Anyone "Tainted" Their Pure Google Experience With Amazon App Store?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
More of a fun post than serious...I am heavy into the Amazon Ecosystem at my house but I've yet to install the Amazon App store on my Pixel as I'm trying to keep it as pure Google/Android as I can. The only app I really need is Amazon Video and I do like to grab the "free apps" from the Underground from time to time. Guess I can still do it but with this being my first pure Google Phone, been holding off. I know it won't make my phone experience worse but just haven't done it yet...

Anyone else hesitating?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done it but not because of trying to stay pure -- more because I don't stream much from Amazon. I say if you do then go for it. Don't gimp yourself from the experience you're used to :D.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't done it but not because of trying to stay pure -- more because I don't stream much from Amazon. I say if you do then go for it. Don't gimp yourself from the experience you're used to :D.

I don't stream much either but it comes handy when needed... :)

Steven Robinson2

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone "Tainted" Their Pure Google Experience With Amazon App Store?

I don't get it. I use Amazon underground Apps all the time because it is free. Why would there be an hesitation to do do?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The point of this thread?

Curiosity...pure curiosity...just wondering if having the Amazon App store loaded causes any problems, quirks, etc. I know I used the Microsoft Apps app and it seemed to install apps through it and not the Play Store. But I'm thinking it piggy backed off of the Play Store. Just wondering if others are wanting to keep it pure Google/Android or load some third party app stores on it.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I have Amazon Underground, Amazon music and Amazon video.
I have an Amazon Prime account so I figure I might as well get whatever usage I can out of it.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have Amazon Underground, Amazon music and Amazon video.
I have an Amazon Prime account so I figure I might as well get whatever usage I can out of it.

True...I have Amazon Music, Kindle, Alexa...just didn't know to what level the Amazon App store would interfere with the OS. May give it a shot... :)

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I have used it in the past because of the free app giveaways, until I realized that:

1) the apps got crappier and crappier
2) they are 9 times out of 10, older versions that won't become updated or have certain features removed and won't be updated
3) yes you can find some apps cheaper but again, check the version numbers...usually they are outdated.

I'd rather have 1 all store and pay for apps (through Google rewards credits) for an app that will actually be updated and sold as the seller claims

Amazon app store is useless in my opinion

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I have seen instances where an app gets updated via Google play, but it doesn't show on Amazon apps. Only reason I know is I got some apps free from Amazon underground and couple that were on a huge sale on Amazon. Found out later when new features were added in updates on Google play, they weren't on Amazon. Couldn't get those updates unless I repurchased them via Google play store.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to install the Amazon app store app to get Amazon apps. Just install Amazon underground and you can get everything from there.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Not a fan of the underground app... They are slow to update to be compatible with new versions of Android. The whole time I had nougat on my Nexus I couldn't get underground app to install or update.

The only flippin reason I keep going back to underground is for the instant video app. I'm about ready just say forget prime.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I installed it just to get Amazon video. No issues with anything thus far. I was wondering if I could uninstall the amazon Underground app now and just keep the Amazon Video app? Will it still update?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what has been said here. Using Amazon apps to access my Prime content -- movies and music -- is a no brainer. I used Underground for a while, but found I don't want their free apps. Google Play is much easier.

To date I have installed Audible (can't live w/o that app) and Amazon Music. I may pull down movies as some point, but it is more useful on my tablet.

Jerry A

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Biggest beef with Amazon Video on Android is that it's limited to SD. Or lack of Google Cast support. Always flip-flopping between which bothers me more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol