why do I have 4gb of cached Data!?!?!??

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So I've only had my pixel for a couple months and can't figure out why I have nearly 4gb of cached data ..Is this normal? Cause it sure doesn't seem right to have 4gb of my precious storage being used and it's getting pretty frustrating.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As stated above it could be from Play music. Other possible culprits could be Chrome, Google photos or any app heavy on media files. Check the storage for this kind of apps and see what you find.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I've got 2GB of cached data. It all depends on the apps you use. Each app will cache different amounts. Overall cache is a good thing. It prevents your phone from having to re download things, and speeds up the overall experience. As long as you're not filling your phone's storage I would leave it alone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't cleared mine and my storage looks like the below pics.

Do you use Google play music and stream ? By default it is set to cache music during playback so it won't have to stream as much. I have this turned off but if you haven't done that just to clear cache from the Google play music app and it'll clear up.

1483031619694.jpg1483031625901.jpg

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't have many apps installed and only use a couple on a daily basis. I just think that with how advanced these so called mobile computers are that it should be able to manage this issue better and not having me have to manually check to see if my cache is building up so much that I have to make sure I have the storage for other things

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't have many apps installed and only use a couple on a daily basis. I just think that with how advanced these so called mobile computers are that it should be able to manage this issue better and not having me have to manually check to see if my cache is building up so much that I have to make sure I have the storage for other things

The phone has nothing to do with an app that is running wild though -- these are two separate issues. I have had my Pixel XL since release pretty much and have only 2.7 GB of Cache. You must have an app that is allowed to cache -- so it is. The computer (your phone) is doing what it is allowed to do.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Android manages cached data dynamically ... when it needs to free up space it looks at old cached data as one of the first options of stuff to clear out.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The cache is there for a reason and there is no reason to try to manage it manually.

The OS will use the cache in the most efficient way possible. If you clear the cache manually, you are simply forcing the phone to re-download data (such as streamed music or pieces of web pages) that it already had locally. The phone operates more slowly and consumes more data and thus more battery power.

Why would you want to mess with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol