phone has only one outstanding feature, it's fast and smooth.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Guys, it's a phone. Is it a great phone? Clearly. Is it a perfect phone? No because that doesn't exist and likely never will. At the end of the day it's just a damn phone.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Part of this post is meant to address everybody that asks if they should upgrade to this phone from their current phone. If they are looking for something that does everything marginally better than their current phone, then yes. If they're mostly happy with what they have, then it's hardly worth the expense to this phone as it's not doing anything much that their current phone doesn't already do well.

I came from a Droid Turbo 2. I like having the latest and greatest, but this hardly does anything much better than my Turbo 2 did

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Having owned dozens on flagship Android devices in the past years, I can tell you with 100% confidence that ALL android phones start out smooth.... apps and daily usage quickly change that in as little as a few weeks.

The hands-off file system of iOS is what keeps iPhones running so well. The fragmented, every-man-for-himself file structure of Android is its downfall - as well as its biggest perk.

Until that changes, the fate of all android devices will be the same. When the processors get faster, it will just take a bit longer before they inevitably slow down.

Oh, iPhones slow down too. Lets not play this like they are immune to slowing down. While I will agree that iPhones do better than Androids when it comes to app load slowdown, almost every iPhone I've had my hands on (read many of every variant of iPhone since the iPhone 3gs) immediately start showing signs of slowdown after their first major iOS update, with or without a complete factory reset (which I have actually found more necessary for iPhones than at least the android phones that I have owned).

My 6p I wouldn't have ever noticed there was a hint of it going slower than the first day I got it until I brought the Pixel home.

YMMV of course, but bloat-free android (EDIT: Since Lollipop) holds up pretty well, and in my experiences, better than iOS ever has.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Having owned dozens on flagship Android devices in the past years, I can tell you with 100% confidence that ALL android phones start out smooth.... apps and daily usage quickly change that in as little as a few weeks.

The hands-off file system of iOS is what keeps iPhones running so well. The fragmented, every-man-for-himself file structure of Android is its downfall - as well as its biggest perk.

Until that changes, the fate of all android devices will be the same. When the processors get faster, it will just take a bit longer before they inevitably slow down.

My 6p is as smooth today as when I got it a year ago.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My 6p is as smooth today as when I got it a year ago.

Same here, Just don't load mine up as a lot of folks do and keep it clean. Not a big deal. All my flags are as fast as day one.
Side note: I was not impressed by the pixel enough to want to buy one. Thought the assistant was a bit over hyped. A.I. is coming tho and better, much better.

chadrob30

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
No I can't, and that's part of my point. It just seems that people out there are making it sound like this is the first thing that's ever been able to slice bread
Wait....what? Where is the bread slicer button? Mine must be a lemon or Verizon has this feature locked down.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Um, how about Active notifications, twist for camera, chop for flash light wireless charging. That's at least 4 not so small things to have. I won't rehash it here, but almost everybody has commented on the lack of active notifications and wireless charging

The Z doesn't have wireless charging (you have to buy a $90 mod, which makes it more expensive than the Pixel), you know metal back. And since moto's active notifications no longer breathe, it essentially works the same way as active display. Twist for camera = double press power button. Chop for flash is cool though.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Wow, I must have gotten a good one. I just sold my 6P after a year, and it had zero lag or any other problems.

images.jpg

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I have been using a Nexus 5X since June, and apparently many people report issues with it slowing down and becoming laggy. I have not encountered those problems, but I try to eliminate unused apps, delete various caches periodically, do a reboot once or twice a month, etc. But, having said that your argument that the only things going for the Pixels are the camera and the fast, smooth operation sound like two real biggies to me! Those are two of my top requirements in any phone. Stuff like wireless charging I consider fancy "nice-haves," but not "must-haves."

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I will really miss wireless charging but if the camera is good and I can unlock the bootloader I think I can deal with it. This phone is no Note7 but then again, none are. I hope Samsung can fix whatever the issue was and release a Note8. Until then, I will use the Pixel XL as long as I can unlock the bootloader.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

So just back it up and factory reset every now and then.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One year later and my 6p is as smooth as when I got it. People have this weird belief that Samsung is just how all Android is.

While I agree Samsung isn't all there is I can say after using the Pixel going to this 6P loaner is very noticeable. The 6P isn't slow but once you adjust to a faster phone you can notice some differences pretty easily.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
While I agree Samsung isn't all there is I can say after using the Pixel going to this 6P loaner is very noticeable. The 6P isn't slow but once you adjust to a faster phone you can notice some differences pretty easily.

It is all what you are used to. Having a super fluid comparator like the Pixel can create a jarring experience when you go back to another device. My Note 7 felt different to me after using the Pixel for a bit, which was surprising to me. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it again quickly because it was not bad, it just was not as smooth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon