Pixel Issues and Horrible Google Support

nickal

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
After suffering through two Note 7 returns (still waiting on refund) and then having to buy at full price a V20 so I could board an airplane for a business trip then purchasing a Google Pixel XL on Ebay (unopened in a sealed box) because neither Google nor Verizon could provide one so I paid $200 over invoice, I finally received my Pixel XL in late December.

Lots to like about this phone but having two main issues.

1. The phone goes blank during calls and the only way to see the dialer is to use the fingerprint unlock button on the back. I checked the proximity sensor with some software and it appears to be working but the display stays dark on all phone calls.
2. On calls microphone (does not matter if speakerphone is on/off) will cut in and out and calls drop. This happens a dozen plus times a day and I'm sorry but the main responsibility of a damn phone is make/receive phone calls and this phone has been horrible.

Of course in my dozens of calls between Verizon they both blame each other but that's another story... Now back to Google.

So... been talking with Google support and after hours of my time back and forth they want me to send in my phone and about 10 days later I'll receive a new phone. When I told them that was unacceptable and that how could anyone in this business expect a business owner to do without a phone for 10 days??? I asked how the hell I was supposed to transfer my user setting, data from programs and sideloaded programs over to a new phone without having my old phone and all I got was silence followed by the worst comment someone can offer from customer service. "sorry for your inconvenience" ... Listen Google, you may be one of the largest corporations in the world but your customer care is horrible. It's not an inconvenience to be without a business phone. Being bitten by a mosquito is an inconvenience. Being without a phone for 10 days could wipe out my business. How would Google's next financial quarter be without the means to make and receive calls worldwide for every employee???

I own a small business and use my phone all day long and cannot do without it. I even offered them a credit card they could charge if I did not return the old phone in 10 days and still.. I'm waiting for someone at Google to authorize this. Sorry for venting but after the Note 7 BS which by the Samsung I'm still waiting 3 months later for my refund, I'm not a happy camper... Does any company really care about the customer anymore???

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They should send the phone and let you send the old one back. My first Pixel XL died (lemon) and they sent me the new phone before I sent them the old one back.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. I don't understand why they wouldn't just send you a new one and hold you credit card info until you send the old one back. They normally do this.

pepe86

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar return experience, waiting on my replacement phone now. If it's any consolation, it shouldn't take 10 days for you to receive the replacement. I sent mine in on Saturday and my replacement is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. You might be able to reduce that by a day or two if you send it in on a Monday and drop it off at a Fedex location instead of a Post Office like I did since the post office just ends up handing it off to Fedex anyways.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Phone staying black during calls is often caused by a screen protector. Are you using one? If so, remove it.

Microphone issues can be caused by blocking the rear microphone located far right of the camera when looking at the back of the phone. Flash -> Camera -> Laser focus port 1 -> Laser focus port 2 -> Microphone. This microphone is used by the noise-cancelling circuitry/software and, if blocked (by a case or by the way you hold the phone) it can cause problems with the main microphone.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I suffered from the mic problem and Verizon did replace my unit. Actually more then once. This is what worked for me. I did not suffer from the black screen but definitely did with the mic.

The mic issues often more time than not are hardware related and not always how one holds the phone. At least in my case

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Have you contacted the people you bought the phone from?

I may be wrong here, but I didn't think manufacturers would be inclined to replace a phone bought from someplace like eBay--though it would seem in their interest to get a bad phone off the street.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I read the OP and was super impressed Google was even going to honor the warranty on a phone purchased second hand.

I do get how important a cell phone is to someone's business but you probably shouldn't have bought a phone from an unauthorized retailer (was it even a retailer?) if you wanted a warranty. I know it was new but Google has NO IDEA if that was true because they have no record of it.

onmyown

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
This - "side-loaded programs"

I'd ditch those before claiming the phone is bad.

There's a long list of issues that start with apps not vetted through play store.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
After suffering through two Note 7 returns (still waiting on refund) and then having to buy at full price a V20 so I could board an airplane for a business trip then purchasing a Google Pixel XL on Ebay (unopened in a sealed box) because neither Google nor Verizon could provide one so I paid $200 over invoice, I finally received my Pixel XL in late December.

Lots to like about this phone but having two main issues.

1. The phone goes blank during calls and the only way to see the dialer is to use the fingerprint unlock button on the back. I checked the proximity sensor with some software and it appears to be working but the display stays dark on all phone calls.
2. On calls microphone (does not matter if speakerphone is on/off) will cut in and out and calls drop. This happens a dozen plus times a day and I'm sorry but the main responsibility of a damn phone is make/receive phone calls and this phone has been horrible.

Of course in my dozens of calls between Verizon they both blame each other but that's another story... Now back to Google.

So... been talking with Google support and after hours of my time back and forth they want me to send in my phone and about 10 days later I'll receive a new phone. When I told them that was unacceptable and that how could anyone in this business expect a business owner to do without a phone for 10 days??? I asked how the hell I was supposed to transfer my user setting, data from programs and sideloaded programs over to a new phone without having my old phone and all I got was silence followed by the worst comment someone can offer from customer service. "sorry for your inconvenience" ... Listen Google, you may be one of the largest corporations in the world but your customer care is horrible. It's not an inconvenience to be without a business phone. Being bitten by a mosquito is an inconvenience. Being without a phone for 10 days could wipe out my business. How would Google's next financial quarter be without the means to make and receive calls worldwide for every employee???

I own a small business and use my phone all day long and cannot do without it. I even offered them a credit card they could charge if I did not return the old phone in 10 days and still.. I'm waiting for someone at Google to authorize this. Sorry for venting but after the Note 7 BS which by the Samsung I'm still waiting 3 months later for my refund, I'm not a happy camper... Does any company really care about the customer anymore???

You're actually lucky they warranty it at all. Most companies will not warranty anything that's bought through eBay, sealed or not. That even applies to companies like Amazon. I went to buy a battery for a cordless drill the other day and decided to call the company to see what kind of warranty is get through them. Unless I bought it through their authorized dealer (for another $50 over the cost of the one on Amazon) I would get no warranty at all. If I went with the one through their dealer for $50 more, I'd get 3 years. The problem is my last battery died 2 months after the warranty expired!

Long story short, most companies won't warranty anything unless it's bought through authorized sales outlets. They don't care if sealed or not (I've been down that road myself in the past) and found unless you go through their people, 9 times out of 10 you're SOL.

Now in regards to your situation, since they seem to be honoring it's warranty, sometimes they'll do advanced replacements so long as you allow them to put a hold on your credit card for the amount of the device. They do so in case you'd decide to keep both of them (it happens). Once they receive the device and confirm it's faulty, the hold is removed. You may want to ask if they'll do that. I'm assuming you've sold your V20 already otherwise I'd say to use that in the meantime.

nickal

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Phone was sealed brand new and never used. Neither Google nor Verizon had any phones in stock and 3 times extended my ship date. I had 30 days to return the V20 so I had to do something...

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I had no issues getting a replacement for mine. The phone shut off about 2 weeks ago and wouldn't power back on. Happened right after I did the January security update OTA. Called Google, they took my credit card number and put a $0 hold on it to insure I return the broken device. They sent it out and I had a brand new device the very next day. And I wasn't the original purchaser either as I bought brand new off of Swappa.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The phone may have been sealed and appeared to be "brand new," however, I would tend to be highly suspicious of any seller offering such a phone on eBay, and priced at $200 above retail. It's doubtful Google is likely to accept such a scenario at face value, I certainly wouldn't. Frankly, given the source of your purchase as well as the dubious behavior of the seller, you are fortunate that Google is willing to offer you an exchange on any terms.