Pixel - Signal dropping (Update: Google Knows)

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon Pixel XL - Dropping calls?

Add me to the list of Pixel owners experiencing WiFi/LTE signal dropping issues. They started for me after the December 7.1.1 OTA update build NMF26O. Here are the signal issues:
LTE (T-Mobile)
- dropped calls
- sometimes I will hear the person on the other line, but they can't hear me.

WiFi
- dropped calls when WiFi calling enabled and sometimes I will hear the person on the other line, but they can't hear me
- when on WiFi I can receive SMS (stock Messenger app) but not send; turning off WiFi is required in order to send SMS

It was impossible to have an effective conversation with my family on Christmas day. Pixel would drop the call every couple minutes. I finally gave up and swapped the sim back to my Nexus 5X to make calls. I'm going to try a factory reset this evening, but based on the fact that the process has been ineffective for others I'm doubtful the reset will resolve the issues. smdh

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site

Are you running the latest build that was just released on Tuesday? That seemed to make the hollow bars I was getting along with dropped calls stop

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Are you running the latest build that was just released on Tuesday? That seemed to make the hollow bars I was getting along with dropped calls stop

That's good to hear man. I haven't received the January OTA yet. Hope it resolves the issues for me as well.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site

I hope they work out for you too once you receive the update. I have owned 3 pixels and my last one I had microphone issues with which is part of the reason I exchanged it for my current one.

All 3 of them have had poor connectivity and LTE issues but I would say the update might be a good place to start as now I'm not so sure if my mic issues were caused by the poor connectivity or the actual mic itself. Seems the Google experience is interesting and different for everyone that owns one

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

So you are finally free from the hollow bar issue?

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site

I've only seen it twice. Once last night and once today but it only lasted about one second and then bounced back, unlike in the past. I have a feeling in time while they try to iron out some of these other bugs that it may improve a little more.

From my findings in some recent readings some are saying that their camera is freezing up and it may be do to poor connectivity issues. I personally don't see how this would tie together but then again stranger things can and do happen

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Add me to the list of Pixel owners experiencing WiFi/LTE signal dropping issues. They started for me after the December 7.1.1 OTA update build NMF26O. Here are the signal issues:
LTE (T-Mobile)
- dropped calls
- sometimes I will hear the person on the other line, but they can't hear me.

WiFi
- dropped calls when WiFi calling enabled and sometimes I will hear the person on the other line, but they can't hear me
- when on WiFi I can receive SMS (stock Messenger app) but not send; turning off WiFi is required in order to send SMS

It was impossible to have an effective conversation with my family on Christmas day. Pixel would drop the call every couple minutes. I finally gave up and swapped the sim back to my Nexus 5X to make calls. I'm going to try a factory reset this evening, but based on the fact that the process has been ineffective for others I'm doubtful the reset will resolve the issues. smdh

Alright, so yeah, as of this morning this pos Pixel decided that it doesn't wanna hold the LTE signal. What happened between last night when I went to bed and when I woke up this morning?? I didn't install any apps. I didn't change any cellular settings. I was able to get it to connect after a restart. But it would stay connected for literally two minutes. Another restart would be required to re-connnect to LTE momentarily. Tried safe mode - didn't work. Turned off advanced LTE - didn't work. Then I manually switched it to 3G. It has stayed connected for about two hours now. I rebooted with all my apps and so far it is staying connected.

It is an unacceptable solution, but at least I can use the pos now. So essentially I paid $811 for a Nexus 4 in 2016. Brilliant Google, just absolutely brilliant. I ought to take this pos to mountain view and throw it with all my might threw one of their windows.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Alright, so yeah, as of this morning this pos Pixel decided that it doesn't wanna hold the LTE signal. What happened between last night when I went to bed and when I woke up this morning?? I didn't install any apps. I didn't change any cellular settings. I was able to get it to connect after a restart. But it would stay connected for literally two minutes. Another restart would be required to re-connnect to LTE momentarily. Tried safe mode - didn't work. Turned off advanced LTE - didn't work. Then I manually switched it to 3G. It has stayed connected for about two hours now. I rebooted with all my apps and so far it is staying connected.

It is an unacceptable solution, but at least I can use the pos now. So essentially I paid $811 for a Nexus 4 in 2016. Brilliant Google, just absolutely brilliant. I ought to take this pos to mountain view and throw it with all my might threw one of their windows.
Try
*#*#4636#*#*
Three dots
Radio Band
Cellular 800

You need to also check your account and make sure HD calling is activated. Sounds like it may have been disabled if your having to turn off HD calling. This is all if your on Verizon.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Try
*#*#4636#*#*
Three dots
Radio Band
Cellular 800

You need to also check your account and make sure HD calling is activated. Sounds like it may have been disabled if your having to turn off HD calling. This is all if your on Verizon.

Yeah already checked that out before my post. A re-check confirms my initial check on that.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Curious. Has most people's hollow bar problems been fixed with the updates? Or, has everyone just gave up? I see this thread is not active like it once was.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
The return of the hollow bar for me. Dropped phone calls on Wi-Fi . Just not posting so I'm not accused of making anything up. Signal not as solid as it was starting to see numbers in the -116 area. Nothing short of disastrous for me.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Seems as if Google can come up with everything but solutions on how to permanently fix their own creation ! Poor LTE, Poor Bluetooth, Poor Wi-Fi . All things most people need a cell phone for. Considering this phone has been out for 3 months now and no permanent fixes in site, I'm very doubtful we will see anymore. I think this is as good as it's gonna get

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The return of the hollow bar for me. Dropped phone calls on Wi-Fi . Just not posting so I'm not accused of making anything up. Signal not as solid as it was starting to see numbers in the -116 area. Nothing short of disastrous for me.
I am sorry for you. I have not had any issues at all. I think it is time to go with another phone other then the Pixel. I hope you have better luck with you next choice of phone. If you have a phone to fall back on stick with it until the S8 arrives. It looks promising.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I seriously think that is what I may end up doing . As much as I hate to admit it the new Nokia line running Android looks good to me too. Back in the day Nokia made a great phone and I am sure their new line may be just as good. Carl Zeiss camera lens for starters

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

I have poor signal at home with Verizon. I have started turning on airplane mode, then turning on WiFi. It seems to save the battery a lot. That might help you out when your at home at least. Of course you have to remember to turn airplane off when you leave. Or, use an automated app like Tasker.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Connectivity isn't fixed for me in spite of trying everything known and read on this forum. Still seeing hollow bars at times and dBm's that start at -90 which is very acceptable and then just by moving as much as a few inches from where I was, dropping to -114 dBms's. I hardly called that fixed.

I had 2 friends that I work with stop over at my place on Friday night, both on Verizon. 1 with an iPhone 7 plus the other with a Motorola. Both of their phones within the -85- -90dBm range and no hollow bars. What Matty032 was so kind to provide the link to in his last posting are suggestions of things that one can try, maybe for some that were not aware of these other things you can try to see if you have any luck, but while they may be a permanent fix for some, they do not work for all. I know as been stated many times in the past, many do not have these issues and or any issues at all to speak of, others are not so lucky in this respect. As of this week sometime, I will be moving on to another phone, until this is permanently fixed, or will wait it out until something else comes out and catches my eye. 3 months with something that still can not function as phone for some people is too long to wait, without hearing the same old story "Google is aware of these issues and is working on a fix"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech