Pixel XL to Pixel? Anyone??

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a black Pixel XL 32GB. The local Verizon has the Pixel Black 128GB in stock, I could swap and save about $20...

The 128GB + 1080P display should provide better performance.. but I am worried that the display wont live up to the QHD displays i've come to know and love.

Has anyone made this switch? Regrets?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have considered it as well but as soon as I held the Pixel I went back to my XL. The regular Pixel is a beauty and works just as well as the Pixel XL but the smaller form factor felt awkward in my hands. Probably because I've had the iPhone 6S+, iPhone 7+, and now the Pixel XL. I'm just used to it. If it does not feel awkward to hold I say go for it. I wish I had the 128GB XL but they are always out of stock and I am not really wanting to throw down $900+. Lol

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Tough choice. when there were delays with my phone (128gb XL) they tried to push me towards the 128 over the 32 XL because they knew I preferred the larger size (TBH 64 gb would be fine for me) Luckily while in the store I got a notification that my 128XL was going to be shipped to the store soon so in the end I got what I wanted.

I would walk into a store and honestly spend 20-30 minutes playing with one doing what you would normally do on the xl and see how you feel about the difference in terms of the screen.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I have never been wanting for more pixels on my regular Pixel. I was used to the Lumia 950 which has a 5.2" QHD display, and I have never really noticed a difference, though I have not tried any VR. If you want to use that, then you may want to stay with the XL.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think OP cares about size, his only concern is the screen resolution... if that's his only concern I'm gonna just say most eyes won't see the difference between a 1080P screen and a qHD screen.

Last edited:

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
If resolution is your only concern you will not notice a difference unless you put them side by side and look at different things on them. Even then you may not notice much.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I know size is a personal preference but I'm so burnt out on big phones that 5" would be sweet IMO.

ajamudc

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My wife has the Pixel and I have the Pixel XL. When I've used her phone, I haven't noticed a big difference in the screens due to the resolution. Both screens are very nice and bright. I think you will be fine if that's your only issue.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
My wife's Pixel arrived yesterday, I have had my xl for a few weeks. My initial impression of the Pixel was "wow this is a nice size!". I love big phones too. The screens even laying next to each other appear to have the same density. Other than vr, I would not be concerned.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on a Nexus 6P, but I got my wife the Pixel and I've spent some quality time setting it up and showing her the new features, and I can't see how anyone would be upset with the screen. In general use it never feels lower resolution in any way.

I'm personally a big phone person (I still miss the screen size of the Nexus 6) so I'd personally go with the XL, but unless you are planning on a lot of VR I would only consider this an issue of personal preference, not one of screen quality.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I am the same way. Had been using smartphones with huge screens for a long time now. It's nice to be back to a smaller size.
Since I haven't really been able to justify the pixel purchase anyway I'm still using my HTC 10, a really sweet phone but at 5.2" it still seems a tad to big. I hope pixel 2 comes with a 5" option also. Funny thing is I used to love the larger screens. Guess that fad ran it's course with me as they seem to unwieldly now.

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. The 5" phone is a good size. Fits in my hand well, etc. If I had a reason to do a lot of web browsing, etc. on a phone I might want the bigger screen, but for most calling, texting, email, etc. the smaller phone is more practical.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm right there with you love the "5" size it's perfect for everything
Perfect for everything except making a basic call eh? I hope you've opened a ticket with them for that. I'd be all over them like stink on crapola every day wanting to know what's being done. Have you tried a swap out?

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I have pretty big hands, but went with the small Pixel. I had an LG V10 and like the screen size for the view and it handled OK for me. However packing it around was not the best thing. A 5" inch screen is still plenty big enough to see whatever is there and still small enough to fit all my front shirt pockets. I could see no real difference in screen resolution in the store between it and the XL. The color saturation is different between the Pixel and the V 10, but detail definition is not an issue for the Pixel...for me anyway. The only way resolution would be more critical is if VR was going to be important.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I had a Lumia 1520. Loved the big screen for a while, but having the smaller easier to handle size is what I enjoy now. 5-5.2" is the sweet spot for me. Even the iPhone 4.7" is ok, but a little small for my tastes. I will continue to buy 5" as long as they are available.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I had a Lumia 1520. Loved the big screen for a while, but having the smaller easier to handle size is what I enjoy now. 5-5.2" is the sweet spot for me. Even the iPhone 4.7" is ok, but a little small for my tastes. I will continue to buy 5" as long as they are available.

I think the iPhone 7 size is perfect with a case on which I'm always going to have.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Can somebody confirm (as I've never owned a plus size phone) does the pixel xl fit comfortably in your pants pockets? Or does it stick out? I'm talking about standard jean pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis