Pixel Issues and Horrible Google Support

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Just because some people have no issues with the phones doesn't mean that others problems aren't real. The connectivity issues, the terrible videos in indoor low light are real and a lot of other people beside me are on record with these problems. Be thankful if you have not had any of them but don't blow off those of us who have had less than happy experiences with the Pixel. I hope Google learns better quality control as it develops the Pixel line.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
If you go into the camera app on the phone and read reviews of that you will see all the people that said ever since the latest update of the camera software and or 7.1 both the cam and video cam have been producing grainy and very out of focus pictures too.

Sounds like those issues with the cam can be corrected with software

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If you go into the camera app on the phone and read reviews of that you will see all the people that said ever since the latest update of the camera software and or 7.1 both the cam and video cam have been producing grainy and very out of focus pictures too.

Sounds like those issues with the cam can be corrected with software

I hope the same goes for video quality. I don't quite get how the camera is SO good, but the video isn't. Doesn't the video use the same hardware the camera does (the lens)?? If so it leads me to believe that maybe the grainy, noisy out of focus video quality could be corrected...how I have no idea though

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I hope the same goes for video quality. I don't quite get how the camera is SO good, but the video isn't. Doesn't the video use the same hardware the camera does (the lens)?? If so it leads me to believe that maybe the grainy, noisy out of focus video quality could be corrected...how I have no idea though

Many mention the grainy and out of focus video quality in the reviews of the video aspects in the camera app as well

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Many mention the grainy and out of focus video quality in the reviews of the video aspects in the camera app as well
Yeah that's what I find weird because I haven't seen the out of focus graininess when using the camera, just the video. Who knows.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just because some people have no issues with the phones doesn't mean that others problems aren't real. The connectivity issues, the terrible videos in indoor low light are real and a lot of other people beside me are on record with these problems. Be thankful if you have not had any of them but don't blow off those of us who have had less than happy experiences with the Pixel. I hope Google learns better quality control as it develops the Pixel line.

I don't think anyone is doubting the OP is having issues. Most of the time people post if they are or are not so others can see if it's widespread or not. There are some commenters who actually like because they have the issue, everyone does, again, I'm not getting that from the OP. But there are some who act that way as well.

Now for an extreme example, when I owned a Galaxy S3, I had many issues. Lag after around 4 months, my GPS would never reliably lock without an app like GPS Toolbox, and by the 1 year mark my battery lasted half as long as it originally did. So I went to the forums for help. I was accused of being a troll and trying to sully Samsung's reputation. I didn't care about that (and anyone who feels the need to do something like that should get themselves checked out), I just wanted my phone to work reliably like it did in the beginning.

But again, I'm not seeing that here. I think most just want to see how widespread it is, so they can prepare in case it happens to them eventually.

nickal

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Still waiting on Google to reply. So far and I went back and counted, I've been told "no" 18 times by different Google folks who replied to my emails. Seems they don't have anyone specific that replies back to customers and once you reply it's back into some type of email auto attendant and never goes back to the same person at least not that I can see. Too bad as the software/hardware interface on this phone is buttery smooth and as good as Apple. Don't care if it's not a sexy as Samsung but these dropped calls, mic cut outs and needing to use my fingerprint to turn on the damn phone will have me switching to the G8 on release date if not fixed.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
nickal,

I just re-read your original post and saw that you mentioned your "sideloaded programs".

Um, what sideloaded programs? Can you be absolutely certain that they are not the cause of at least some of your issues with the Pixel?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
nickal,

I just re-read your original post and saw that you mentioned your "sideloaded programs".

Um, what sideloaded programs? Can you be absolutely certain that they are not the cause of at least some of your issues with the Pixel?
I'd have to agree with this.. it's very possible you side loaded something you shouldn't have.

nickal

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
No issue with any programs as I reset the phone from scratch with the same issues... Google is still checking with their "escalation" team and what I want is pretty simple. Send me a new replacement phone and I'll send you back the broken phone and I'll even provide my credit card so if my broken phone is not received within 10 days, charge me in full...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No issue with any programs as I reset the phone from scratch with the same issues... Google is still checking with their "escalation" team and what I want is pretty simple. Send me a new replacement phone and I'll send you back the broken phone and I'll even provide my credit card so if my broken phone is not received within 10 days, charge me in full...

This all sounds very odd and not what we usually hear from Google Support. Where are you located, anyway? Are you in the US?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok, had a Googler friend (who has been able to help people in the forums here in the past) explain what he thinks is going on. They don't do "exchanges" other than for malfunctions for devices that you purchased yourself from Google and you're not the person who purchased the phone from them and it's not actually clear that anyone purchased it from them; do you know if it was originally sold by Google or by Verizon? Was it sold at all?

If you were their customer, and it was for a defect, typically what they would do is ship you a device, you get it, you send your old one back. For non defect exchanges, they simply have you ship it back, refund and then you can buy another one. But you're not their customer. So you're not going through the exchange process; you are going through the warranty process.

And they are correct, in the warranty process, for a third party to the original sale, there are no ship it up front options for them. They shouldn't escalate this, they should simply say no and leave it at that. As for being without a phone, where is the phone you used prior to activating the Pixel? The V20 or whatever? Can you use a burner for a few weeks? You could consider buying a new Pixel (or whatever phone) and returning the defective one to the ebay seller instead or buying a new Pixel or whatever to use while you wait for the warranty process to complete, and then sell that or keep it for a backup, etc. just in case something like this were to happen in the future.

nickal

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Good news as finally got this done... Google stepped up and did the right thing and my replacement device is on the way. Verizon finally refunded my V20 and Samsung who can't find their *** with both hands is still processing my Note 7 refund 4.5 months later. What a racket...

pceasar

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
To those who think the OP is wrong for hoping for advanced replacement, call up Motorola for warranty replacement, since they are the manufacturer those dont care where you bought it, if the phone is in warranty, they charge you 20 bucks hold an advance replacement amount on your CC in case you dont send the phone back. THIS IS 2017 guys......google easily could reserve an amount on your credit card in case you dont send the phone back.

To the, "you should be lucky that google offers this service" sayers, you're again wrong, Google wants to act as if they are the manufacturer of this phone, similar to apple/htc/motorola etc. Therefore while its in warranty they should support it.

Its simply asinine to say, OHHHh you didnt buy your Google phone that I warranty from my google store, therefore I'm not going to allow you to use advance replacement and reserve money on your credit card CC. No common sense being employed there AT ALL guys NONE!!!

I know how it goes when you're not experiencing these issues you can talk big say what should and shouldnt be, but if you bought a Google phone at Verizon or Google you still spent an astronomical amount of money on it and you most likely dont have 2 devices to just send one back. I tried fighting google on this but in the end I dont have the time to teach them to be more customer centric. Heres somethign to chew on, buy an apple device no matter where, same for motorola btw, but buy it from anywhere and have it be in warranty watch and see they wont discrimate against you for where you bought it, they'll just use the same warranty process for allll!

ITS 2017 guys just be fair! with comments like just buy another pixel and return the ebay one blah blah......google warranty's the phone dont miss the point with a blind following, the exchange process should be the same since google gets the profits out of all the sales, Verizon and their own store. THis is google not mom and pop No.1 who nickles and dimes customers...........or is it?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To those who think the OP is wrong for hoping for advanced replacement, call up Motorola for warranty replacement, since they are the manufacturer those dont care where you bought it, if the phone is in warranty, they charge you 20 bucks hold an advance replacement amount on your CC in case you dont send the phone back. THIS IS 2017 guys......google easily could reserve an amount on your credit card in case you dont send the phone back.

To the, "you should be lucky that google offers this service" sayers, you're again wrong, Google wants to act as if they are the manufacturer of this phone, similar to apple/htc/motorola etc. Therefore while its in warranty they should support it.

Its simply asinine to say, OHHHh you didnt buy your Google phone that I warranty from my google store, therefore I'm not going to allow you to use advance replacement and reserve money on your credit card CC. No common sense being employed there AT ALL guys NONE!!!

I know how it goes when you're not experiencing these issues you can talk big say what should and shouldnt be, but if you bought a Google phone at Verizon or Google you still spent an astronomical amount of money on it and you most likely dont have 2 devices to just send one back. I tried fighting google on this but in the end I dont have the time to teach them to be more customer centric. Heres somethign to chew on, buy an apple device no matter where, same for motorola btw, but buy it from anywhere and have it be in warranty watch and see they wont discrimate against you for where you bought it, they'll just use the same warranty process for allll!

ITS 2017 guys just be fair! with comments like just buy another pixel and return the ebay one blah blah......google warranty's the phone dont miss the point with a blind following, the exchange process should be the same since google gets the profits out of all the sales, Verizon and their own store. THis is google not mom and pop No.1 who nickles and dimes customers...........or is it?
Get a couple of your points but overall, it's describing what you think they should do, rather than describing what the process actually is.

pceasar

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I understand you point @Aquila however, I think the point of the thread is to advance us and google as a whole. In other words, you wouldn't have a fresh spiffy cool phone if everyone just follow the thinking this is what the process is or these are the features that we have in 1990, we have to advance and the point of threads like this is to make things better for all sure its the process to give tickets to people who jay walk but most cops would never waste their time. What a process is and what it should be should always be reviewed and evolve especially when it comes to technology and customers.

Blackberry stuck to their process and policies for making devices for years even after the signs.....look where its getting them.

Lets make thing better and question nonsensical approaches

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I understand you point @Aquila however, I think the point of the thread is to advance us and google as a whole. In other words, you wouldn't have a fresh spiffy cool phone if everyone just follow the thinking this is what the process is or these are the features that we have in 1990, we have to advance and the point of threads like this is to make things better for all sure its the process to give tickets to people who jay walk but most cops would never waste their time. What a process is and what it should be should always be reviewed and evolve especially when it comes to technology and customers.

