File transfer PC > Pixel

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone getting an error when trying to copy files from a PC to the pixel?

"Cannot copy File name" "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."
Capture.PNG

I have tried different ports and computers (both being Windows 10)

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yup! sometimes I can get it to copy a picture or 2. Oddly enough I tried using a usb 2.0 usb C cable instead of the usb 3.0 one supplied and it seems to be working better.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is your phone going to sleep? Do you have any stringent battery-saver modes (or apps) setup?

You might try using the free version of Airdroid to copy files over a Wi-Fi connection.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
This is a continuing problem. I had it all set up, working fine, then today plugged phone in as I have done three times before since I got the laptop to recognize it, and it did recognize but said empty file.
Showed nothing was on the phone. I have used about 30 gb of the 128. Lotta stuff on there. Hello?
I had wanted to transfer some files from my laptop to my phone. Ended up plugging in a little Sony
thumb drive that has a regular usb plug on one end and a usb c on the other. I had to format it in the phone to use it but I did manage to transfer the files that way. Solid explorer didn't read it but the built in file explorer did. But what happened to the connection between the laptop and the phone?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just in case it is not absolutely clear - when you connect to your PC, you must unlock the phone with pin/pattern if it is locked and you must then pull down the notification shade, tap on "USB for charging" and change it to File transfer mode. You must do this every single time you connect to your PC; the setting is not sticky as it was in earlier versions of Android OS.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem with some office PDF docs. If you rename them to a shorter name they transfer without issue.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Just in case it is not absolutely clear - when you connect to your PC, you must unlock the phone with pin/pattern if it is locked and you must then pull down the notification shade, tap on "USB for charging" and change it to File transfer mode. You must do this every single time you connect to your PC; the setting is not sticky as it was in earlier versions of Android OS.

Did all that.

Strife21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
"Cannot copy File name" "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

So I had this exact same problem using the front two usb 3.0 ports on my computers case, even though they worked fine with every other device. However all the ports on the back of the computer worked fine with the phone tried both usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports. No idea why it happens.

Oddly enough i attached the cable for the cases front usb ports to a different usb 3.0 header on the motherboard (I have two usb 3.0 heads on the board) and it works fine using the other lead. Very strange.

I cant figure it out either.

Strife21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Its 100% not the drivers (if it was it wouldn't work when I switched the headers), that being said the drivers are up to date. I have 8 USB ports on the back of the board and every one of those works fine including the usb type c one.

Just odd that one header doesn't work but works with all other devices fine.

Just to note this is on a custom built PC using a Asus Z170 Maximus Hero VIII motherboard.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34