GPS lock on Pixel/Pixel XL (particularly Waze)?

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A poster who bailed on the Pixel XL for the V20 cited GPS issues as one of his reasons. This concerns me -- my current Note 4 has been pretty bad when it comes to GPS, particularly when using Waze. So I've been looking forward to a new phone without this issue. Can anyone with a Pixel/Pixel XL confirm that the GPS locks on properly (again, particularly when using Waze)?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on conditions (trees with thick leaf covering eat GPS signal like shielding), it can take up to 4 minutes to achieve first lock when you turn the GPS on. It's not the phone, it's how you're using it. (Consider yourself lucky - 10 years ago, most GPS receivers wouldn't work with an asphalt roof [shingles] overhead. Now getting a GPS fix indoors isn't a problem unless you have a metal roof.)

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Depending on conditions (trees with thick leaf covering eat GPS signal like shielding), it can take up to 4 minutes to achieve first lock when you turn the GPS on. It's not the phone, it's how you're using it. (Consider yourself lucky - 10 years ago, most GPS receivers wouldn't work with an asphalt roof [shingles] overhead. Now getting a GPS fix indoors isn't a problem unless you have a metal roof.)

I probably shouldn't have said "lock," because it's beyond just getting an initial fix. The Note 4 (mine and numerous other folks') routinely loses GPS in Waze even on a wide open highway in an urban/suburban environment. It doesn't happen with my wife's S7.

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pixel with a Spigen case and use Waze everyday to and from work. I've never had any issues with GPS locking on.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I took a 3 1/2 hr trip this weekend and used the phone's GPS the entire way. I used google maps though. I had no issues with the GPS losing lock but i did notice when i got out of the car the GPS icon wouldnt go away even after force closing maps. I had to reboot to keep it from sucking my battery dry. Sounds like a completely different issue.

mehdi_s82

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I have same problem. Talked to Google support wasn't useful. they say reset the phone and see if it exists, we'll replace the phone. But I'm afraid the replacement might have the same issue

petermpls

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I tried the guidance of a poster over on XDA since I had issues with Waze accuracy and frequently recalculating routes. I cleared Waze data and cache, uninstalled and reinstalled, and then did the figure 8 motion with the phone to recalibrate the compass / GPS. I am seeing a big improvement.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It was a problem for me and didn't know why Google map works but waze doesn't? Then I found out cause waze didn't have permission to access GPS for some reason. Once I grant access to it, it works fine.

p1r473

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
I am having severe problems with mainly Waze (I tried with Maps too... same thing) where its constantly either having no GPS, losing GPS, being completely inaccurate, or working fine.

I tried switching from Waze to Maps, taking it out of the case, nothing.

What I am doing now, and I have to do it before EVERY drive, is to use GPS Status & Toolbox, and reset the GPS state, and redownload the GPS-A, every drive.
So far thats working the 2 times I tried it today, but... it's annoying, and not a long term fix!!

I have no idea what to do

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if you have some other app which is grabbing a total lock on the GPS service...

Download this tool https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.FireFart.Permissions2&token=h3buJwOd and then scroll down to "access precise location (GPS and network-based)" and expand to see a list of apps with permission to access the GPS. Consider temporarily disabling any non-mainstream app.

I just returned today from a 1,400 mile road trip during which I used both Google Maps and Waze on my Pixel XL without any problems at all.

63MM

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
For accuracy Waze and maps work just fine for me. However, there is no audio when using Waze in my car (Audi) but there is when I use Google maps. I have disabled "play sound over car speaker"

Any thoughts?

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I've had no GPS issues with Waze or Maps. However, the compass is horribly inaccurate in Maps and doing the figure 8 thing doesn't seem to help...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For accuracy Waze and maps work just fine for me. However, there is no audio when using Waze in my car (Audi) but there is when I use Google maps. I have disabled "play sound over car speaker"

Any thoughts?

I haven't actually tried this with Maps as I generally use only Waze while in the car. But, anyway, what I have found is that once I establish a Bluetooth connection with the car's audio system, Waze voice navigation always tries to push through the car audio, even if that is not the currently active audio output. In other words, if I am currently listening to FM radio or Sirius, the Waze audio simply goes nowhere. This happens in three different cars I have tried it in and the only solutions seem to be either to listen to my phone's music library on the car audio (and thus Waze navigation comes through over the music) or disable Bluetooth on my phone (thus Waze navigation comes through the phone's speaker instead of trying to route to the car's audio).

On the other hand, it's been a while since I have looked at this and I note that in Waze settings, there is now the option "Play sound to phone speaker" which was turned off. I will have to test this on the way home from work later today...

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
What Google says about the compass: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6145351?hl=en

You can't get it perfect, but you can get it close. :(

I tried this and it made no difference at all. The compass is still between 90* and 180* off and often shows the wide beam in maps. Maybe I need to wave it around for longer than the 20 seconds I did?

EDIT: I tried it again and now it seems to show the blue beam in the correct direction in Maps. It's still usually showing the wide beam though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles