Free unlimited storage with google photos

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out how google photos works and how the pixel gives a benefit. The way I understand is all users of google photos get free uploads for photos 16mp or less. Meaning all the photos loaded from my iPhones and other devices I'd get unlimited storage anyway since none have ever been over 16mp. If I want to save pictures in their original format over 16mp then I need to upgrade and pay I think is how it works.

So what benefit does the pixel offer in terms of google photos unless your current cell camera is above 16mp? Perhaps I'm missing something. And how does it work with videos for other devices? Free if the associated cam is 16mp or less?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out how google photos works and how the pixel gives a benefit. The way I understand is all users of google photos get free uploads for photos 16mp or less. Meaning all the photos loaded from my iPhones and other devices I'd get unlimited storage anyway since none have ever been over 16mp. If I want to save pictures in their original format over 16mp then I need to upgrade and pay I think is how it works.

So what benefit does the pixel offer in terms of google photos unless your current cell camera is above 16mp? Perhaps I'm missing something. And how does it work with videos for other devices? Free if the associated cam is 16mp or less?

Standard unlimited scales 4k video to 1080p. With a pixel 4k video is unlimited. It was weird that they said it's unlimited photos...but, as you said...it was already free.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

It's because with photos on other devices using the unlimited option even though they keep the same resolution with 16MP and under they still compress them so they aren't the original photos. That's why they call them "high quality" and not original quality, they are a smaller file size.

With the Pixel they are actual backing up unlimited photo's with the original file size.

There is a difference.

Last edited:

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Correct. The pixel does nothing for your other devices, only photos uploaded from the pixel itself get free uncompressed storage.