Google Pixel Keyboard (having trouble typing without misspelling words)

Strife21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Coming back to android from an Iphone 6 I got the google pixel and love it. I am however having trouble typing on the keyboard without misspelling words. Much more so then on the iphone. Now this is bound to happen but seems to be happening an awful lot.

Sometimes when I try to press a letter its hitting the wrong one. Does anyone recommend a different keyboard to use that may help with this or any tips?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
It's probably just a learning curve thing. Hell, I usually use Swiftkey pretty religiously, but have stuck with the stock keyboard this time around. For the first week and a half I don't think I spelled one word right...

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I use SwiftKey and have noticed that I keep making typing errors usually related to unintended spacebar presses.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I've been battling this issue as well since day one. It was really bad so I did a factory reset yesterday and now it's 100 times better.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Did you guys turn on the key outline? The keyboard without outlines around the letters was hard to type on. I added the outline option, and it's easier now, but still not as easy as my Note 4 keyboard was. I mostly use the swiftkey style typing instead, much easier.
48ef21a5e9f095b892044a784ce370e4.jpg

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My keyboard skin is the same one I used on my Moto XPE. I think it's just getting used to the new screen's touch sensitivity that is causing me some of the typing issues. I may have been more "ham fisted" on the old screen and need to be more precise on this one. That's my current working theory, anyway.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Too funny - I simply cannot type on an iPhone keyboard without messing up constantly. I especially hate the fact that the keyboard does not make it immediately obvious whether you are in caps mode or not as Android keyboards do (by changing the face of every key on the keyboard).

Anyway, are you aware that you can easily change the size of the default Google keyboard? Go to Settings -> Languages & input -> Virtual keyboard -> Google keyboard -> Preferences -> Keyboard height. You might find accurate typing a bit easier if you expand the keyboard somewhat.

As mentioned above, I also like the Swiftkey keyboard; its layout is highly configurable - worth a try.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, are you aware that you can easily change the size of the default Google keyboard? Go to Settings -> Languages & input -> Virtual keyboard -> Google keyboard -> Preferences -> Keyboard height. You might find accurate typing a bit easier if you expand the keyboard somewhat.

I have been meaning to try this, and it actually helped. I however, made it shorter! This brought it closer to what my Note 4 keyboard was.

I too hate the iphone keyboard. Whenever I have to type on my wife, I mess up a lot.

Applejunkie66

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
iPhone keyboard does have lower case letters and have for awhile. I too am much more proficient on an iPhone keyboard. I will also add that I prefer the key birders but it makes the Spacebar larger when you change it. One other thing of note is that I've got some shortcuts saved in the Google dictionary but it doesn't seem to remember them like it did on my Note 7.

xkoolaidislifex

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
My only beef with the stock keyboard is that the number row isn't persistent, and the only way to make it be persistent is to change the layout of the entire keyboard.

Strife21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
This thread helped a lot. Putting the borders on the keys in preferences has helped quite a bit.

What are the advantages of swiftkey btw?

Stephen Wojtila

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Go into your settings of the keyword and add borders to the keyboard buttons. It CHANGED MY LIFE. Apple keyboards have borders on the keys - you won't even realize it, but it will help your typing to much. Good luck!

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

Robert Bryant5

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
I have just got the pixel and I'm struggling with keyboards. I like fleksy but the predictive text and auto correct are a joke, which is a big shame as it is best for typing for me. I also use an iPhone 7 and that is so much better to type on than this and I have to say I've never had so many typing issues on any other android device I've used and that's a pretty long list!

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have just got the pixel and I'm struggling with keyboards. I like fleksy but the predictive text and auto correct are a joke, which is a big shame as it is best for typing for me. I also use an iPhone 7 and that is so much better to type on than this and I have to say I've never had so many typing issues on any other android device I've used and that's a pretty long list!

I too have an iPhone 7 that I type on frequently. Closest keyboard to iOS for me is the Gboard with the key borders turned on. I still make mistakes but Gboard has been great at catching and correcting them. It's not perfect, but better than others I've tried.