into a high priced device.
I'm familiar with Viv (makers of Siri) but at the hands of Samsung I believe it'll go nowhere. Just think Google is everywhere and where is Samsung? They don't have the online services to mine the data like Google or Microsoft. They will include Viv in their smartphone, show a bunch of cool demos but overall integration will be lacking. Google assistant will be improving at a rapid rate. They also have the cloud infrastructure to handle the amount of scale needed for this.

If I have to bet confidently then this Samsung thing will be the worst even below Siri because they don't have a ecosystem of services, cloud infrastructure and the culture is just isn't there. Google and Microsoft have, against Apple it's a strong argument that their services are not great and because they are privacy focused they can't mine data like others. But still I don't think or have confidence in Samsung compared to Apple to eventually get this right.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
What sets the Pixel apart is the attention to detail. There's a lot of people who love Android and refuse to use/hate the iPhone. I'm not one of them. I've always appreciated the complete control Apple has had over their iPhone and it shows in not only the software, but the design, too. Google finally stepped into that role this year and the Pixel is a shining example of how good Android can be when it's utilized to it's fullest potential. Yes, the Pixel does not have SD card support, wireless charging, or IP ratings. This is fact. Outside of that, I can't find any real fault with this phone. It's beyond fast, it has a gorgeous display, excellent battery life, a top contender for best camera (if not the best), a solid design, excellent signal in all facets (wireless, wifi, Bluetooth, etc), and it gets updates directly from Google with no carrier interruption.

I told my brother the other day that if you took the Note 7 design and the Pixel software/hardware, eliminated the pen/capacitive buttons/home button, put the fingerprint sensor on the back, and kept the wireless charging/SD card slot/IP ratings, you'd most likely have a phone that no one would dispute is the best period. For my money? Give me the Pixel, but there's a reason why Samsung sells so well.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
This is all purely your preference and opinion. The reason iphone is so popular is because it runs correct for the features it has. The pixel is the same. It may not have all the "features" but it IS what is supposed to be the ultimate Android experience. I for one would much rather a phone like this that will get direct updates immediately shod an issue arise, rather than a bloated Samsung that will inevitably slow down in time. To me and many it's ALL about speed and fluidity. We just want a well tuned machine.

And the whole thing I said mainly referred to the point that all phones nowadays do what they're supposed to. They really really do. I'm not exaggerating I promise. They do. They do it efficiently with speed. Not AS FAST as others, but I won't scrutinise them for nano seconds.

And secondly, yes. I agree with your point on the updates.

But listen man. I'm sure you would agree with this, maybe not because you think I'm against the Pixel which I'm not. All the Nougat features are already present in Samsung. They always have been. In addition to sooooo many more features. I mean... again, you'll point out the speed and fluidity.

Yes it matters. It does. But, not at the cost of a wholesome modern professional features like

Wireless charging
Sleek design
Curved screens
Water resistance
Always on display
Pop-up window apps
Floating apps
Fast camera launch
Gestures and inputs
Power saving tools

And these are just the ones I use.
I mean...

Ahhhh.. maybe I'm wrong. Sorry.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
And the whole thing I said mainly referred to the point that all phones nowadays do what they're supposed to. They really really do. I'm not exaggerating I promise. They do. They do it efficiently with speed. Not AS FAST as others, but I won't scrutinise them for nano seconds.

But listen man. I'm sure you would agree with this, maybe not because you think I'm against the Pixel which I'm not. All the Nougat features are already present in Samsung. They always have been. In addition to sooooo many more features. I mean... again, you'll point out the speed and fluidity.

Yes it matters. It does. But, not at the cost of a wholesome modern professional features like

Wireless charging
Sleek design
Curved screens
Water resistance
Always on display
Pop-up window apps
Floating apps
Fast camera launch
Gestures and inputs
Power saving tools

I mean...

No one is right or wrong. It's just our opinion..thats it.

I'll take the way my pixel runs over any Samsung to date.. Yes without all those goodies you list too.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Since you already have yours, let me adk if this speed and fluidity is present even if I use Nova Prime or another launcher?

fluidity is across the board on Pixel. i have a 6p and my wife has Pixel but pixel is so smooth and fluid across the board. my 6p sometime janks even after a fresh install. I am yet to see janks on pixel. some apps might be coded badly and will jank even with pixel but for that developer has to be blamed but i believe nova has done a good job

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Wireless charging
Sleek design
Curved screens
Water resistance
Always on display
Pop-up window apps
Floating apps
Fast camera launch
Gestures and inputs
Power saving tools

I mean...

I don't think you're off base with this at all. There's a reason why Samsung is so successful and those things you listed have a lot to do with it (the Pixel is just as fast to launch it's camera by double pressing the power button, by the way). Samsung's approach is to bludgeon you with features and hope that the average consumer will love/use/acknowledge them. Google is taking the minimalistic approach, hoping that the superior software experience with faster updates will be what the consumers want.

Honestly, this thing with Samsung couldn't have happened at a better time for Google. Brand recognition is huge with Samsung because if you ask anyone to name a cell phone, the first thing they'll say is "iPhone". Second? "Galaxy". If that's taken a hit, Google can potentially slide right into that mix. As far as it pertains to which one is the superior device, it's completely subjective. I always buy both (Nexus/Pixel and Galaxy S/Note) so I see the advantages on both sides. Gun to my head? Give me a simplistic UI with ridiculous touch response/speed, fast updates, and good hardware behind it.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

This is part of the beauty of Android, personally preference and options differ among different people. Unlike Apple we have a choice which is a good thing. You may feel as though Samsung phones have a lot over the Pixel however I completely disagree. For me having owned 3 Samsung phones in the past, I cannot stand TW, I do not like the form factor and never liked the physical home button, etc.

So for me there are a lot of advantages other than just "speed", but to you maybe there are other features more important.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you're off base with this at all. There's a reason why Samsung is so successful and those things you listed have a lot to do with it (the Pixel is just as fast to launch it's camera by double pressing the power button, by the way). Samsung's approach is to bludgeon you with features and hope that the average consumer will love/use/acknowledge them. Google is taking the minimalistic approach, hoping that the superior software experience with faster updates will be what the consumers want.

Honestly, this thing with Samsung couldn't have happened at a better time for Google. Brand recognition is huge with Samsung because if you ask anyone to name a cell phone, the first thing they'll say is "iPhone". Second? "Galaxy". If that's taken a hit, Google can potentially slide right into that mix. As far as it pertains to which one is the superior device, it's completely subjective. I always buy both (Nexus/Pixel and Galaxy S/Note) so I see the advantages on both sides. Gun to my head? Give me a simplistic UI with ridiculous touch response/speed, fast updates, and good hardware behind it.

You're right. I think I'm in the minority. Because frankly all I care about is how sexy the phone looks :D they're all fast to me. I've never had a phone which I could call slow or fast. And I've had a loooot of phones.

I think that's the reason I don't care about the little things anymore. Every phone I get, they get me through the day just fine without any hesitation. Where they differ is when they're just lying there not being used.

I need a phone which looks the best. And should have the best camera. That's all I care about now. And I know I'm in the minority. These are weird preferences to have for a phone :D haha

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
This is part of the beauty of Android, personally preference and options differ among different people. Unlike Apple we have a choice which is a good thing. You may feel as though Samsung phones have a lot over the Pixel however I completely disagree. For me having owned 3 Samsung phones in the past, I cannot stand TW, I do not like the form factor and never liked the physical home button, etc.

So for me there are a lot of advantages other than just "speed", but to you maybe there are other features more important.

True true true :)

I don't like the home button either btw. Worst piece of hardware put by Samsung.