Pixel not receiving group MMS

ZeroMGA

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Haven't been able to find a thread indicating anyone else with a Pixel is having issues with group MMS but here goes:

Switched from my iPhone to a Pixel. I disabled my iMessaging, per Google instructions, before removing my SIM card. I transferred the SIM card and used the adapter to move my iPhone data to my Pixel and set it up from there.

Everything works fine except that when we some friends and I use group MMS, one fails to download every time. It's a Samsung S7 user, and he can message me directly, SMS or with media, without issues. However when he sends to us as a group, my phone cannot receive his.

We're both using AT&T, and this issue was actually rampant on my HTC One M8 I had before. Missing multiple people's MMS group messages, plus the message app locking up for entire minutes at a time, was what drove me back to the iPhone. I hated being on an iPhone again, so I really want this to work out, but having almost the same issue again is disheartening.

I spoke with Google support, they had me try safe mode and sent me some articles about SMS/MMS not working from iPhones, but the issue is with another Android user and safe mode had no effect.

Any ideas?

Tanooki2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have a similar, yet different problem with MMS. Everything was working fine using Google Messenger as my SMS and MMS app. I also use the Facebook messenger app for group FB chats. Yesterday I accidentally hit something in that app that set it as my default for text messages also. Last night I switched the default back to Google Messenger, but it won't send group texts or photos. FB messenger won't do group MMS for some reason. I can't figure out what I need to do to fix this. Seems like it is my phone and not the other people like in the solution above. Any ideas?

Hagendas

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I am having a similar problem so I'll reply/post here until I find a more applicable thread. I have a Google Pixel XL thru Verizon. I can only receive MMS messages in the default text messaging app when I have network data on. If I have network data off but Wi-Fi on then MMS messages don't download.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I am having a similar problem so I'll reply/post here until I find a more applicable thread. I have a Google Pixel XL thru Verizon. I can only receive MMS messages in the default text messaging app when I have network data on. If I have network data off but Wi-Fi on then MMS messages don't download.
That's how MMS works.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's how MMS works.

That is how MMS will work unless your carrier supports WiFi calling and you have it enabled.

Strife21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
On that persons iphone who you are not receiving group texts from have them go to settings > messages > "send as SMS" enabled. That will fix the issue.

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I noticed it too, I use verizon messenger and in group message I get lot of 'download' buttons and I have to click on each download to see the message

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I noticed it too, I use verizon messenger and in group message I get lot of 'download' buttons and I have to click on each download to see the message
That's normal due to MMS being a file instead of just plain text due to it sending it to the group. See if the app you use has an auto download for MMS setting. That would resolve the issue.

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
That's normal due to MMS being a file instead of just plain text due to it sending it to the group. See if the app you use has an auto download for MMS setting. That would resolve the issue.
It's the Verizon messenger and it is already enabled.

a94c5d8c71be750ec93c74a7b723a12d.jpg

Jwikoff99

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I had to uninstall Verizon Messages, uninstall the updates to Google's Messenger, clear the cache, then reboot. Then Messenger finally started sending/receiving MMS without data or WiFi on.

Ramper48

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
I seem to have a similar, yet different problem with MMS. Everything was working fine using Google Messenger as my SMS and MMS app. I also use the Facebook messenger app for group FB chats. Yesterday I accidentally hit something in that app that set it as my default for text messages also. Last night I switched the default back to Google Messenger, but it won't send group texts or photos. FB messenger won't do group MMS for some reason. I can't figure out what I need to do to fix this. Seems like it is my phone and not the other people like in the solution above. Any ideas?

Ditto! Issues over here. Pixel 2 just arrived, using Cricket wireless. Straight away wasn't receiving MMS so called Cricket support. We figured out that the APN info wasn't correct, fixed that, now I can send and receive MMS like pictures, from one person, but my group chat function in Android Messages just fails. Doesn't even try to be a group, everyone's response comes to me phone in it's open thread and just says Tap to Download even though I have it set to automatically do that.
Help please! I've got weddings and bachelorettes coming up and much to discuss in group messages!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180404-161243.jpg
    Screenshot_20180404-161243.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae