OK google unlocks my phone

Jonesjr

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
If I say OK google from the lock screen it opens my assistant and unlocks my phone without fingerprint or passcode. Anyone else have this problem and is there a fix for it

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't sweat it too much. It has to be your voice. Someone else's shouldn't work.

Well, that's really not true. Someone who attempts to mock the tone of your voice can absolutely unlock your phone if you have setup trusted voice. If you leave your phone unattended and you don't want just anyone to get into it then you need to actively lock it via the lockscreen.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's really not true. Someone who attempts to mock the tone of your voice can absolutely unlock your phone if you have setup trusted voice. If you leave your phone unattended and you don't want just anyone to get into it then you need to actively lock it via the lockscreen.
I've had 4 friends try so far.. soon as they tried it popped a notification that the voice was unrecognized and the phone must now be unlocked via PIN or Fingerprint.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Wrong

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's by design, not a problem with the phone.

True. But, just to be clear, it does not work that way by default - you have to go to Settings -> Security -> Smart Lock -> Trusted Voice, enable Trusted Voice (it is disabled by default) and then train the voice model successfully. If you fail to train the voice model, Trusted Voice will disable itself before you even leave the screen.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't sweat it too much. It has to be your voice. Someone else's shouldn't work.
This is true. Sometimes, my husband will ask me to show him how to use a particular feature on his phone, and out of habit I will say, "OK Google," and of course his Assistant just politely ignores me, which can be annoying, but it's also assuring to see that feature is working exactly as intended.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
People on my TV unlock my phone while it's sitting on the table in front of me. I have to keep "From any screen" turned off.
People on your TV are saying, "OK Google"? That's surprising!

My Pixel XL only responds to my voice. Perhaps you need to recheck your phone's settings.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
People on my TV unlock my phone while it's sitting on the table in front of me. I have to keep "From any screen" turned off.

My Pixel XL only responds to my voice. Perhaps you need to recheck your phone's settings.

Any voice will wake an unlocked phone; only a trusted voice will wake a locked phone.

If, for example, Smart Lock Trusted Places is in force (it is set for Home and you are actually Home) then any voice can wake the phone, including one coming from the TV. However, when not at home - or other trusted place / trusted device nearby / etc. - then only a Trusted Voice should be able to awaken and unlock the phone.

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

No. No one is saying "OK Google."
It happens on my Tab S2 on my desk in my home office while listening to NPR news, also. Yes, my Tab S2 triggers my phone. I have no clue what the exact phrase is, but I have to keep "From any screen" turned off on my S7 to stop it.

Last edited:

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Any voice will wake an unlocked phone; only a trusted voice will wake a locked phone.

If, for example, Smart Lock Trusted Places is in force (it is set for Home and you are actually Home) then any voice can wake the phone, including one coming from the TV. However, when not at home - or other trusted place / trusted device nearby / etc. - then only a Trusted Voice should be able to awaken and unlock the phone.

Thank you.

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
True. But, just to be clear, it does not work that way by default - you have to go to Settings -> Security -> Smart Lock -> Trusted Voice, enable Trusted Voice (it is disabled by default) and then train the voice model successfully. If you fail to train the voice model, Trusted Voice will disable itself before you even leave the screen.

I don't have this on my S7. I wish I did.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No. No one is saying "OK Google."
It happens on my Tab S2 on my desk in my home office while listening to NPR news, also. I have no clue what the exact phrase is, but I have to keep "From any screen" turned off to stop it.

In fact, your device will respond to lots of phrases other than "OK Google". For example, "Hey Google" works for most people, as does "Hey (or OK) Dougal". If you play around with it, you will find that you can stray quite a bit from the "google" sound so long as you try to stick with two syllables.

Trusted Voice, on the other hand, is very specific and will not accidentally trigger.

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
In fact, your device will respond to lots of phrases other than "OK Google". For example, "Hey Google" works for most people, as does "Hey (or OK) Dougal". If you play around with it, you will find that you can stray quite a bit from the "google" sound so long as you try to stick with two syllables.

Trusted Voice, on the other hand, is very specific and will not accidentally trigger.

Oh, I know. I suppose I can make a list if I could understand what it is that's working to unlock it. It certainly isn't just "OK Google." I became aware of this over two years ago or when I got my Note 4.

I don't have a "Trusted Voice" setting on my S7, the phone I currently use. I wish I did.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Oh, I know. I suppose I can make a list if I could understand what it is that's working to unlock it. It certainly isn't just "OK Google." I became aware of this over two years ago or when I got my Note 4.

I don't have a "Trusted Voice" setting on my S7, the phone I currently use. I wish I did.

I have google trusted voice settings on my S7 edge so no reason you shouldn't have..

Open the google app, go to settings/ voice/ ok google detection/ trusted voice.

I don't use it on my phone personally because I have an android wear watch and use ok google via that.