Water rating

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Is pixel ok with bathroom steam and small sprinkles of water or it has no protection whatsoever? Got so used to note 7 in bathrooms steam and when washing dishes.

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Found this online.. So as long as no swimming with phone it is ok, but I guess drop in toilet is done deal?

" Your Pixel or Pixel XL is not waterproof. Being splashed or sprayed with water not under pressure and not when the phone is vertical is not even close to being able to withstand being dunked in the pool or dropped in the toilet. This is great if you're caught out in the rain or if you spill water (that's important — these IP ratings are for water only) at dinner, but nothing more extreme. "

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Found this online.. So as long as no swimming with phone it is ok, but I guess drop in toilet is done deal?

Not necessarily a done deal, just no guarantees that it won't end up with water on the inside. Judging by a few of the test videos floating around online, it's got a decent chance of survival from a quick dunk.

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Is pixel ok with bathroom steam and small sprinkles of water or it has no protection whatsoever? Got so used to note 7 in bathrooms steam and when washing dishes.

I do that every day. No issues.

For anyone else, dive shops have underwater cases. If you're landlocked, buy online.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to take pics when in beach, so looks like big no no, since waves are pressured water

Not only do waves hit with a large amount of pressure, but they are SALT water. The IP ratings are created with fresh water in mind. Salt water will cause damage to the seals as well. A little salt water spray from the breakers won't do any damage though.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Right lol. Time to draw the line. Put the damn phone down when swimming

No phone should be used while swimming. Especially in salt water. There are special cases that can bought if that is your desire.

I personally wouldn't trust IP ratings on a phone. They are done to specific tests set out by the company making the device which is why there are always caveats by the company when using the phone around water and what to do if it does get dunked.

To me, IP68 is good for rain or if it happens to get soaked. I personally wouldn't use it on a continual basis in or around water. You're just asking for it to fail.

Keeping in mind IP ratings are generally for protection in case of certain situations.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

In general most phones can handle water droplets and being around steam. Consumer products are generally designed to be robust.

Like anything however you have to keep in mind that you should keep your device away from situations where it's possible to be damaged so you shouldn't keep it near water and steam on a regular basis. If you're washing dishes put it away from the sink. If you're showering, use a waterproof bluetooth speaker and put your phone outside the room. I wouldn't recommend using the phone with wet hands if you can avoid it.

It's common sense but like everything these days, people want their phones with them 24/7 for some reason. I don't quite get it personally, might be my age.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Some people talk about bathroom steam and others talk about bathroom STEAM.

Really, I would be concerned if you are one of those people who sets the phone on the counter and then proceeds to take 30 minute shower in 110 deg F water in a small bath with no ventilation fan. At the very least, throw a dry hand towel over the phone before turning on the shower.