Verizon Pixels to build NDE63X today - 11/7

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I was just going to create a new thread asking if anybody with a Verizon's Pixel or Pixel XL has received an update, it's funny that Samsung/T-mobile released the November 1 Security Update for the S7/S7 edge and our Pixels haven't received it yet.

I was also concern about using a Verizon phone on T-mobile or any other Network, as it's the first time I do this and was beginning to think that maybe not receiving the update is because of like AT&T does that if you don't have an AT&T sim card on it you don't get the OTA. So, do you know if with Verizon is not like AT&T and we'll be able to do OTA updates with other carrier's Sim cards on the phones? I hope so and I know that maybe today I'll know for sure if I finally get the OTA but I just want to be sure, thanks.

Last edited:

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I was just going to create a new thread asking if anybody with a Verizon's Pixel or Pixel XL has received an update, it's funny that Samsung/T-mobile released the November 1 Security Update for the S7/S7 edge and our Pixels haven't received it yet.

I am not 100% sure, but I *think* Samsung's update is the October security patch. We are about to receive the November security patch, with other updates such as BT improvements.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not 100% sure, but I *think* Samsung's update is the October security patch. We are about to receive the November security patch, with other updates such as BT improvements.

It may be, but it clearly shows that is 11/1/16 Security Update, so I sincerely doubt Samsung will be trying to fool people with this, they are in enough problems right now with the Note 7 issue that I don't think they are that dumb to try to play that game with their customers on their only latest flagships.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
"But again, I would imagine the November security patch is included in there. We should know fairly soon, like once Googlers wake up and head into work about 10AM."

This is from the link in Almeuit's post

dpeters11

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
It may be, but it clearly shows that is 11/1/16 Security Update, so I sincerely doubt Samsung will be trying to fool people with this, they are in enough problems right now with the Note 7 issue that I don't think they are that dumb to try to play that game with their customers on their only latest flagships.

Security patch level 11/1/16 doesn't include all fixes, 11-5 fixes a bunch more, then 11-6 adds one on top of that. There's something like 49 CVEs included in the 11-5/11-6 patches that affect the Pixel that weren't in the 11/1 update.

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2016-11-01.html

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Security patch level 11/1/16 doesn't include all fixes, 11-5 fixes a bunch more, then 11-6 adds one on top of that.

Thing is that Samsung/T-mobile released the OTA on Friday 11/4/16, so for all instances they released the latest Security patch at the moment, so it's weird for me that Samsung may release an OTA for a carrier branded phone even earlier than Google themselves.

Only thing I can add is that reading over XDA it seems that there is a policy I didn't know and I can't verify it's true that Google just release Security Updates the first Monday of each month, so today being the first Monday of the month is the reason that they hadn't release it until today, and yes, it seems that there is still no OTA update yet but the Full Images and OTA images have been posted today for those that want to sideload it.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Only thing I can add is that reading over XDA it seems that there is a policy I didn't know and I can't verify it's true that Google just release Security Updates the first Monday of each month, so today being the first Monday of the month is the reason that they hadn't release it until today, and yes, it seems that there is still no OTA update yet but the Full Images and OTA images have been posted today for those that want to sideload it.

This would explain why my Pixel has: "Security patch level: October 5, 2016". Anxious to see how the day goes.

dpeters11

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thing is that Samsung/T-mobile released the OTA on Friday 11/4/16, so for all instances they released the latest Security patch at the moment, so it's weird for me that Samsung may release an OTA for a carrier branded phone even earlier than Google themselves.

If the device lists 11/1 as the security patch level, it won't have all the patches. Now, for some devices there may be patches that don't apply because some of them are drivers and such. There are a lot of driver fixes in the 11/5 update, but not all of those fixes are.

Pixels are getting the 11-5 update apparently. Blackberry is using 11-6 on the Priv.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Anyone get the update yet?

No, I gave up on waiting and just downloaded the OTA Image and sideloaded it, so still I'm not sure if I was going to receive the pushed OTA update or not.

Anyone with a Verizon phone but with another provider on it received the OTA Update? It will be a pain if it's just like ATT's phones and need an ATT card to be able to download the updates. Even when the sideload process is not that bad nothing is easier than just receive the notification and press ok when ready to update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa