Google Store replacement sent by Verizon

muffstic

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
FYI I called 611 to request a replacement due to issues I was having with my Pixel XL. The Rep told me Google would be shipping me a replacement so I had hope it wasn't the Verizon locked bootloader version. I forgot to try to unlock before using dePixel8 but Verizon confirmed I don't have a Verizon phone.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I went to a VZW store and talked to a rep about the Pixel XL. He told me the Verizon Pixel XL is unlocked and will work with any carrier and the BL was unlocked as well. That basically it was the same Pixel Google sells except for the Verizon apps pre-installed.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I went to a VZW store and talked to a rep about the Pixel XL. He told me the Verizon Pixel XL is unlocked and will work with any carrier and the BL was unlocked as well. That basically it was the same Pixel Google sells except for the Verizon apps pre-installed.
The apps are not preinstalled. They are only installed when a VZW sim card is in during activation. Any other sim card and you do not get the apps. Plus, it is only 3 apps that are easily removable.

Bootloader is locked on the VZW models.

muffstic

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Bootloader is definitely locked and can only be unlocked after using dePixel8. I had a hard time unlocking the one I got from the Verizon store.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So why do you unlock the BL? What would you need to do with it? It already has a version of Nougat no one else has.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I get that but why root. What do you need to change that requires root?

For me:

1) Titanium backup

2) Power Toggles - I like to be able to flip GPS or Aiplane mode on/off without going through additional prompts

3) Llama - My fav internet radio app is smart enough to stop playing when I unplug my headphone, but not when I disconnect bluetooth, and the latter causes music to blare out through the speaker on the train in the morning when other commuters are trying to sleep.

4) ROM Toolbox Pro

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the bootloader locked on all of them?
The Google version is readily unlockable via a switch in Settings, and has no restriction on when one can relock and re-unlock its bootloader. The Verizon Pixel, however, requires an external procedure to unlock (dePixel8). Also, ATM, it can no longer be unlocked if 7.1.1 has been installed.

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I get that but why root. What do you need to change that requires root?
The advantages of root access are tremendous. Forget the abilities to use custom ROMs (that's minor), it's the abilities to do a full backup of the phone (Titanium Backup), or to change kernel that improves battery use, or gain abilities to automate usage (Llama, Tasker) that attract users. For me, it's the option of using internet apps without most ads to save time and data.

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you've never experienced the joy that are xPosed modules, you've missed out on one the greatest parts of an Android phone. You need to be rooted, but then you can modify literally every aspect of your system, down to the color and location of icon in your status bar.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I guess root if you wish. It frankly was necessary but that was back in the Bugless Beast days. I haven't needed to root a phone for a long long time.

Titanium Backup..I remember that it was great prior to cloud storage and all of your apps reinstalling auto when transferring to a new phone etc..what exactly are you backing up?

Battery gains? Marginal at best.

The drop down toggles built in require no additional prompts.

I would think I could live without moving my clock or anything on the status bar from the right or to the left or for that matter coloring my LTE icon to a nice teal.

If you enjoy rooting... root on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze