is the Google pixel worth it?

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
To the people that have purchased it. Is it worth the price? I'm having a hard time ordering this phone but really wanna try it out. Just due to the size . I hate how big phones are getting now days. Just need a little insight I guess. It would be used on att as well if anyone has some comments about the phone on that network . I'm particularly interested in the regular pixel. Not the xl thanks for any info

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
While I am currently using mine on Verizon and am experiencing connectivity issues along with dropped calls and no 4G lite that won't even switch, the "5" inch form factor is great for me. Everything else about this phone is lightning fast, very easy, insane camera minus a few issues. I came from using a Blackberry for many years and thought I would have a tough time getting used to Android but I really didn't. This may not have all the bells and whistles as some of the other phones out there, but for my first Android, I wanted to experience this without any of the bloatware. I also like the unlimited storage of all photos and videos in their original sizes. Just hoping a software issue from google fixes my issues with this as I am on my second phone from Verizon and both of them had the same issues.

If my issues are resolved via software, which I am hoping they are I will be totally content with this phone

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Pixel 32 GB - Verizon - it is very comfortable to hold - very quick - good call quality - would have no problems recommending it to anybody. That said, see if you can find one at a Verizon store or Best Buy and get some "hands on time" with it.

As far as "is it worth it" - only you can answer that.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I really can't state much considering I don't have a Pixel but if size is an important factor for you then you might also consider the Samsung Galaxy S7. It all depends what else you are looking for in a phone.

If software experience, speed, unlimited photo and video storage, latest software, and good technical support is more valuable to you, then based on what current Pixel owners say you can go that route although take heed there are known bluetooth and signal issues as well as the whole lens flare thing on the camera.

If you want extra features then the Galaxy S7 offers the SD card storage, waterproof, a mediocre software experience and bloat (although you can look for the unlocked carrier free version), and also a very good camera.

I'm really not saying anything new here considering these are two well known phones. Each has their pluses and minuses. Personally I believe the S7 has more to offer for the same price (unlocked) and I don't even like Samsung although the now deceased Note 7 was looking attractive.

I actually wanted a 5 inch phone but don't like either of the above options this year so I'm opting for the soon to be release One Plus 3T...even though it's a phablet I believe it offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
What phone you currently have would factor into the answer as well. I upgraded from the Nexus 6P and I like this much more but I probably could have waited until the Pixel 2. I am using it on AT&T and I have had no issues with it so far but I've only had it for 3 days. I also use it with Android Auto and am having no issues with it in my 2016 Chevy Spark.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I have to say that the "24 hour support" is barely existent. Live chat has never been available any time that I clicked on it on my XL. I've checked many, many times and not once was live chat open to me. As for the telephone help, I heard that is useless and the phone reps don't know much of anything (based on other threads posted here). So I definitely wouldn't pick that as a reason to get the Pixel.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
What phone you currently have would factor into the answer as well. I upgraded from the Nexus 6P and I like this much more but I probably could have waited until the Pixel 2. I am using it on AT&T and I have had no issues with it so far but I've only had it for 3 days. I also use it with Android Auto and am having no issues with it in my 2016 Chevy Spark.

I'm coming from 6p. Well worth it.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If OS/Software is priority than there's no question it's worth it but if you're looking for bells and whistles in the hardware than look at elsewhere.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I was on the fence. Phone is great, but I have a 6P. I went back to using my 6P and the Pixel just blows it away to me. I don't care about what spec sheets say, every day use, Pixel is a better phone. I love it, but it is expensive. If you rather not pay that much, you can find some cheaper phones that are damn good.

BTW I am on AT&T.

I have to say that the "24 hour support" is barely existent. Live chat has never been available any time that I clicked on it on my XL. I've checked many, many times and not once was live chat open to me. As for the telephone help, I heard that is useless and the phone reps don't know much of anything (based on other threads posted here). So I definitely wouldn't pick that as a reason to get the Pixel.

I have had the opposite experience. Everyime I tried I got someone. Weird.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The 24/7 support has been solid on my phone and wife's as well. I contacted them about the screen flicker and some questions for insurance

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
To the people that have purchased it. Is it worth the price? I'm having a hard time ordering this phone but really wanna try it out. Just due to the size . I hate how big phones are getting now days. Just need a little insight I guess. It would be used on att as well if anyone has some comments about the phone on that network . I'm particularly interested in the regular pixel. Not the xl thanks for any info

I fell for the hype and Googles build-up as the greatest android to grace the earth. Well, don't waste your money as I did. For all its attributes, what a letdown. Excellent build quality, but in line with the iPhone, Galaxies , oneplus, ZTE axon 7, shall I continue? The biggest disappointment, was that googles AI isn't any different from what you can do on any phone with Google installed. I'm back to using my S7 edge for 90% of what I need. A Much clearer, brighter screen, all day battery. The only reason I carry my Axon 7 is for listening and watching media because of it's incredible sound system complete with dolby atmos. For 2-3 hundred bucks less, you can buy a ZTE axon 7, oneplus 3 and get more for your buck.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Went for it. Stopped at Verizon last night to play with one and walked out with 2 . Switched carriers from att . They had a really good deal. By the time it was all said and done we got one for free and mine was half price with phone trade ins.ive always been a fan of stock Android and the size of this was perfect for me and the wife. Will report in a week or two how it's doing. Thanks everyone

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it is. Best camera, among the best for battery life, very good display, best software of any phone, best security of any phone, only Android with an acceptable update policy, 128 GB storage, free Google photos backup at full res, free Daydream, assistant, great build quality, etc, etc. Easily one of the best phones available IMO and directly in line with pricing of it's closest competition.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hard to quantify if it's "worth it" as it's definitely not a cheap phone,

I'm very happy with it. I came from a Droid Turbo 2 - hardly a low-quality phone. While my pixel is only slightly smaller, it definitely feels more comfortable in the hand. Its smoothness and responsiveness is what makes me feel like an upgrade to me, but I do miss several of the standard Droid niceties

Fernando Martin

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Google Screwed the Pooch with the Pixel. They rushed it into production, so it seems. Too much money for a beta product. You could tolerate a bit of this with the Nexus because it was a deal, but iPhone money for these kind of issues: LTE, Bluetooth, screen issues and excessive camera flare. No way.

diver110

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I got the XL and have been pretty happy with it, once I downloaded the Outlook app. The regular Google system would not synch properly with my work Outlook. The finger print reader also did not work well for me. Otherwise I have been quite happy with it. Great size for me.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I think it is worth it if you find a deal on it like you did. If not, I think it is overpriced to be honest. Thankfully, T-Mo is paying me back for using it, which is cool. Even if I give it up in a year, that would be $162.50 I got back in credits which puts it in the sub $500 price range. So for me, definitely worth it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Only if you love pure Android. I have an iPhone 7+ and a s7 edge and those devices are great devices too, but I have always had a nexus because I have a thing for pure Android. I am in day 6 of my 15 day return period and the pixel xl is growing on me everyday!

Pretty sure I will be adding it to my stable of devices. Hated shelling out the 1000 bucks but that is the life of an early adopter. (128 pixel xl, protection and tax )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay