My Google Pixel XL's Untimely Death

mackie8

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Planning to get in australia to use in singapore... do u think google will still honor warranty? Pixel is not officially release in singapore..

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if it's the same across all carriers but I'm all the years with Verizon they have always done it that way. I'm surprised they replaced my first pixel due to 4g lite and connectivity issues with a brand new phone unless it depends on availability. Second phone still waiting for update as it is no better then first .

Frankiefaithful

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
41 days since Google received my friends phone. How long does he have to wait? Although I don't have any problems with my Pixel, after hearing about my friends experience, it's very discouraging. I cannot be without my phone for over a month. How long is he supposed to wait?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
41 days since Google received my friends phone. How long does he have to wait? Although I don't have any problems with my Pixel, after hearing about my friends experience, it's very discouraging. I cannot be without my phone for over a month. How long is he supposed to wait?

Depends on his issue and what they see. Mine was a very fast turn around.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Well how should I start this ... First things first. I love my Pixel phone and I think it is a great phone for me. I have been enjoying the camera and the assistant feature a lot during my daily routines. I have no real complaints -- as most say the Pixel isn't an "OMG it does (X) so much better" but more so it executes everything it does well and quick. The only issue I have had is I got a lemon. I have the 128 GB Pixel XL (Black) version (Google Store).

Story time

Last night I got home around 12:30ish (maybe a little later) after going up and hanging with my brother at bowling then his house. All was well with my Pixel except the phone seemed to not want to connect to WiFi calling and the LTE was acting weird. I don't get the best T-Mobile signal at home but usually around 8 Mbps LTE so it should function. Due to it being late (and me being lazy) I just said ehh screw it I will reboot --- that is where the issue started.

The Pixel shut down but never turned back on to finish step 2 of a reboot -- turning on. It simply sat there dead and lifeless. I thought maybe it is having a hiccup so gave it some time but it still wouldn't turn on. I tried everything you can think of ... I tried booting with SIM in/out, on the charging cable, long holding for more than 10-15 seconds on power, booting into recovery, plugging into my PC to see if it saw, etc. etc. -- Sadly nothing was resurrecting my phone. The only thing I noticed was if plugged in for 15 or more minutes it got warm like the battery was charging although the screen never indicated this. I accepted defeat, woke up my gf, and simply told her to wake me up in the morning when she goes to work since I don't have an alarm. Also to add on to this -- I have only used the official charger that came with the phone. I did buy another charger but it is another official 18 W one from the Google Store that I had as a spare.

Resolution / How to fix?!

Once the gf woke me up this morning I did my daily routine in the morning. After that I hopped on the PC and got in touch with Google by calling their 24/7 support line (via Google Voice on my PC). I spoke with a guy who had me try basic troubleshooting (even though I had tried it already) but I can't blame him for doing his job. He asked me to plug it in for at least an hour and give it the 1 more time try. He sent me an email before getting off the phone so I could reply later and let him know the result. I did as he asked and once I got to work I replied and told him -- no go. I advised the phone was still dead and asked what're the next steps?

A Pixel Support person replied to my email (not the original guy from the phone) and asked me for a few things (Name, IMEI, Order #, where did I ship the phone before, etc. etc.). I gladly provided all this information to him and waited. He responded in about 15 minutes with a special URL for me to use to order a replacement. I clicked it, chose where to ship my phone, and my replacement order was submitted. It will be here on Nov. 8th-9th. They are of course going to put a hold on my credit card for the phone till they get the one I have back which is fully okay with me since that is how most businesses do these type of replacements.

What is your point on this post?

I just wanted to tell the story of getting a lemon and having to go through this process. I will say I am very happy with Google as they responded quickly and got me a replacement without much pain / hassle to me. All in all just calling, doing a few things, and having a replacement ordered that same morning I contacted them was a big "WIN" for me in my book. It does suck having to wait over the weekend to get the replacement but in reality it could have been a lot worse. I am satisfied on how it was handled.

Had the exact same issue about a month ago with my Pixel XL that was only a couple of weeks old. Went through same process and had a brand new phone the next day. I was shocked because I thought for sure I'd be getting a refurbished device. Customer support was outstanding despite the fact that I did not purchase the device directly through the Google store.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My XL just stopped charging. I bought it on Swappa, but my purchase included the device protection plan. I filed a claim online and it was denied. I called Assurant and they reported to me that the device was still covered under the manufacturer warranty. I called Google and sure enough, my phone is being replaced. I was going to use the express replacement, but I have a backup phone in the interim and shipped it off yesterday. I am please with Google's customer service. I had no drama at all even though I am not the original buyer and I didn't purchase the device from Google.