Blackberry stuck to their process and policies for making devices for years even after the signs.....look where its getting them.

Lets make thing better and question nonsensical approaches

Yep, that makes sense to me.. but my pushback is this. The OP and a few others seem to be (and I could be misreading) pretty annoyed or upset that things aren't handled in a certain manner. So there's two ways we can take that... examining what the actual process their following it is and reviewing their actions in the context of what they're instructed to do... and examining how we feel they ought to be handling things, or things they could do to improve the experience by modifying the existing process. It's important to be clear between those two approaches though, because getting upset with someone for following a process that differs from a more ideal process that they don't have is, at least superficially, misguided. At that point it seems it would be prudent to accept that the current process exists and was followed, let the associated frustration with that part go (breathe!) and then, offer constructive criticism on how that process could be changed for the better.

Jennifer Bushen

Oct 17, 2018
Visit site
I have owned Galaxy phones for years and have been very satisfied. When it was time to purchase a new phone, I was contemplating getting an iPhone only to try some thing new. My husband had a google pixel XL and was very satisfied with it. He assured me that it was better than an iPhone and talked me into getting the google pixel instead.
So I did. I paid nearly $1000 for my brand spanking new google pixel 2 - 128gb.
I liked it, sure. It worked well and had a couple of cool new features, and the camera was amazing. I had possession of it, and was using it for approximately 1.5 months until one day, while in use as a GPS, the screen went blank and the phone crashed and rebooted. It had an error message displayed on the screen that said “ERROR: Slot Unbootable: Load Error.” The recovery options are also all inaccessibleXX.
My husband tried a few things but couldn’t revive it. It was a goner.
I called Google Pixel customer support for the first time Sunday 10/14 around 4pm. After troubleshooting failed, the representative offered to send a new phone in 5-10 business days. I explained that I couldn’t wait 5-10 business days because having a phone was essential for my business. I requested it to be overnighted and the representative told me that that was not possible. I asked to speak to a supervisor, he assured me a supervisor would call me back within 1-2 hours.
Instead of hearing back from the supervisor, the same representative called me back and recommended i submit a claim for a new phone (same offer he gave me earlier). Again I told him I couldn’t wait 5 business days. He said it is possible that it would get here in 2 business days but he couldn’t guarantee it. At that point I asked for a refund. The phone was only 1.5 months old and it failed me. I wanted my full money back so that I could go to the store and by a new iPhone instead.
The representative said that I’ll have to talk to the supervisor for a refund. I said that’s fine. He said the supervisor would call me back in 30 min - 1 hour. I said fine.
I never received a call from the supervisor.
I finally called back 2.5 hours later. After going through the whole story, the (new) representative on the phone told me that my previous case was closed because someone called me back an hour ago and there was no answering machine so he couldn’t leave a message and he closed the case. (We were home the whole time and they had both my husband’s cell phone number and our house line and we never received a call on either phone).
Appalled that my case had been closed with absolutely no resolution, I demanded to speak to a supervisor. I explained the whole situation, again, and explained that I wanted a full refund because i am now disgusted with google’s customer service and I no longer want a google pixel. The supervisor I spoke to was nice, and empathetic and assured me that she would escalate the case for a refund, and provide a status update tomorrow when she got into work. I asked her if there was a direct way I could contact her and she told me to respond to the email that I would receive. I received the email which stated just that; the case has been escalated and that I would hear back with an update in 1-2 business days.
Next day comes, and next day goes, and I never heard from Bridgette, the supervisor. I responded to the email and did not hear back.
I called back on Tuesday. I spoke to a representative and stated i wanted to get a status update on my refund. She transferred me to another representative from another department who put me on hold 3 times, each for 5-10 mins at a time. She finally told me she had to reach out to the refunds department for an update. She told me she would call me back after talking to them.
The call back I received was from a phone number with 11 digits. When i answered the phone, there was no connection and no one on the other line. They called my cell phone once and my house line twice. All 3 times with no one there.
I finally called back 2 hours later. Now speaking to another NEW representative where I had to start over with my story. She assured me that the refund has been escalated and there was no update to provide. She said the claim states that I would get a status update in 2 business days. When I explained that today is 2 business days, she said that there was no update to give.
She assured me that she would be the one to call me back with an update. I asked her when I should expect to hear from her. She told me that I might hear back this week, but if not, then next week.
That means I am now waiting 2 full weeks for a possible resolution meanwhile not having a cell phone the entire time.

My husband who was happy with his Pixel 2 XL (and tells everybody about it) is now distraught with my experience and wondering if he should trade his phone in if this is the level of support received. He’s also never seen a phone ‘bricked’ so quickly with no way to fix it since the default settings lock you from trying to repair the phone remotely.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your experience. You should consider having an inexpensive back up phone for situations like this. This in no way excuses Google's behavior on your issue, but you need to cover contingencies like this. Cell phones aren't foolproof. It might also be a good idea to have the backup be on, or be capable of being on, another network. Would protect from a network outage.