Is 32GB enough for you?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I am curious if others who got the 32GB Pixel or Pixel XL start to worry if that will actually be enough? I have the 32GB Pixel XL and have only used 8.94GB of the available storage leaving me a little over 20GB available. I still question myself if I should have got the 128GB model instead but I am outside of my return/exchange period and refuse to pay full retail cost up front lol

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5X, Pixel and Pixel C are 32GB so I know I can live within that. My 6P is 64 GB and Pixel XL is 128 GB. I always try to buy the highest storage option available, not necessarily because I need it but because I want OEM's to keep making them with higher options. I think 32 is probably fine for most people, but especially for phones without SD card slots, maxing out sorta makes sense.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 5X, Pixel and Pixel C are 32GB so I know I can live within that. My 6P is 64 GB and Pixel XL is 128 GB. I always try to buy the highest storage option available, not necessarily because I need it but because I want OEM's to keep making them with higher options. I think 32 is probably fine for most people, but especially for phones without SD card slots, maxing out sorta makes sense.
Indeed. I got anxious and got the only available option at my local Verizon. Online they are backordered until mid to end of November for the 128GB XL. eBay and Swappa has them selling around $1,200 which is ridiculous. So I will stick with my 32GB XL lol

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, no but this isn't my daily driver. That'll be my 256GB 7 Plus.

Even Google finally realized it, they want a bigger piece of the pie. Charging $150 CAN more for the 128GB. Clearly an Apple move. Not hating it's smart move.

They could've easily stick to releasing just the 64GB which would've made everyone happy and easier on our wallet.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, no but this isn't my daily driver. That'll be my 256GB 7 Plus.

Even Google finally realized it, they want a bigger piece of the pie. Charging $150 CAN more for the 128GB. Clearly an Apple move. Not hating it's smart move.

They could've easily stick to releasing just the 64GB which would've made everyone happy and easier on our wallet.
Would have been nice with a 64 GB option.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Would have been nice with a 64 GB option.

64 would have been a happy medium! They went from one extreme to the other just because Apple did it.

Now there are rumors that next years iPhone 8 is going to be offered in a "5" inch and 5.8 inch. Does that mean that is going to be the new standard and everyone is going to be judging handsets offered next year based on that? Lol

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
64 would have been a happy medium! They went from one extreme to the other just because Apple did it.

I read somewhere (probably on those forums, but couldn't be certain) that they skipped 64GB because of some supply issues - no idea if that's correct or not. Hopefully there will be a 64GB option in next year's model.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Of course there'll be a 64GB because the next option will be 256GB. Another $150 CAN to think about. LOL

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
This is very subjective and largely dependant on usage. For me it stung more than a little that they're charging $100 for the storage upgrade (more so than the base price tbh), but I still paid it even tho I could absolutely live with 32GB (and have, in my Nexus 5).

I already use a lot of storage for music and I like not having to micro manage it, things like 4K recording and Daydream apps will only add to my usage... I tend to max out on phones w/o mSD if possible, not so much on tablets. At least it's a decently fast UFS storage solution.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Why is it either 32 or 128? 64 would have been ideal for most users.... [url]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/slave2_ragdolls/2103.gif[/URL]

Probably easier to source 32GB or 128GB UFS modules than 64GB ones, specially if other suppliers and phone makers are ramping up to use 64GB as the base/only option on flagships w/removable storage next year... It also makes it easier to charge a premium for the next tier up and milk some profits that way.

128 would sell a lot less (and would be even harder to swallow for $100) if 64GB was available, and 3 storage tiers in 3 colors and 2 sizes would be that much more of a hassle.

So it's a mix of supply chain vs smaller OEM and bean counters having their say. HTC didn't even use UFS storage on the 10, so any modules bought for Pixel production were exclusively for that and probably the first time they sourced them. I would've been over the moon with just a base 64GB option myself, alas...

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I got the 32gb XL, I would have like the 128 but wanted the phone that day. I bought it last weekend, the verizin lady said it would ship Monday!? I guess she was clearly lying about the stock?? My last 2 phones were a 32gb gnex, then a 64gb turbo and now this. The turbo I had a lot of free space. So far I have 14.75 of 29.70 used so I think I'll be fine. Would have liked the 128 though....

I bought the 64gb turbo because I thought the high res camera (I dump photos about mi that anyway) and the fact that in the future who kniws what will be in my phone so I played it safe. But in the end 32 was still enough so I made the call to live with 32. If absolute needed I'll carry my turbo for music

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am curious if others who got the 32GB Pixel or Pixel XL start to worry if that will actually be enough? I have the 32GB Pixel XL and have only used 8.94GB of the available storage leaving me a little over 20GB available. I still question myself if I should have got the 128GB model instead but I am outside of my return/exchange period and refuse to pay full retail cost up front lol

It's enough for me because I bought a ZTE axon 7 mini for media because of the incredible sound it has . With built-in dolby atmos, and special audio chips, it's no wonder tech writers everywhere rate the A7 & A7 mini as having the best smartphone audio.

Wouldrow

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I quickly found that 32gb wasn't enough for me. I cancelled an earlier order for a 128gb QB XL to get a 32gb unit because I had a string of flights coming up (Note 7 user). After loading all of my apps (video stuff, games for me and kid's games) along with my music, I had less than half capacity. So I returned after a week and reordered the 128gb.

I don't stream music often, so if I didn't have my music library on the phone, I could probably make 32gb work. I also take lots of videos of my kids and edit them quickly on the phone. On a week long triple , we've accumulated up to 10gb of video before.

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I went for the 128gb mostly because I keep a good bit of offline mapping stuff on my phone. If it had an SD slot, I would have gone 32gb, knowing I could add more if I needed to later. But I didn't want to take the risk, so I got the bigger phone. I've got a little under 18gb used right now. That probably won't grow very quickly, but at least I know I won't start to run out of space in a year if my needs grow.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You'll just have to be more conscious of what you put on your phone. You have unlimited storage for photos and videos which will be very helpful. I think about 7.5 GB is used by the the phone so you actually have roughly 25gb to play with. I just ordered 128 GB version because I have 64 on my Note 4 and it's nearly full. Especially if you're going to keep the phone for 2+ years it might get dicey with only 32 gigs.

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I grabbed the 32GB XL. It's going to be plenty for me. Granted, I just download the apps that I need and use regularly. I'm not a gamer, so I don't download those either. I'm at about 14 GB used at the moment and I have everything downloaded that I currently think I need. Like a couple have mentioned already, it really is subjective. I constantly cache data and close apps, etc. so I really do think that I'll be fine with my 32GB variant.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I went for the 128. I keep my music on my phone because I spend a good amount of time where there's no internet or cell service, and I don't want to carry around a separate music player.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey