Accessories that We Say Work...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate that Benson and company have posted a spreadsheet of recommended cables and chargers. It's a great resource.

But, what I want to explore in this thread are accessories that we here at AC can confirm work with our Pixels at affordable price points. In some cases, Benson-approved cables have reviewers that say they just don't work for them. I want to know what this community can confirm for cables, wall supplies and car chargers that are affordable alternatives to the $35 Google charger and the $25 Google cables, and than can achieve full PD charging performance.

I currently own two OEM Google chargers for the Pixel b/c I wanted full PD-compliance now. In time, there will be less expensive alternatives, like $18 chargers, $12 cables and the like. Some are hitting the market now.

So, what are the fully-PD compliant cables and chargers that you own and can confirm achieve full PD-compliance resulting in rapid charging on a Pixel.

I'll start:

Car charger: Aukey $18
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5534036
This is 100% verified, by me (sorry Benson), works to achieve PD-performance in my car using the OEM Google C to C cable.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I currently own two OEM Google chargers for the Pixel b/c I wanted full PD-compliance now. In time, there will be less expensive alternatives, like $18 chargers, $12 cables and the like. Some are hitting the market now.

However if you need a charger and cable you'd still be paying $30. Just pointing out that the OEM charger they sell for $35 isn't that bad of a deal for a charger and cable we know is fully compliant with the Pixel.

I like the Benson reviews because he looks at and tests things we cannot see or tell by just plugging in and charging (things like internal wiring and such). I do have my eye on that Aukey car charger because it looks like a good deal.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
However if you need a charger and cable you'd still be paying $30. Just pointing out that the OEM charger they sell for $35 isn't that bad of a deal for a charger and cable we know is fully compliant with the Pixel.

I like the Benson reviews because he looks at and tests things we cannot see or tell by just plugging in and charging (things like internal wiring and such). I do have my eye on that Aukey car charger because it looks like a good deal.

Agreed - that's why I bought a Google charger immediately.

Eventually, the PD-compliant chargers will get affordable, as will the cables, and Benson's list will also eventually get updated.

But, the Aukey car charger for instance is not on Benson's list yet, and any new Pixel owner will be thinking they have to pay nearly twice the price for the Belkin. I figured we need a way to share truly confirmed - by us - products that we can buy with confidence as they hit the market - not when Benson gets around to updating his spreadsheet.

Personally, I am waiting for a PD-compliant cable that one of us says works on our Pixels for an affordable price.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The belkin does come with a USB-C cable though so keep that in mind. I bought it and am using it. The Aukey doesn't, but the one thing that I really like about the Aukey is that it is a dual charger that can support other non USB-C devices/charge 2 at once.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought the verizon USB A to C cable and the USB C car charger. Both Verizon branding

And you can confirm that when you use the Verizon car charger and the USB A to C cable you achieve rapid charging status?
If the answer is "Yes", can you please provide the URLs or product numbers?

My understanding is that if there is a USB A connector anywhere in the mix, PD-compliance, and therefore rapid charging, will not happen. Reportedly, the USB A connector just doesn't have the wiring to support PD - so it should be a pretty binary yes/no, go/no-go based on wiring.

This is the kind of stuff I'd like to understand about USB A, USB C, and PD specs.

Thanks!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
And you can confirm that when you use the Verizon car charger and the USB A to C cable you achieve rapid charging status?
If the answer is "Yes", can you please provide the URLs or product numbers?

My understanding is that if there is a USB A connector anywhere in the mix, PD-compliance, and therefore rapid charging, will not happen. Reportedly, the USB A connector just doesn't have the wiring to support PD - so it should be a pretty binary yes/no, go/no-go based on wiring.

This is the kind of stuff I'd like to understand about USB A, USB C, and PD specs.

Thanks!

Both do rapid charging. I don't have the product packaging anymore. Sorry!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Both do rapid charging. I don't have the product packaging anymore. Sorry!

Thanks for that and I understand about the packaging.

To the degree we can, it would be great to have exact product info that us Pixels owners, and new owners to come, can order and know that full PD rapid charging is ensured. So, I'll wait to list Verizon's cables as confirmed, as they have cables for sale in-store and on-line and who knows, they may be different.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Geez...
This product has no cited PD capabilities whatsoever (as far as I can tell) and it provides full rapid charging on a Pixel? As in the Pixel says "Charging Rapidly" on the bottom of the screen when plugged in?

If so, maybe this is too random a task to try to nail-down!

Yes the pixel says rapid charging at the bottom when it's plugged in.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've asked for some specific forum members who understand PD-spec to weigh-in on this.
It would be great for Pixel owners to be able to navigate this PD-spec landscape in a consistent manner.
So far, I've seen that we can:

- Pay $30 for a C to C PD compliant cable (it says so, and Benson agrees) and it provides full rapid charging every time.
- Pay $10 for a non-PD compliant wall charger that an owner reports provides PD compliant rapid charging.
- Pay $22 for a C to C PD compliant cable (it says so, Benson hasn't reviewed it yet) and some owners complain that is does not provide rapid charging, some do.

This is a mess.
Maybe it's time to punt on providing product-specific guidance so early in the cycle?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You can't use rapid charging as an indicator of USB PD. If it's like the Nexus phones last year they indicate rapid charging if the phone is receiving at least a certain wattage. So there is a variance to rapid charging. Even a charger that doesn't output a full 3A by 5V can show the phone as rapid charging.

For example it's possible to use a USB A charger which can do up to 2.4A and have the phone report it's charging rapidly. So that would be a wattage of 12W. So that would charge a little slower than a charger that provides 3A by 5V or a USB PD adapter that does 2A by 9V. But they are all considered rapid charging by the phone.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Are there really so many dodgy chargers on the market? Is this something that you guys think will eventually be phased out? Or would the hardware in phones make it a non-issue through safety precautions?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You can't use rapid charging as an indicator of USB PD. If it's like the Nexus phones last year they indicate rapid charging if the phone is receiving at least a certain wattage. So there is a variance to rapid charging. Even a charger that doesn't output a full 3A by 5V can show the phone as rapid charging.

For example it's possible to use a USB A charger which can do up to 2.4A and have the phone report it's charging rapidly. So that would be a wattage of 12W. So that would charge a little slower than a charger that provides 3A by 5V or a USB PD adapter that does 2A by 9V. But they are all considered rapid charging by the phone.

Thanks for the info - again!
Actually doesn't clear things up however, for those that want to easily, and affordably purchase PD-level charging performance cables and chargers.
Oh well...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Are there really so many dodgy chargers on the market? Is this something that you guys think will eventually be phased out? Or would the hardware in phones make it a non-issue through safety precautions?

What I am after here isn't necessarily focused on safety and dodginess, but rather how can we easily purchase real PD-performance cables and chargers at affordable prices, now. I realize that eventually, this stuff will sort-out based on lots of customer experiences. I was hoping to nail-down something specific in the near-term.

twmanga1

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site