Pixel Launcher - impossible to remove date from homescreen?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I consider it a terrible glitch. Doesn't it make it reliable at all.
Do I need a third party weather app or not? So far whenever I have wanted to check the weather, it is unavailable. I think I might as well install them weather network again. But then I am going to be back at having two weather widgets on my home screen...

It should only been doing that at first boot before the weather on Google Now has been refreshed. If it's ever not there, then just swipe left, pull down to refresh and when that's done, you're good.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nexus was as close to AOSP as you could get, there were really very few modifications on it. Pixel is loaded with custom locked down features.
Is it? There really isn't much. There are very few OS level feature specific to the Pixel.. most of those features are buried in higher level apps... The Google Camera, Google Assistant are two notables.

The Pixel is still very close to stock, as close as the Nexus. I've made my Nexus 5X look just like a Pixel... Blue UI elements, home button animation, etc.. with a few modifications to turn on the Pixel stuff that's baked into the Nexus already and it doesn't take much to bring it out. There isn't any heavily modified junk in there.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I've been trying for 2 weeks to remove the weather from the Pixel launcher and it never sticks. I'm sure I missed something in Google Now but I went through and removed/deactivated all weather settings in Google Now and after reboot it shows the date for about 5 minutes and then switches to weather. Very frustrating.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying for 2 weeks to remove the weather from the Pixel launcher and it never sticks. I'm sure I missed something in Google Now but I went through and removed/deactivated all weather settings in Google Now and after reboot it shows the date for about 5 minutes and then switches to weather. Very frustrating.

This will be a cause for me to switch launchers. A shame. My wife wants to be able to customize it and she is tolerant of a lot of things but the one thing she doesn't like is that widget. And we run our phones with location off unless we are using GPS anyway.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It should only been doing that at first boot before the weather on Google Now has been refreshed. If it's ever not there, then just swipe left, pull down to refresh and when that's done, you're good.
So I have to have the Google feed turned on....that seems to be working now. I wasn't using the feed at all, guess I will keep it on so my weather keeps updating.

wordfool

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
This will be a cause for me to switch launchers. A shame. My wife wants to be able to customize it and she is tolerant of a lot of things but the one thing she doesn't like is that widget. And we run our phones with location off unless we are using GPS anyway.

Exactly the reason I reluctantly switched to Nova -- didn't want that widget there and I have GPS set to "device only" to save battery and prevent every freakin' app from tracking me! Forcing that widget on users is a bit too Apple-esque for my liking.