Revisiting the Pixel. What are your thoughts now?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had the Pixel for 3 to 4 weeks now. I came from an S7 edge and 2 years of using Samsung. Took a little 3 months break with the iPhone as well.

Here is my experience.

1st week = confusing and frustrating. Missed a lot of features from the S7 but did enjoy the smoothness of the Pixel as well.

2nd week = really loved the Pixel for its camera. The camera is absolutely amazing on this. And i take a lot of photos so this was a huge plus for me. The performance sort of faded to the background. The S7 never gave me performance issues either.

3rd week = the phone started to feel extremely boring. The performance stopped to matter. The camera was the only thing I was lingering on to. Kept it going.

4th week in = now that I see that nougat is rolling out on the S7 I feel really torn. Went to the shop one day with the intention to get the S7 edge back but couldnt do it. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't regret getting the Pixel. But I'm not completely satisfied either. It's a really weird phone. Half baked but still tastes good.

What are your honest thoughts after using the Pixel for a few months? Do you see yourself using this phone for a long time? What is the thing which has gotten you hooked?

Note: This post is not about Samsung vs Google. Just want to know your thoughts about the Pixel :)

Blumini06

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I have never look back from my S7. Using the Pixel made me realize how unstable the S7 was. Pixel may have less features but I don't miss it one bit. I just want a phone that works and I can rely on. This is just an awesome phone for me and I don't care anymore for other features that other phones offer. I just want something stable and consistency.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
What are your honest thoughts after using the Pixel for a few months? Do you see yourself using this phone for a long time? What is the thing which has gotten you hooked?

Im personally a big fan of the Pixel. Obviously everyone has their preferences. The camera, screen, fast software updates and stock Android are the main reasons i go for it. It was also my first time using a finger print sensor so that was really cool for me. Additionally i liked the 'Fingerprint Gestures". So yes, i would see myself using it for a long time,

but then again i used BB10 (Blackberry OS) for over 3 years on the same device and I'm sure some people today wouldn't even use it for 1 day.

There are a lot of people who swear by Samsung and i don't blame them. The S7 Edge is a lovely piece of hardware and the software is good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm still loving mine. It does what I want, runs great, great camera and battery. I used Samsung a bunch in the past and can't say I'm missing anything in particular that would make me consider this phone boring. Not saying Samsung isn't good.. I just can't think of what Samsung has that would be a must have for me.

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely still diggin' my Pixel. I don't regret moving to it at all. At first, I was a little bummed about the design, but the clean functionality overrules any design challenges for me. I too love the fingerprint gestures and fingerprint reader as this is my first time having a phone with that option (besides the Note 4's, of which I never used). And yeah, the camera is spot on. My Moto X Pure was a great phone, but compared to my Pixel XL it's not even a contest.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I still love my Pixel XL. I do feel that my honeymoon period with any phone ends much faster these days, especially since I am not flashing roms any longer.

I came from the Pixel XL from the Note 7 (and Note 4 prior). The only thing I still miss from the Note 7 is the pen. I miss being able to sign and approve documents right on my phone, and the ability to take a partial screen shot. I miss these features pretty frequently. I thought I was going to miss Samsung Pay more than I do.

My Pixel XL is still very smooth; I love how fast it is. I also love the camera. Battery life has been great, and I have not experienced any of the issues that others have reported. At this point, I am happy enough with this phone, I do not anticipate a change in my near future. I do not see myself jumping back so Samsung, but I will be interested to see what they do with the Note 8.

kalinakara

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
It's exactly what I thought it would be, no more, no less - a wonderful pure google experience. The lack of bloat carrier garbage alone is worth the price to me. HATE HATE HATE that stuff. Boring? Not to me. I find it refined with none of the useless gunk you get in the other phones.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't looking for the sexiest phone out there. I've had enough days of lusting over those. I'm more practical now. Good battery life, stable, fluid OS, great camera, quick updates, solid build construction. Having said that, it's a great phone for me and I will probably keep it for a while.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Initially hated the design of the back of this thing but once I put a DBrand skin on it and a Rhinoskin bumper I was satisfied with the aesthetics. The performance of the phone is great, no complaints about it and since I always root my devices I'm never bored with them. Price would be my only gripe with this phone and I feel the same way about other phones in the price range.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
When I buy a new phone I take time to think about the phone I have and what I use it for as well as what software I cannot do without. So I knew when I bought my first Nexus that I would be giving up the S-pen and the removable storage. I rarely used the S-pen so I was good with that part, but skeptical about the removable storage. I never got much into the Samsung eco-system of bloatware mainly for security reasons and because they seemed limited in capability--like most smart phone bloatware. So having carefully considered my needs, it should come as fairly surprise free that I am happy with my decision. I was especially happy when I saw that a Samsung phone I would have bought was most known for catching on fire and was banned on commercial aircraft unless turned off.

What I don't really get is why, if you are so enamored with Samsung phones, you have a Pixel. One should generally pursue the love of their life.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy the Pixel and go to use it in stores because of my trust in and respect for the Nexus line. It's as close to stock Android as you can get, and it feels really good in the hand. I've heard great things about its software, as well.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am mostly annoyed by my phone due to no matter what, it will not stay connected to wifi. Either 2.4 or 5 ghz. And every other device in my house does, so I am not changing a router / modem for this phone.
It eats my data when the connection drops all day long, so I have to keep cellular data off unless I need it. It kinda sucks.
I still cant type on this and I got it on release day. Tried alternate keyboards and heights. Nope. Still a mess for me.
Do not disturb has a weird bug on my phone, and lately, Google messenger just crashes and I have to restart.
Positives: other than the wifi and typing, it is mostly stable. Its smooth and fast. I love the camera and unlimited picture storage. It runs cool. I like the button in the back. I think its the nicest Android out there. The experience feels refined.
I can do things with this I cant do on my iPhone and I adore widgets.
So...just fix the wifi issue Google. I know I am not the only one.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
When I buy a new phone I take time to think about the phone I have and what I use it for as well as what software I cannot do without. So I knew when I bought my first Nexus that I would be giving up the S-pen and the removable storage. I rarely used the S-pen so I was good with that part, but skeptical about the removable storage. I never got much into the Samsung eco-system of bloatware mainly for security reasons and because they seemed limited in capability--like most smart phone bloatware. So having carefully considered my needs, it should come as fairly surprise free that I am happy with my decision. I was especially happy when I saw that a Samsung phone I would have bought was most known for catching on fire and was banned on commercial aircraft unless turned off.

What I don't really get is why, if you are so enamored with Samsung phones, you have a Pixel. One should generally pursue the love of their life.

No no man you got it wrong. I love Samsung phones and I love the Pixel too. I've used almost every flagship out there. I'm completely fanboy free and no company has my loyalties.

I just mentioned Samsung to give my post a context that's all.

What I really wanted to know is what people like about the Pixel and what they don't after spending so much time with it. I love mobile technology and this phone confused me a little so I was curious about what people have to say about it.

And I have to say most of you have a common liking with the software, build and camera. That's what I love about the Pixel as well.

And I see most of the people here who love the Pixel are utilitarians. Function over form is what you guys want!

It's getting clearer to me :D

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me it's the opposite, every time I like to give Samsung a chance, love the features for couple of weeks but the software stutters here and there, no regular updates etc weigh on me. With the Pixel the phone is buttery smooth all the time and and camera is top notch. I agree that overall it's boring in the sense it doesn't have fancy features. But personally it's not an issue.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I spent 2 years with GS3 and a note 4 and I must say I'm impressed with the pixel. I miss the s pen and was going to be a note 7 user until the fiasco. I always was curious about a pure Android experience so I decided to go for the pixel. I've only had it for 3 weeks but the battery is amazing. I'm a moderate user and I usually end the day with%50 power left. I would have to charge my note 4 by lunch time. I do miss some of the note 4 features but the updates, battery, and speed of this phone trumps those features. I may give the note 9 a shot but who knows at this point.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Pixel for 3 to 4 weeks now. I came from an S7 edge and 2 years of using Samsung. Took a little 3 months break with the iPhone as well.

Here is my experience.

1st week = confusing and frustrating. Missed a lot of features from the S7 but did enjoy the smoothness of the Pixel as well.

2nd week = really loved the Pixel for its camera. The camera is absolutely amazing on this. And i take a lot of photos so this was a huge plus for me. The performance sort of faded to the background. The S7 never gave me performance issues either.

3rd week = the phone started to feel extremely boring. The performance stopped to matter. The camera was the only thing I was lingering on to. Kept it going.

4th week in = now that I see that nougat is rolling out on the S7 I feel really torn. Went to the shop one day with the intention to get the S7 edge back but couldnt do it. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't regret getting the Pixel. But I'm not completely satisfied either. It's a really weird phone. Half baked but still tastes good.

Note: This post is not about Samsung vs Google. Just want to know your thoughts about the Pixel :)

I have both phones. Bought the axon7 from ZTE. Never used the other 2 since.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have had my XL since November.

My main reason for buying a new phone, was to not be held hostage by carriers.

I was tired of the bloat, slow updates and when there was an update it often caused more issues than it solved.

This phone is all that and a bag of chips.

Both the wife and I have them and we have had zero issues.

I would never, ever buy a manufacturer or carrier phone again.

frozenchosin

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Upgraded from a Droid Turbo BN 64GB that was more than 2 years old and had a faulty microphone. Bought the QB 128GB Pixel XL for $600 using Verizon's $25/month x 24 months Black Friday deal. I've only had the XL for a week, but I like it...web activity is much faster, apps open quickly and run smoothly, and battery life has been adequate to my needs. Love the camera. I don't buy or use my cell phones as fashion statements, so the XL's vanilla appearance doesn't bother me. The Diztronic TPU case I slapped on it doesn't bulk it up by much, and it feels perfect in my hand and rear pants pocket. At 128GB of internal storage, I was able to copy more than 6500 mp3 files to my Music folder for OTG access, and still plenty of room for all my pictures and miscellaneous downloaded documents. I don't download movies to watch on it, and I never record videos, so I'm pleased with the storage capacity. Phone microphone works perfectly, so if none of the rest were true, I'd still be in a better place than if I'd stayed with my Turbo. Oh, and I really dig the fingerprint sensor on the back!!! I would never have bought it for the full retail price of $869, but at $600, I feel I'm enjoying my money's worth. If it lasts at least two years, then I won't have any regrets.

Last edited:

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Here is my experience.

I share the same experience with you being a S7 edge owner prior to buying the pixel. I think the problem is that the two phones are so different in every aspect which creates a hard decision to only choose one. I can't get rid of one, it's too hard of a decision for me. They each have their pros that are polar opposites.

Pixel has the best software experience while the S7 doesn't. I do like the camera on the pixel better, but I find the screen to be nicer on the S7. Samsung pay is a nice pro of the S7 that I use ALOT. Pixel can be used with a tempered glass SP ( big plus for me ) while the S7 can't due to its curved edges. I have no SP on my S7 and I hate not having one on there. I won't use the thin wet apply protectors either so that's out of the question.

S7 has expandable storage and wireless charging, pixel doesn't. The wireless charging I can live without. The pixel has unlimited storage for photos so I don't even need SD storage which is nice. I own both and I go back and forth constantly BC I start to miss using one when it sits on my desk too long. Serious issues!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mama