System update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ep3 ftw

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone else still not gotten the newest update? I've gone in and manually checked for updates and still get the "device up to date" message. Just wondering how many people have gotten it versus the amount of people still waiting?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You must be talking about the update that Canadian users received that added the two new moves and supposedly fixed their LTE issues. The rest of the world may not see that update until next Monday. You can always side load the update if you want to.

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I am impatiently waiting for this update lol. Raise to wake is such an important feature not sure why they left it out. It's so annoying that the only way to wake up the phone is press the power button or fingerprint.

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting how we all use our devices differently. Besides the Pixel, I also carry an IP7 and IP7+. I used raise-to-wake on my IOS devices for a few weeks, then turned it off. The IOS forums are full of users who argue that r2w is a great concept, just not well-executed. For example, phones should not turn on and waste battery when placed inside pocket, or faced down. Also, as more and more users have smart watches and receive notifications that way, raise-to-wake seems outdated.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It's interesting how we all use our devices differently. Besides the Pixel, I also carry an IP7 and IP7+. I used raise-to-wake on my IOS devices for a few weeks, then turned it off. The IOS forums are full of users who argue that r2w is a great concept, just not well-executed. For example, phones should not turn on and waste battery when placed inside pocket, or faced down. Also, as more and more users have smart watches and receive notifications that way, raise-to-wake seems outdated.
Yeah the pocket thing can be an issue with raise to wake. With my iPhone 6s I really like the feature. I found by putting it in my pocket upside down solved the constant waking of the phone when pocketed. With my HTC 10 I'm liking the double tap to wake just as much, maybe more.

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the pocket thing can be an issue with raise to wake. With my iPhone 6s I really like the feature. I found by putting it in my pocket upside down solved the constant waking of the phone when pocketed. With my HTC 10 I'm liking the double tap to wake just as much, maybe more.
You're right, my 7 doesn't turn on when it faces down inside the pocket. However, when I sit down, it'd no longer be headed down. For Android phones, I use Gravity or Screeble to also make use of the proximity sensor. But then, that's another sensor that's using battery.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I found by putting it in my pocket upside down solved the constant waking of the phone when pocketed.

I would think this shouldn't be a problem regardless of the orientation of the phone in the pocket., just as it's not a problem with the Gravity app.

I would expect that the proximity sensor would prevent it from turning on, as it worked with the droids.

Last edited:

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I would think this shouldn't be a problem regardless of the orientation of the phone in the pocket., just as it's not a problem with the Gravity app.

I would expect that the proximity sensor would prevent it from turning on
Well, surprisingly it's a problem for those darn iPhones. That, or Apple didn't want to sacrifice battery for the proximity sensor.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

I would expect that the proximity sensor would prevent it from turning on, as it worked with the droids.
My 6s is the only one I have any experience with the raise to wake feature. Maybe an anomaly with that phone. Makes sense tho as when in a pocket it's constantly shifting around and sensing movement. In any case that was my experience with it and keeping it upside down when in pocket solved it. With the pixel's FPS on the back it would seem a logical way to have it in pocket anyway.

Last edited:

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a smart watch nor know anyone who does, have only one working device, this one, and I am anxiously awaiting tap to wake. It is interesting, how different are the things people feel are must haves and how differently people use their device. One reason I find this forum entertaining as well as informative.

Last edited:

wordfool

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Double-tap to wake is useful, but on my Sony it would sometimes cause the phone to wake up when being bumped around in a pocket or bag. Still, I'm looking forward to getting that option on the Pixel next week

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You can always side load the update if you want to.

Yeah there is no reason to be sitting around waiting for the update to be pushed out to you. Google makes it easy to update the second the update is released. Just takes a little work on our end, but it's not difficult at all to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2