Is the Pixel worth an extra $250?

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Simply put, is it worth an extra $250 to get a Google Pixel or should I opt for a $400 HTC 10 from a third party site? (I couldn't care less about the camera. OEMs could remove the camera for all I care.)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To me, it definitely is but the HTC 10 is an awesome phone and if you can get it at a steep discount, that may be a better choice for you. How long are you planning on keeping it?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it depends on who your carrier is. If you have VZW definitely get the Pixel. If you have AT&T or T-Mobile you could get an unlocked HTC 10 and get Nougat 7.0 and save money. VZW still has not rolled out Nougat for the HTC 10.

Personally, I love my Pixel and want no other phone. It's great.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I usually keep a phone for 4-5 months or so. In this case that'll get me to the spring when the S8 and M11 should be released.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I usually keep a phone for 4-5 months or so. In this case that'll get me to the spring when the S8 and M11 should be released.

In that case I'd go HTC 10 if it were me, unless you're really curious about the Pixel - as a third to half a year placeholder device the Pixel is pretty expensive.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That it is the way I'm leaning. The M7 is one of my favorite all time phones and the HTC 10 is suppose to similar in feel and aesthetic. If nothing else I could pick up the HTC 10 now and pick up the Pixel in the spring for a reduced price. Sometimes the allure of having the new, fancy and shiny thing gets in the way of a good decision.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Simply put, is it worth an extra $250 to get a Google Pixel or should I opt for a $400 HTC 10 from a third party site? (I couldn't care less about the camera. OEMs could remove the camera for all I care.)

You bring up a very good concern. If you don't care about the camera, go with a oneplus 3t. If you're a media lover go with the ZTE axon 7. Both great fast phones. The ZTE, to me, is better. Has a better screen, hifi dac amps, dolby atmos, expandable storage and it's only $399.00. Ive got a pixel. So far for me and the price I paid, unimpressive.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
YMMV, but for me the pixel was NOT worth the extra $
I got an HTC 10 about 2 months before the Pixel came out. I was disappointed when the Pixel arrived because I really wanted one but had just dropped $450 on the HTC 10 a couple months earlier. Price doesn't usually bother me when buying phones because I don't mind paying for quality. I checked out the Pixel several times in various stores. Both sizes and thought the smaller one would be a better fit for me. However, the first thing that ruined it for me was the external speaker just gave the whole phone a sound of cheapness. Coming from the 10, the Moto X Pure and the Nexus 6P I have gotten used to good external speaker quality, it really makes for a better experience. Saw a teardown vid of the pixel showing the cheap cloth cover over the speaker, Be careful of that or your sound will really be F'd. higher end devices have a metal mesh or so I learned. In any case I backed off temporarily but still felt the Pixel calling me and thought I could get past the tinny speaker sound. I couldn't get past that or the price. Just didn't think the build quality was on the same level as my HTC 10 even tho the Pixel is an HTC built device. Then with some Verizon connectivity issues cropping up, dropped calls and the like I just decided to sit this one out. The HTC 10 is an awesome phone, quick and fast. Great external sound, not hugely loud but rich and full. A quality device.
I think Google really dropped the ball as the pixel seemed like a rush job and they said themselves that the water resistance thing wasn't handled due to time constraints. I'd recommend the HTC 10 over the Pixel. The big pixel selling points being the camera, ok, that's good,(10 cam, also good) but the assistant and the 24/7 help are meh to me and not worth the extra coin. Saw an add for the Nexus 6 at Best Buy for $99. Now there's a deal.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have both the HTC 10 ( got it first ) and the Pixel. Both are great phones. I have the Pixel as my daily driver and it works great. You can't go wrong with either phone. The HTC 10 at a great price is extraordinary.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
You do not care about a camera, you plan on only keeping the phone for only 4-5 months, and you can get one for $250 less? Come on man, this isn't even a question. Get the HTC.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Since you don't care about camera, I'd say the Oneplus 3T or HTC 10 is the best choice. With the 3T being bigger and having better battery life, and the HTC 10 having better audio.

Certainly not worth paying a premium for the pixel since the two main benefits of it are the camera and the software support (extra os update and more consistent security updates), and you don't care about camera and you're only using it for 5 months.

davidwilp

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if it is the Pixel XL or the pure Android N but either way I love my phone. However, I am coming from a Samsung Galaxy S4 which slowed to a crawl. I did like having the ability to pop in a new battery and almost went with the LG for that reason. Glad I chose the Pixel XL. I am a light user and the battery lasts me from 6AM till 11PM with 30% or so still left. The camera seems great to me. As for speakers I don't use them much but when I do I don't mind the sound. I'm sure there are mush better out there but I don't care.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang