Bad network on Project Fi? Use Fi Info App!

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
While I'm normally connected to WiFi at work, I was wondering why my cellular signal was so bad in a metropolitan area when there are 3 carriers available in my area, two of whom I know to be very strong.

I saw someone post this app somewhere else, and decided to give it a shot:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.mbmc.fiinfo&token=WBfchpi_

It lets you see which cellular network you're connected to, US Cellular/Sprint/T-Mobile. Turns out I was connected to Sprint. To force it to switch, all you do is click the carrier on the widget, and paste the code in the dialer, and it changes.

On sprint I was barely getting 1 Mbps download, and upload was worse. I forced it to T-Mobile, and I get way better! 23.75 Mbps down, and 14.86 up!

I recommend this for all fellow Fi users who weren't already aware of it!

Widget

In app, you can see I was connect to Sprint, then switched to T-Mobile.

Speed after switching:

Nesquik

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the informative post! It's strange though google fi doesn't automatically do this for you and select the best available network.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the informative post! It's strange though google fi doesn't automatically do this for you and select the best available network.

I know, I've been sitting here wondering why my old phone on US Cellular had a way better connection at my work, when this new phone had a pretty bad one. I figured it must not have been switching correctly, so a little research helped me find this app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21