Okay Google

thebearden2

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone else not stand the phrase "okay Google"? Alexa rolls off the tongue nicely, and okay Google is as far from rolling off the tongue as possible.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I use "hey Google" on my Google home which is way better than OK Google. I'm hoping that hey Google works on the phone as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me. I don't have an echo so never got used to saying Alexa. I have been using OK Google for years so it is normal for me.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
One of the things I do miss about my Moto X experience has been the custom launch phrase. "Los Pollos Hermanos" was fun to say but definitely not something that would ever casually be mentioned or misinterpreted.

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
That's my fav restaurant! I tried to have a meeting with the owner there once but he stood me up because my parter was a junkie.

lordratner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I like Google products, but I don't like saying it. The smart home of the future should not share the name of a search engine. At a bare minimum we need a list of names to choose from

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone else not stand the phrase "okay Google"? Alexa rolls off the tongue nicely, and okay Google is as far from rolling off the tongue as possible.

I don't like the fact that if someone just wants to steal my phone they can make me say ok Google and it will unlock for them. Lol.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I just wish I could use one word. There are ways to half Alexa to change the name. I would love to make Google something simple to say. Jarvis would be great. ^.^

Hey Google and Okay Google is too many syllables for how often you need to say it. Which seems to be a lot.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
One of the things I do miss about my Moto X experience has been the custom launch phrase. "Los Pollos Hermanos" was fun to say but definitely not something that would ever casually be mentioned or misinterpreted.

GUS!! :D

Anyone having luck using "Hey Google" on the Pixel??

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the fact that if someone just wants to steal my phone they can make me say ok Google and it will unlock for them. Lol.

How is that any different from them forcing you to use your fingerprint (if you somehow ever got in that situation)? :).

bmoguy

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather just be able to double tap, or long press the fingerprint sensor as opposed to having to repeat any phrase to get its attention.

nmichaleski

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. Changing mouth shape from "ay" to "goo" is not easy to do in a smooth manner for most. She still manages to understand though. Has anyone tried to do the voice setup procedure and simply say something else?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Changing mouth shape from "ay" to "goo" is not easy to do in a smooth manner for most. She still manages to understand though. Has anyone tried to do the voice setup procedure and simply say something else?

I don't mind it, other than the fact that my phone perks up every time a Pixel ad comes on TV...

You can disable this under Settings -> Google -> Search & Now -> Voice -> "Ok Google detection" ->disable "Trusted Voice" (when enabled - which it is by default - "Ok Google" can unlock your device when it believes the sound matches your voice model).

I never tried it, but there's a 3rd party app that purports to let you change it. How To Change Google Now Command From Ok Google To Something Else | WtfAndroid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx