"Ok, Google" Security Issue?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Got a PIN? Great. Have your fingerprint set up? Great. Got your voice set up for "OK, Google" as well? Well....then you could be in trouble.

I just tested this on mine and it's legit. You say "OK, Google" to activate the assistant, then simply press the Home button and you're unlocked on your home page. So if the device incorrectly identifies someone else's voice as yours, they can get into your phone. I didn't usually keep my old Moto X PIN locked but I thought it limited the voice interactions and required a PIN unlock to get deeper into the phone.

I'm not sure if this should be considered a security issue or if the voice recognition itself is considered a security feature.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F189840252&token=fBksyatc

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: "Ok, Google" Security Issue?

Just to note you can disable this feature, it's trusted voice option. But yeah it unlocks your phone if enabled.

983129ced751aa50cb582ebdf0fc0345.jpg

Trusted face is another smart lock option that can be less secure.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As stated above you have to train it to know your voice and turn that feature on. If you are truly worried about it you can turn it off.

I had a coworker just try and unlock my phone. I did it first and it worked fine. I locked the phone and then he tried doing "OK Google" and it prompted this message (it prompted on the lock screen but I unlocked to take a screenshot of the error / message). Once it showed that message it forced PIN / fingerprint and wouldn't even unlock with my voice till I unlocked it one of those ways first.

1478102386803.jpg

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If somebody is less lazy then me, try to record you saying OK Google and see if your recorded voice unlocks your phone... :)

Momof9Blessings

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I was talking to a guy at Best Buy the other day about Ok Google.... He was concerned that his co-workers would be always teasing him about it and saying "OK Google". So we tried many ways for him to do it on my phone and it did NOT work. I don't have any security on my phone either....

Now I am a woman and he was a man - so enough differences in our voices.... :)

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Phenix14

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
If you happen to be someone who uses Smart Lock, it might just be better to leave Trusted Voice off anyway. My phone stays unlocked when it's connected to my watch anyway so no need for Trusted Voice...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad