Project Fi and Verizon on Pixel XL?

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
according to Signal Check Pro:

Project Fi is utilizing Verizon towers on my Pixel XL
First time I noticed it.

Screenshot_20161230-075357.jpg

EDIT: just changed towers to T-Mobile....@ -109 dBM?

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
My guess:

Latched on to strongest signal .... Verizon allowed until it checked carrier whitelist....or something along those lines.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Those are the carrier's they use. But all carriers have roaming deals with each other. It's not odd to be on Verizon if there is nothing else available.

Yeah, but I don't think that applies to Project Fi and it is certainly not the way Project Fi describes their service. It is supposed to switch between T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular towers and, if none available, then try Wi-Fi. As I said above, it is *possible* that T-Mobile has a roaming agreement with Verizon in the OP's area, but I am not even sure about that coming into play for a Fi customer.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but I don't think that applies to Project Fi and it is certainly not the way Project Fi describes their service. It is supposed to switch between T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular towers and, if none available, then try Wi-Fi. As I said above, it is *possible* that T-Mobile has a roaming agreement with Verizon in the OP's area, but I am not even sure about that coming into play for a Fi customer.
I never could get a straight answer from Google about that.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

The goal of any cell service is to never leave a customer stranded. Fi has roaming agreements. That's what roaming means. Using other carriers towers when that's the only or best option.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The goal of any cell service is to never leave a customer stranded. Fi has roaming agreements. That's what roaming means. Using other carriers towers when that's the only or best option.

Fi does not have direct roaming agreements - at least none that they advertise. "Roaming" for Fi means switching between T-Mobile and Sprint towers to find the best signal.

However, if T-Mobile or Sprint has a roaming agreement in a given area, then - apparently - that agreement filters through to Fi customers.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Fi does not have direct roaming agreements - at least none that they advertise. "Roaming" for Fi means switching between T-Mobile and Sprint towers to find the best signal.

However, if T-Mobile or Sprint has a roaming agreement in a given area, then - apparently - that agreement filters through to Fi customers.

Sorry, you're wrong.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=RnlPcUxzWU9IcF83aHBXczRYMlMtOHhYc25qdnR3

If that is checked you will use data on a network that isn't contracted and could get charged additionally as a result.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Don't get me wrong; Not complaining about having a stronger signal.
Just find it odd. thinking/hoping something is afoot.
T-Mobile signal is about the same as ATT around me.
As stated previously Verizon is the strongest, by quite a bit.
Was on PagePlus before moving to Fi.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can roam to Verizon and others depending on the roaming agreements with T-Mobile, Sprint, and USC. If that area has an agreement you can roam and it will work just like if you were using the actual carrier that had the agreement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance