The 128GB black and silver Pixel XLs were in stock for like a minute today.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Can't believe they are still having stock problems keeping the xl in stock. Not sure I buy the demand is that strong. I got mine at the end of November and hard to believe the stock is still not steady.

HTC manufactures the phones. If youve ever tried to purchase a HTC flagship within the first little bit after launch. You would completely understand. HTC sucks at production apparently. It was always hell getting a htc flagship within the first,1-2 months after launch.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So? Google is a huge company and they should know what customers want. Google has been around for over 20 years.

Why is everyone willing to give them a pass?
The same question can be asked on you.. why so harsh? So by your logic because a company has been around a long time they should have all the logistics / making phones down as good as others who have done it for years and years regardless of the fact of them not doing it on this scale before ?....

If so we can just agree to disagree. Doubt either will see the other side. :).

Last edited:

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
That's still an excuse. Google knew it was making a phone and had time to get its supply chain going. The company isn't headed by a bunch of idiots.

Agreed. Google isn't exactly run by cavemen haha. One the one side, its really good that Google is always out of stock because it shows the product is really good and in high demand. (but certainly not for $1,400+ I've seen on some sites.) The downside is, obviously they may lose customers to the likes of the LG V20 or the Samsung S7 Edge which are normally always in stock.

frozenchosin

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I was willing to give them a pass because I got a great deal on the Pixel XL and could wait for them to honor it. Also, I was curious to find out what is so great about these phones and too stubborn to give up on my order. Worked out for me. I can see why others might see it differently, tho'. That's why there are other options on the market.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not willing to give them a pass, I'm saying I understand why they are having the issues. When they've never been an OEM before in the phone market and they have no idea what to expect for sales (which is shown in the data suggesting they're selling nearly double their original forecasts) - at that point, they become dependent on suppliers that they don't have much, if any existing relationships with and are then scrambling to get devices done. HTC was supposed to do a lot of that heavy lifting, but as we found out, instead of making sure Google's Pixels had priority, they were instead wasting time on some garbage "U" device.

Apple having 10 years of experience doing it also means they have 10 years of relationships that they can leverage to keep things moving.

HA! iPhones are always on a big backorder at release, and for sometimes months at a time. This is Google's first attempt at this type of product release, and the people making the supply decisions are humans too. Google isn't a giant Watson calling all the shots - it's still humans who make their best educated decisions and are sometimes just plain off the mark. What are you going to do? Also, there may be component shortages in the supply chain, so no matter what they ordered to have built for launch, it doesn't mean the factory can actually produce them. If they can only get a limited number of memory chips per month, then that's all they can make. There are so many factors that go into this, and unless they throw all caution, and good business sense, to the wind and just start building early and 24x7 to have enough for demand, they will usually run short.

Scott Hall4

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
HA! iPhones are always on a big backorder at release, and for sometimes months at a time. This is Google's first attempt at this type of product release, and the people making the supply decisions are humans too. Google isn't a giant Watson calling all the shots - it's still humans who make their best educated decisions and are sometimes just plain off the mark. What are you going to do? Also, there may be component shortages in the supply chain, so no matter what they ordered to have built for launch, it doesn't mean the factory can actually produce them. If they can only get a limited number of memory chips per month, then that's all they can make. There are so many factors that go into this, and unless they throw all caution, and good business sense, to the wind and just start building early and 24x7 to have enough for demand, they will usually run short.

I can understand stock issues. No big deal. I can wait until I can't, then I'll have to make another choice. My biggest issue is that google thinks so little of my time that they force me to check back on their stupid google store site over and over again at the, so far non existent, possibility that I might find one in stock. Why the hell can't I just order, on back order, to get my order in queue. Then they can ship it when they get it? That's the part that makes me feel like I'm being manipulated. Honestly, that is about to make me stick with the iPhone. I don't have time nor high enough interest to keep checking back every day. It's really lame... seriously google!

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I can understand stock issues. No big deal. I can wait until I can't, then I'll have to make another choice. My biggest issue is that google thinks so little of my time that they force me to check back on their stupid google store site over and over again at the, so far non existent, possibility that I might find one in stock. Why the hell can't I just order, on back order, to get my order in queue. Then they can ship it when they get it? That's the part that makes me feel like I'm being manipulated. Honestly, that is about to make me stick with the iPhone. I don't have time nor high enough interest to keep checking back every day. It's really lame... seriously google!
This.

This is their biggest failure beyond not picking the right manufacturer to mass produce their devices. I feel for those waiting, in December i checked the Google site 4 or 5 times a day for a week and got a device shipped to me within days of my order being placed, all the while people with preorders still waited. The system is broken and i recall having bad experiences like this back with the Nexus 4 so it's sad to be here years later without significant improvement.

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Why stop at the N4? Happens every year. The simple truth is to get the device first thing. Might as well plan on getting the next device at the very moment it goes on sale for preorder. Supply will never match demand.

First come, first serve my friends.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
HTC manufactures the phones. If youve ever tried to purchase a HTC flagship within the first little bit after launch. You would completely understand. HTC sucks at production apparently. It was always hell getting a htc flagship within the first,1-2 months after launch.

I have never owned an HTC device. The Pixel XL is the first. This just matches googles ability to roll out a device. I have owned every Nexus since the 4 and Google has always screwed up something in those launches as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish