Is the 821 downclocked?

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Because clock speed isn't the only thing that matters. I am not sure if the 821 is any faster clock for clock. But there could be other SoC reasons to want an 821 instead. Power management could be another reason.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Having issues with it, just curious or comparing numbers?

Does it really make a difference if it performs well?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Is this true on the Pixel?

It is not downclocked. there are two different versions of the 821.

The one in the Pixel is 5% more energy efficient than the 820 at the same clock speed. They could have used the other and had very slightly better performance for benchmarking with power consumption similar to the 820, but it looks like they felt the battery and thermal efficiency were a better value. With how well the Pixels zip through anything you throw at them, I'm inclined to agree.

Worth noting that the 821 in any event was not intended to be a massive performance upgrade over the 820, but rather just a slight incremental improvement in mid-cycle development.

https://www.xda-developers.com/a-lo...he-snapdragon-821-in-the-google-pixel-phones/

Last edited:

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I believe the 821 has better GPU processing as well? Wasn't part of the reason for the good camera performance of the Pixel attributed to the chip?