Would you get rid of S7 edge for a pixel xl?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the s7 edge and was wondering if it is worth getting rid of it for the Pixel xl? besides newer OS, is there any advantage over the edge?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I HATE TouchWiz. That in and of itself is enough to keep my from Samsung. The Pixel is AMAZING. By far the most fluid device I have ever used and I came from an iPhone 7 Plus.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
You might miss some of the bells and whistles of the Samsung. Pixel is customizable as well but some say it can be boring being pretty much stock android. I am happy with it. It's extremely fast, fluid, takes great pictures and you can still do what you want to with it to your liking of course. You might miss the storage that you have on your current phone. I don't have the XL so am only referring to the regular size but everything is the same minus the screen as the XL has a better screen but everything else is the same

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the s7 edge and was wondering if it is worth getting rid of it for the Pixel xl? besides newer OS, is there any advantage over the edge?

No. You'll have better water resistance on the S7 edge (IP68 on the edge vs IP53 on the Pixel), losing out on expandable storage with the Pixel XL, losing out on wireless charging with the Pixel XL, the S7 edge has better battery life, and the Pixel XL doesn't have the edge display. The camera on the S7 edge is almost as good as the camera on the Pixel. The only advantage the Pixel has over the S7 edge is Google Assistant. If you think that's worth the upgrade price, have at it.

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Just got a new S7 and discovered that "Do not disturb until next alarm" was removed by Samsung. Probably going to return the phone to the store and get a Pixel.

Or are there other worthy phones that actually come with the same standard Android features (like DND until next alarm)?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Ive got both and an axon 7. Im giving up the pixel. Nothing special. I like the Axon 7 better.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ive got both and an axon 7. Im giving up the pixel. Nothing special. I like the Axon 7 better.
That's the whole point of the pixel though that people are missing. It's nothing special! But it works so well!!! I turned my s7 edge back on last night tinkering back and forth with my pixel. To even attach a picture to a text message takes 3 seconds longer than on a pixel. Takes a second to load the gallery, takes a second to load the image into the text box...a second to send it...I can do that in a blink of an eye with the pixel. Steps are so much more fluid on the pixel where as I find it more of a hassle to deal with on the edge. Not everhtbing, but certain things.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I had the s7 edge since Launch. Recently got a regular pixel. And I'm getting better battery life with the pixel then I ever got with the edge. Everything just always works on this phone . The edge would lag and Sutter constantly . Not bashing Samsung I'm just saying they have a long ways to go with their software experience. I liked all the features but the phone itself would always be stalling and stuttering. I run my phones lean with a lot of the background data turned off.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the s7 edge since Launch. Recently got a regular pixel. And I'm getting better battery life with the pixel then I ever got with the edge. Everything just always works on this phone . The edge would lag and Sutter constantly . Not bashing Samsung I'm just saying they have a long ways to go with their software experience. I liked all the features but the phone itself would always be stalling and stuttering. I run my phones lean with a lot of the background data turned off.
I am getting better battery life with the regular pixel as well than my s7 edge. So what @retinella said about the XL having the same battery life as the edge is completely incorrect. The XL does have the quad HD display so I think battery life to the regular pixel is comparable as Ive seen in the stats, XL may have a slight edge...very slight.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Really now?

S7 edge: 87 hours
Pixel XL: 78 hours

Not. Even. Close. :Battery life tests - GSMArena.com
Yes...really now!!!! I'm telling you from using the s7 edge since May that I get better battery life on the regular pixel than on the edge. Specs r specs...with my usage I get better battery life on pixel and I think that a lot of people including @victoryrules8 will agree with me.

Have you used both the s7 edge and the pixel XL to determine that spec?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
To not have to deal with Samsung's update process and duplicative apps, I'd say it's a good swap. If you have to have the edge screens, which I think are worthless and annoying to use, then you gotta go S7 edge. The cameras on both are phenomenal, so you probably won't know a difference. Battery life from what I've heard is basically a wash, if not even a little better on the Pixel. I also think TouchWiz still looks dated and cheap looking. At this point, for me, I won't go anywhere other than straight Google or Apple. Some people tout water resistance as the second coming of Jesus. I've been using cell phones for 20 years. 7 of those in a haze in college. Never once have I damaged a phone from liquids.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Had the S7E and returned if for the Pixel. The only thing I miss is Samsung Pay but everything with the Pixel beats it out. Well worth it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Would I? Probably not as I use a lot of its features.

But you? That's difficult to say. Best advice is to give the P XL a shot for a while and see how you like it. Load up all your apps and use it like you normally would. Then decide whether you want to keep it or return it.

Centralboy545

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
To not have to deal with Samsung's update process and duplicative apps, I'd say it's a good swap. If you have to have the edge screens, which I think are worthless and annoying to use, then you gotta go S7 edge. The cameras on both are phenomenal, so you probably won't know a difference. Battery life from what I've heard is basically a wash, if not even a little better on the Pixel. I also think TouchWiz still looks dated and cheap looking. At this point, for me, I won't go anywhere other than straight Google or Apple. Some people tout water resistance as the second coming of Jesus. I've been using cell phones for 20 years. 7 of those in a haze in college. Never once have I damaged a phone from liquids.
Even though I call bs on the water thing if u are telling the truth then lucky you. U must not be around kids a lot then. My lil bro killed one phone and my nephew killed another all by water damage. And I got tossed in a pool and ****ed up another one I had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz