How to backup Pixel

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered a Verizon Pixel 128GB yesterday. I've been using Samsung Smart Switch and cloud backup for the Galaxy S3/Notes over the years, and a similar approach for iPhones with local and cloud based backups.

Will SMS/MMS also get backed up to Google Drive if I use the native Messenger? With Smart Switch SMS/MMS get backed up locally, and I know there are various apps like MyBackup Pro that can be used to move SMS/MMS from one phone to another as well as do full phone backups.

With that said, is there any need to backup the Pixel at all? (assumes I will use Drive, Photos, Google Backup, etc.). Can I just start using it and assuming I'm using Google services, will everything get automatically backed up?

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Just ordered a Verizon Pixel 128GB yesterday. I've been using Samsung Smart Switch and cloud backup for the Galaxy S3/Notes over the years, and a similar approach for iPhones with local and cloud based backups.

Will SMS/MMS also get backed up to Google Drive if I use the native Messenger? With Smart Switch SMS/MMS get backed up locally, and I know there are various apps like MyBackup Pro that can be used to move SMS/MMS from one phone to another as well as do full phone backups.

With that said, is there any need to backup the Pixel at all? (assumes I will use Drive, Photos, Google Backup, etc.). Can I just start using it and assuming I'm using Google services, will everything get automatically backed up?

Use Google services and it will back up everything. The Pixel comes with a cable and micro USB adapter. You can restore all of your stuff from your Samsung using the cable. It gives you the option of bringing over messages, call logs, contacts, music, pics and videos. It's a simple setup with no need to download an app.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Use Google services and it will back up everything. The Pixel comes with a cable and micro USB adapter. You can restore all of your stuff from your Samsung using the cable. It gives you the option of bringing over messages, call logs, contacts, music, pics and videos. It's a simple setup with no need to download an app.

Good to know. Wasn't sure how extensive the native Nougat backup system is. I've seen the data transfer process on the Pixel site, looking forward to trying it out. My wife used the similar Samsung data cable and adapter approach when moving from Note 5 to Note 7. Worked well.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Good to know. Wasn't sure how extensive the native Nougat backup system is. I've seen the data transfer process on the Pixel site, looking forward to trying it out. My wife used the similar Samsung data cable and adapter approach when moving from Note 5 to Note 7. Worked well.

also there is an option when you setup ur pixel for the first time to transfer data from ur older devices wirelessly.
its was called tap and go in android L but the name might have changed in android N

here is the article about that http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/2...go-restore-and-restore-from-specific-devices/

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Cloud can back up, restore pics/vids/music, documents, call logs, text messages and contacts as well. 5gb free, but can pay for more.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Between everything you listed, that almost covers everything you may want backed up. The only thing that may be missing is SMS, but this was partially addressed in a previous post. I think if you set your default messaging app as Hangouts, that should sync to Google servers as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15