Verizon Pixel XL on AT&T Getting HSPA

lazygregg

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
my wife has the google store version and gets LTE. I was also getting LTE recently and now it went away?
Also when I place my wifes sim card into my phone I get LTE

nxtgenphone apn settings give me NO DATA

only the following gives me anything but its HSPA

I'm using
Data settings Smartphones
Name ATT Phone
APN phone
Proxy Not set
Port Not set
Username Not set
Password Not set
Server Not set
MMSC http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port 80
MCC 310
MNC 410
Authentication Type None
APN type default,mms,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol IPv4
Bearer Unspecified

any ideas?

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Your account needs to be provisioned for LTE with AT&T. You need to have a SIM provisioned with the IMEI of an AT&T-branded phone in order to get LTE data speeds - that's why you get LTE with your wife's SIM. It's a sneaky thing AT&T does to discourage the use of unlocked phones. There are ways around it - get the IMEI of an AT&T LTE-capable phone and use that with customer service when activating the SIM. It doesn't need to match the IMEI of the phone you are using, it is only for account provisioning purposes. Then you should be good to go.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Is this a new thing? I've never had a problem slapping a new sim into a non att phone and getting LTE.

No, it's not new. If you already had an AT&T LTE phone then you would be all set.

But AT&T doesn't automatically provision accounts for access to the LTE network. If you buy a branded AT&T phone, then they use the IMEI of that phone to provision your account for the appropriate services, including LTE. You can then swap that SIM into any LTE-capable phone (with the right LTE bands for AT&T) and get LTE data. It's only an issue when you are new to AT&T and trying to use an unlocked device or are swapping a SIM from an older phone to an LTE phone for the first time (this one is probably less of an issue these days).

This has been an issue on AT&T for a few years now and has affected unlocked phone users mostly. AT&T doesn't have the IMEIs of the unlocked devices in its database and defaults them to 3G/HSPA service if you try to use the unlocked phone's IMEI to activate a SIM. It was an issue for Moto X Pure edition owners a few years back. The work-around is to get the IMEI of an AT&T branded LTE phone and use that to activate a SIM. Then you can swap that SIM to as many phones as you would like with no problems.

lazygregg

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
No, it's not new. If you already had an AT&T LTE phone then you would be all set.

But AT&T doesn't automatically provision accounts for access to the LTE network. If you buy a branded AT&T phone, then they use the IMEI of that phone to provision your account for the appropriate services, including LTE. You can then swap that SIM into any LTE-capable phone (with the right LTE bands for AT&T) and get LTE data. It's only an issue when you are new to AT&T and trying to use an unlocked device or are swapping a SIM from an older phone to an LTE phone for the first time (this one is probably less of an issue these days).

This has been an issue on AT&T for a few years now and has affected unlocked phone users mostly. AT&T doesn't have the IMEIs of the unlocked devices in its database and defaults them to 3G/HSPA service if you try to use the unlocked phone's IMEI to activate a SIM. It was an issue for Moto X Pure edition owners a few years back. The work-around is to get the IMEI of an AT&T branded LTE phone and use that to activate a SIM. Then you can swap that SIM to as many phones as you would like with no problems.

is there any other workaround bc all my phones are unlocked

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
is there any other workaround bc all my phones are unlocked

You can go into an AT&T store and grab the IMEI of one of the display phones, call into customer service and use that IMEI to get your SIM provisioned. Or you can buy a cheap AT&T LTE phone, and use the IMEI from that phone for the provisioning.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm following this discussion correctly but want to make sure I have no issues when my Pixel arrives. Right now I have an AT&T iPhone 6. When I get my Pixel I should be fine just putting my current SIM in the Pixel and I'll get LTE, correct? What If I sell my iPhone 6? If someone else activates it with the same IMEI does that cause a problem? Is there no way to get LTE on AT&T without having to have an AT&T branded phone/IMEI?

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm following this discussion correctly but want to make sure I have no issues when my Pixel arrives. Right now I have an AT&T iPhone 6. When I get my Pixel I should be fine just putting my current SIM in the Pixel and I'll get LTE, correct? What If I sell my iPhone 6? If someone else activates it with the same IMEI does that cause a problem? Is there no way to get LTE on AT&T without having to have an AT&T branded phone/IMEI?

Correct - just pull the SIM (assuming they are the same size) and put it in the Pixel and you should be good to go.

It's a little confusing because AT&T makes it that way. They require your account to be provisioned to get LTE service. The only way to do that is with the IMEI of an AT&T-branded LTE phone. You only have to do it once (ever) then you can switch the SIM to any other phone you wish. The key is getting your account provisioned the first time. If you come to AT&T with an unlocked phone you'll need a workaround to get LTE. Once your account is provisioned correctly you should be good "forever". You'll be fine since you had an AT&T iPhone 6.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I walked into AT&T with an unlocked Moto G (3rd Gen) and I get LTE on GoPhone. Do they only do the provisioning to post-paid lines? Or is this more recent (because I have had the GoPhone for over 2 years)?

I'm only mildly curious because the GoPhone is a secondary line I used to port a land line. My primary phone is a Moto X Pure on VZW.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Correct - just pull the SIM (assuming they are the same size) and put it in the Pixel and you should be good to go.

It's a little confusing because AT&T makes it that way. They require your account to be provisioned to get LTE service. The only way to do that is with the IMEI of an AT&T-branded LTE phone. You only have to do it once (ever) then you can switch the SIM to any other phone you wish. The key is getting your account provisioned the first time. If you come to AT&T with an unlocked phone you'll need a workaround to get LTE. Once your account is provisioned correctly you should be good "forever". You'll be fine since you had an AT&T iPhone 6.
AT&T is my carrier, and I am currently using an AT&T branded LTE phone. However, it uses a Micro SIM and the Pixel XL uses a Nano SIM. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36