OK Google does nothing

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I got my new Google pixel XL 128gb and I voice trained it to understand me saying "OK Google" lots of times. (and have repeated this several times more). It just steadfastly ignores me when I say it.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my new Google pixel XL 128gb and I voice trained it to understand me saying "OK Google" lots of times. (and have repeated this several times more). It just steadfastly ignores me when I say it.
Let's clarify: voice model training only applies to waking your phone when it is off/locked and is a security measure to ensure that only you can wake the phone and command it to do something.

Training is not applicable when using OK Google while the phone is already awake.

So, which are we talking about? Also, what is your default system language set to? If not US English, there may be issues.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Mine does this occassionally too. A reboot fixes it for me, or I manually activate Google Assistant by holding down the home button, and then it will work normal after that.

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
My default language is US English. My pixel never responds to 'OK Google' whether it is on or off, no matter what screen it is on. Reboot makes no difference.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Have you accepted the privacy clauses and turned on web and voice activity?

These are prerequisites to use OK Google on any screen I believe.

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I think that I have done all those things. Can you tell me where to check that?
An interesting thing, possibly related, is that when I set us English the Google logo on main screen only opens Google bar and I must press microphone to get voice input. But when I set NZ English it shows Google and microphone input on main screen.

Last edited:

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I think that I have done all those things. Can you tell me where to check that?
An interesting thing, possibly related, is that when I set us English the Google logo on main screen only opens Google bar and I must press microphone to get voice input. But when I set NZ English it shows Google and microphone input on main screen.

I was doing nothing wrong. If other people voice gain my phone it works. If I voice gain it many times I sometimes get it to work once. It doesn't like my voice for training. However when I talk to Google by pressing the microphone, it understand every work I say perfectly. How dumb is that?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Once again, voice training has nothing to do with recognition if your phone is already turned on - voice training applies only when your phone is off and locked and is a security measure to ensure that an unauthorized person cannot wake your phone and command it to do something.

Please tell us which you are actually having trouble with - using your voice to wake the phone, or using OK Google when the phone is already awake and logged on?

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Under no circumstances will the phone respond to me saying "OK Google". I can be in the main screen and it does not respond. It will respond to my wife. I had no trouble on my Samsung s5. If I press the microphone symbol and say OK Google repeatedly it always understands me. So it is being really dumb.

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
After about 30 attempts I have managed to get it to learn my voice (story of). Until I did this it would NOT open in my main screen when I said OK Google. This disagrees with what you have been saying. Now it understands me about 2 times out of 3. My wifes s5 responds from across the room every time I do this.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I am at a loss on how to help with this. I setup my voice and I can do it from the phone being locked or unlocked.

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I have done some experiments. My conclusion is that the statements made here are not correct about training etc.
If I start up Google search and turn microphone on and repeatedly say "OK Google" it understands me every time 10 20 30 times in a row. So that establishes that my voice is not too weird or something.
If I go to the main screen and just say "OK Google" then it nearly always fails to activate. Last tries I got 1 out of 10. That seems about average but at times it works maybe 3 out of 5 and at others none of of 30.
At the time that I am doing this my wife's s5 leaps into life in the next room. My old s5 always worked too. The problem is the pixel XL 128gb. And despite opinions to the contrary I believe it to be related to the training.
When i do the training (which is intended to activate when the phone is off for security) it is supposed to get you to do it 3 times. If my wife does it then it asks for the next one after each OK Google. When I do it I have to say it about 8 times before it asks for the second one then about 3 then 1 for the third try. This is all very silly.
It really seems that it knows my voice and is picking on me.

Last edited:

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I have done some experiments. My conclusion is that the statements made here are not correct about training etc.
If I start up Google search and turn microphone on and repeatedly say "OK Google" it understands me every time 10 20 30 times in a row. So that establishes that my voice is not too weird or something.
If I go to the main screen and just say "OK Google" then it nearly always fails to activate. Last tries I got 1 out of 10. That seems about average but at times it works maybe 3 out of 5 and at others none of of 30.
At the time that I am doing this my wife's s5 leaps into life in the next room. My old s5 always worked too. The problem is the pixel XL 128gb. And despite opinions to the contrary I believe it to be related to the training.
When i do the training (which is intended to activate when the phone is off for security) it is supposed to get you to do it 3 times. If my wife does it then it asks for the next one after each OK Google. When I do it I have to say it about 8 times before it asks for the second one then about 3 then 1 for the third try. This is all very silly.
It really seems that it knows my voice and is picking on me.

I am not the only one.
https://www.androidpit.com/ok-google-is-not-working-here-s-how-to-fix-it

I tried something. I got my wife to train it and then without removing hers added mine. It is working better that ever. Maybe 80% now.