Question about unlimited google photos

tgrsnpr

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I recently took a trip with a friend to California and she had sent me her photos so I placed them on my Google Drive and downloaded them on my Pixel phone so that the pictures can get uploaded to my Google Photos with the unlimited full-resolution backup. However, when I checked my Google Photos it my data has decreased from 9gb to 6gb, is this supposed to happen? Also, I was reading this article How the Google Pixel's unlimited photo and video backup works | Android Central and it says that pictures uploaded from the Pixel should say 0 bytes when you click the "i", however I can see how much byte each pictures are, for pictures I have taken using the Pixel camera, pictures I received and downloaded from Skype and Whatsapp. So I'm a little confused is it not unlimited anymore?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
If I had to take a guess, GP is probably using detection via EXIF data to now only not count photos actually taken using a Pixel. And regardless, the file size will show when viewing the properties in GP. But your storage quota should not decrease as a result of those.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Your unlimited photos are only those taken with your Pixel device. I think people are confused and believe Pixel owners got unlimited Photos storage just for owning the device... Wouldn't that be lovely? Then we would store ALL THE PICTURES IN THE WORLD.............For everyone! Muahahahaha.....

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
All of your pictures go to the Google cloud. Before getting The Pixel XL I had paid for 100GB of storage. I had a lot of photos and videos once I got the Pixel XL all of my previous photos and videos went to the cloud automatically. Before I used 80GB used on the paid storage. Now it is down to 2GB with 98GB available. I am going to cancel my paid storage and use the free unlimited. I got a 128GB phone. More then enough.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If I had to take a guess, GP is probably using detection via EXIF data to now only not count photos actually taken using a Pixel. And regardless, the file size will show when viewing the properties in GP. But your storage quota should not decrease as a result of those.

It only gives free storage for photos taken with the Pixel. An interesting question might be... does it matter whose Pixel, i.e., if "Kelly" takes pictures/videos with her Pixel and then shares them (full resolution) with "Chuck" on his Pixel, do they count against his storage?

And if it is further restricting it to photos taken from that device, what happens if, for example, you are recording extensive media but, being unable to upload them conveniently, offload them onto a portable drive/USB OTG to make more room, and then bring them back on to the device later - would those items when brought back onto the device for upload count towards your metered storage?

tgrsnpr

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
All of your pictures go to the Google cloud. Before getting The Pixel XL I had paid for 100GB of storage. I had a lot of photos and videos once I got the Pixel XL all of my previous photos and videos went to the cloud automatically. Before I used 80GB used on the paid storage. Now it is down to 2GB with 98GB available. I am going to cancel my paid storage and use the free unlimited. I got a 128GB phone. More then enough.

Was your setting on high quality or original?

tgrsnpr

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
It only gives free storage for photos taken with the Pixel. An interesting question might be... does it matter whose Pixel, i.e., if "Kelly" takes pictures/videos with her Pixel and then shares them (full resolution) with "Chuck" on his Pixel, do they count against his storage?

And if it is further restricting it to photos taken from that device, what happens if, for example, you are recording extensive media but, being unable to upload them conveniently, offload them onto a portable drive/USB OTG to make more room, and then bring them back on to the device later - would those items when brought back onto the device for upload count towards your metered storage?

I asked Google Support on this last night as it was bothering me and they said as long as its a Pixel camera that took it and uploaded it, it will not count towards the storage space.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are they still on drive? All photos backed up from the Pixel are free. But if they're still on drive that'll still count against your limit

tgrsnpr

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Are they still on drive? All photos backed up from the Pixel are free. But if they're still on drive that'll still count against your limit

Oh they were on both my drive and on Google Photos. I erased my Google Drive copies and transferred it using the PC into my Camera folder but now I can see it on my Pixel but I can't see it on the Google Photos site. I tried back it up and it still doesn't show up.

I'm not sure if all photos back up on the Pixel is free. Because I have pictures I downloaded from text messages and they counted toward the storage space.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It is not only the Pixel Camera. Pictures taken with my Note 7 and other Notes before I got the Pixel went over. As long as you backup all your pictures to Google Photos in which I did with all my former phones so all of my pictures went over to the unlimited Storage.

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
High Quality!

That is why they didn't take up any space when taken from another phone. You get unlimited "high quality" cloud storage, but if you want "original quality"(which is the best and full size picture the camera took), you would have to pay for. This is what the Pixel gets to backup unlimited for free. Notice there is no option for high quality on the Pixel. It defaults to original (best) quality because it's unlimited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca