AMOLED Burn In?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I was looking in the Samsung forum and there was a thread about a person who has burn in on their S7E. I'm curious, is this something that is likely with the Pixel/Pixel XL since they have AMOLED screens?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
It's possible, but bad burn in is very rare now.
Are there any steps to take to help prevent it? I have a black wallpaper and my screen brightness is set on auto. For the most part is below 50% and typically spends most time around 20% probably. That would suck to get burn in.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Lower brightness, not leaving it sitting stagnant for extended periods and using the screen time out feature to turn the screen off when it's not in use.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I was looking in the Samsung forum and there was a thread about a person who has burn in on their S7E. I'm curious, is this something that is likely with the Pixel/Pixel XL since they have AMOLED screens?

The chances of it happening anymore are so miniscule I wouldn't worry. Just don't leave the screen on the same screen for 12 hours + and u should be good.

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have definitely seen burn-in issues on the display models for the S7 Edge in the stores. Not sure if this is common but enough to make it look like a problem.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I remember by galaxy nexus, which I used to play clash of clans with and left on overnight several times with the same stuff on the display. Didn't have any problem with it.

If you had it at a really high brightness and kept it on the same screen for really long, then you'd probably have a problem.

On an unrelated note, putting brightness above 80-90% tends to disproportionately take more battery life, where as for 0-80% it follows a linear function. Plus it seems to heat up the phone a bit more, I think.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't agree more! I have only had one phone which I can remember having bad burn in. It was my gnex and it was the on screen buttons. No other phone I have had got burn in and no other had on screen buttons. The reason is obvious, they are always in the same place of course! So I tinker with the disappearing buttons that you had to call you to use but that's annkying..

The people who should be worried about burn in most are those who have their screen on, say a texting app and then leave the screen on and don't turn it off. They WILL eventually see the keyboard get burnt in

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Burn in on AMOLED screens is a function of the duty cycle of the various color pixels. Blue goes first and will start to degrade a lot quicker then the other two color pixels.

They've made improvements in recent generations, getting the blue closer to the others. As they do, the screen degrades more evenly, making it far less noticeable. And while it will still happen, it won't be nearly as severe as in earlier displays.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I have definitely seen burn-in issues on the display models for the S7 Edge in the stores. Not sure if this is common but enough to make it look like a problem.

Those screens are powered on for 12+ hours per day. If they remember to turn them off at night. I wouldnt call that a problem for any particular consumer.

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't this be a problem for all the AMOLED phones in the store?Screen savers come on when I see them so it rotates the image on screen. Why do I only see them only on notably S7Es? Bad consumer demo software?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It will burn-in, but because it's a newer-generation OLED compared to past phones, it shouldn't do so as quickly.

However, my main concern are those icons on the navbar. They're a solid white and they're static most of the time.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
However, my main concern are those icons on the navbar. They're a solid white and they're static most of the time.

That and the status bar are the two most likely candidates... but I just fussed with my 6P, which I've had for nearly a year. Going through the apps that go immersive, I can not see any sign of any sort of degradation either on the nav or the status bar. I loaded up one of those screen burn apps and loaded the test page (which just goes full screen with a gray field)... I see some VERY minor image retention where the nav buttons are located, and you'd have to be looking for it to notice it. There's nothing on the status area that I can see.

So even though there IS some degradation, it's minor and in day to day, there's probably a chance in hell that anyone would notice it.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It's possible but much harder to do these days. Playing hours of games with status/health bars, etc. in the exact same position on high brightness is the worst for it.

I don't game on my phones often, but I've never experienced burn-in on any phone I've ever owned.

MikeBerry3

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
What about screen saver mode though? I'd like to leave it on over night but I'm worried the navigation keys will burn in. The clock moves around so no big deal but for some reason they don't hide the navigation keys...

AtanRaca

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that the nav keys are already burned into the screen on my XL. I had brightness set to 75% (have used that brightness since my Galaxy S4) It is faint but you can see it when playing a movie or YouTube video with a bright background.

AtanRaca

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Here is a pic of the burn in. It is faint but you can clearly see it is there. This is the one thing I hate about AMOLED screens. Had a really bad time with it on the Galaxy Nexus.

IMG_20161221_125153.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo