Daydream VR Draining battery and making phone hot?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, because VR places a huge load on graphics and CPU modules. If you keep VR active long enough (like 30+ minutes?) your phone may even shut itself down to avoid overheating damage.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, because VR places a huge load on graphics and CPU modules. If you keep VR active long enough (like 30+ minutes?) your phone may even shut itself down to avoid overheating damage.

I've used my pixel XL with daydream VR for over an hour and I've never had a slow down or shut down. As a matter of fact it doesn't even get hotter than my 6p used to get with normal operation.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, using vr will drain the battery faster and warm up the phone. Some people report it getting much hotter, but mine gets only slightly hotter. I've used it for a couple of hours at a time without getting any warnings and it was warm to the touch but not uncomfortably hot.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I've played around with daydream enough and every time i use it even if it's 10-15mins indeed it does get hot. If i play a game on it that is not VR the phone does not get hot almost as if i'm not even using it, but if i use the daydream head set to play a VR game it does get noticeably hot, however I have not had a shutdown yet then again I don't seem to use it for more then 20 mins at a time. Mostly to test out games and show friends. I do notice that battery drains much faster and based on reviews all of this is normal.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It might be normal, but it's not good. A half hour on VR is most like a day of battery life. If I had a replaceable battery, I wouldn't mind so much much. I do worry about what shape my battery will be in a half year from now if it heats up that much and creates a day or more of charge cycle in just a half hour.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad