OEM Unlocking

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a 32GB Black Verizon Pixel - under Developer Options the option "OEM Unlocking" is greyed out - is this the case with the Pixels gotten form Google?
Are there advantages to being able to unlock?

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a 32GB Black Verizon Pixel - under Developer Options the option "OEM Unlocking" is greyed out - is this the case with the Pixels gotten form Google?
Are there advantages to being able to unlock?
Are you saying that you can't enable it? Because yes, you can with the Google Store version.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying that you can't enable it? Because yes, you can with the Google Store version.

Not on either of the 2 Verizon models I have

You can unlock the bootloader on the Verizon Pixel. Please see the following thread on XDA. Good luck.

Verizon Pixel XL - Unlocking Discussions | Google Pixel XL

Luck - :eek: - I think I could un-retire - get a job - save the $$s for a Google Pixel before I could understand all that stuff - thanks for link though.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The important thing here is to ask why you want the bootloader unlocked?

This was the main reason for buying the Pixel, as you can do many very useful things once you have this restriction removed. My favourite for this phone is sweep to wake enabled in a custom kernel, since pushing the power button is difficult if you have the phone sitting on a table.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

This was the main reason for buying the Pixel, as you can do many very useful things once you have this restriction removed. My favourite for this phone is sweep to wake enabled in a custom kernel, since pushing the power button is difficult if you have the phone sitting on a table.
But that's arriving in the next update!

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

That's what interests me too - right now I have Gravity Screen installed and it kinda does what I want - I want to get the update that includes that function so I can uninstall Gravity - for me less is better.
Right now I have a Pixel on Fi and one on Verizon (both were bought from Verizon) - if I get real brave at some point, I may try to unlock the bootloader on the Fi phone. I did learn to sideload an app update - so I am teachable - :cool:

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
That's what interests me too - right now I have Gravity Screen installed and it kinda does what I want - I want to get the update that includes that function so I can uninstall Gravity - for me less is better.
Right now I have a Pixel on Fi and one on Verizon (both were bought from Verizon) - if I get real brave at some point, I may try to unlock the bootloader on the Fi phone. I did learn to sideload an app update - so I am teachable - :cool:

If you have no need for root access, then I wouldn't recommend unlocking the bootloader. Root can be used for all kinds of customizations that are left out of OEM firmwares.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I also should be noted that keeping the bootloader unlocked is going to cause problems with some apps that are highly secured, aka Google Pay, and some other banking apps for example.

It should also be noted that if you unlock the bootloader, flash an unauthorized modification, and then try and relock, you can soft brick your device. The fix for this is complicated.

My philosophy on rooting and modifications has always been that if you need to ask "should I do it" , than the answer is almost always no.

$.02 for others that may be considering this.

EXACTLY - Thank You

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz