QR code reader with no additional app?

TurboCommander

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I read that I should be able to scan QR codes using the camera and Now On Tap. As I understand it, open the camera, hold the home button and it should recognize the code.

I cannot get this to work. It just says it didn't recognize anything or if I said something it didn't hear me.

I'm using a Pixel 32GB with 7.1.1

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Now on Tap is essentially gone (on the Pixels, anyway) replaced by Google Assistant. Hold the Home button for a few seconds, and the Assistant pops up and waits for you to say something; try, "what can I do?"

If you would rather tell Google Assistant to "take a hike; give me back Now on Tap!" then you may want to try this How To Get Back Google Now on Tap on Google Pixel and Pixel XL - Dory Labs

Perhaps there is another way, but that is all I have found thus far.

PS: I haven't tried the above method; it is the nearest I could find to a potential solution.

Last edited:

jkeben

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Some phones (I had it on my Droid Turbo) have QR codes built into their camera app but I have not heard of or seen this on the Pixel yet. You'll just have to get a QR code reader app.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Now on tap is there. Hold down the home button and then swipe up once Google assistant appears.

On a Pixel XL running 7.1.1?

It doesn't work for me.

Oh, wait - you have to open the camera first and then hold home button and then swipe up?

Frankly, I'd rather have the old Now on Tap...

TurboCommander

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm opening the camera, focusing on a code then holding home and waiting for Google Assistant or Now on Tap, IDK what it's called. It works fine for UPC but no joy for QR

Nesquik

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
I use an app called Barcode Scanner -- I've used it before on previous phones and just use it by default. Also a friend of mine when setting up google authenticator was asked to install that same app to scan in QR codes. So if google asks to install a separate app to scan it in through their app then it's probably a good bet that we should too?

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
We are getting a bit afield of the OP's original question, which I think is a moot point anyway. But to wrap it up best I can, I think the option is gone and some other app is necessary. Following any of the suggestions above does not result in reading the code.

1. Now On Tap does not open when I swipe up from Assistant, even with the camera on first.
2. While Google Goggles doesn't crash on me, the camera doesn't seem to work with it. As mentioned, it seems to have been abandoned anyway.

There is a post on product forums which I will not copy the link to since it makes what seems to be a patently false statement about the only way to read these codes being a singular app. From my memory there are several apps dedicated to scanning them.

There are stories that say you can send codes to Assistant, and one that indicated you could tell assistant to "scan a barcode" and it would without any other app. All that did was to suggest an application.

So if scanning a barcode on Android, post Assistant, really takes holding the home button and swiping up, or taking a picture and sending it to Assistant, or telling assistant to "scan a barcode", then it seems you're better off with a separate app, or killing Google Assistant and going back to Now On Tap, which might be better all around since I've yet to find assistant useful--but that may just be the curmudgeon in me.

So that functionality lasted how long? It may be too much to hope for Google settling down and thinking through their software platform before they develop some new shining object, but I hope none the less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674