The 128GB black and silver Pixel XLs were in stock for like a minute today.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just checked.

All versions of the small Pixel are in stock. Black 128 XL and Black & Silver 32 XL are in stock.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe they are still having stock problems keeping the xl in stock. Not sure I buy the demand is that strong. I got mine at the end of November and hard to believe the stock is still not steady.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't believe they are still having stock problems keeping the xl in stock. Not sure I buy the demand is that strong. I got mine at the end of November and hard to believe the stock is still not steady.
They're allegedly over double their original forecasting. That doesn't mean it's OK to still be behind, but adds a little explanation.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I know, right? Apple was having problems with keeping the jet black variant of the iPhone 7 Plus in stock (both 128GB and 256GB versions), but they were readily available at every Apple Store and online two to three months after release. It's been three months since the Pixel has been released and nobody can buy an XL version at any brick and mortar Verizon store or online, unless you're incredibly fast at clicking once they're in stock in the Google store.

It's terrible, unforgivable, and embarrassing for Google not to have these available by now. By the time people can actually buy them in Verizon stores, the S8 will be available and the Pixel won't be on anyone's radar anymore.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's crazy. I was waiting for the XL to come back in stock, but finally caved and bought a regular size pixel.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess google does some things well but forecasting phone sales, nexus & pixel, is not one of them. Had a nexus since the 4 and same song and verse every year.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know, right? Apple was having problems with keeping the jet black variant of the iPhone 7 Plus in stock (both 128GB and 256GB versions), but they were readily available at every Apple Store and online two to three months after release. It's been three months since the Pixel has been released and nobody can buy an XL version at any brick and mortar Verizon store or online, unless you're incredibly fast at clicking once they're in stock in the Google store.

It's terrible, unforgivable, and embarrassing for Google not to have these available by now. By the time people can actually buy them in Verizon stores, the S8 will be available and the Pixel won't be on anyone's radar anymore.
And how long has Apple been making and shipping phones versus google? I'd hope they'd be better but in the past.. there were times many waited a long time to get them as well :). It seems people forget the easy facts when it comes to stuff like this.

Not saying it's completely forgiveable but to act like Apple never once had issues like this is far-fetched to say the least.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And how long has Apple been making and shipping phones versus google? I'd hope they'd be better but in the past.. there were times many waited a long time to get them as well :). It seems people forget the easy facts when it comes to stuff like this.

Not saying it's completely forgiveable but to act like Apple never once had issues like this is far-fetched to say the least.

Oh, I know! Apple has been making and shipping phones for 10 years while Google has been doing it for 6 moths. That is an experience ratio of 20:1 in Apple's favor. This is fun coach, ask me another!

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

So? Google is a huge company and they should know what customers want. Google has been around for over 20 years.

Why is everyone willing to give them a pass?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So? Google is a huge company and they should know what customers want. Google has been around for over 20 years.

Why is everyone willing to give them a pass?

I'm not willing to give them a pass, I'm saying I understand why they are having the issues. When they've never been an OEM before in the phone market and they have no idea what to expect for sales (which is shown in the data suggesting they're selling nearly double their original forecasts) - at that point, they become dependent on suppliers that they don't have much, if any existing relationships with and are then scrambling to get devices done. HTC was supposed to do a lot of that heavy lifting, but as we found out, instead of making sure Google's Pixels had priority, they were instead wasting time on some garbage "U" device.

Apple having 10 years of experience doing it also means they have 10 years of relationships that they can leverage to keep things moving.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Apple having 10 years of experience doing it also means they have 10 years of relationships that they can leverage to keep things moving.

That's still an excuse. Google knew it was making a phone and had time to get its supply chain going. The company isn't headed by a bunch of idiots.

booster_gold

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
maybe they ran out of those glass panels they need for the back. worldwide glass shortage, yeah, that's it...um...or they ran in to issues with reproducing the G logo on the back of the phones which has delayed the manufacturer of new phones... yep...um...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's still an excuse. Google knew it was making a phone and had time to get its supply chain going. The company isn't headed by a bunch of idiots.

That's my guess for an explanation as to why they're having trouble, not an excuse. I didn't say it's okay for them to have this kind of trouble; I agree with you that these issues should be invisible to us. They should still be able to take orders and simply give estimated ship dates that reflect how long they think it might be and then just keep customers informed. The only thing I'll excuse is that there's no way they could know that the phone would sell double their expectations.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not willing to give them a pass, I'm saying I understand why they are having the issues. When they've never been an OEM before in the phone market and they have no idea what to expect for sales (which is shown in the data suggesting they're selling nearly double their original forecasts) - at that point, they become dependent on suppliers that they don't have much, if any existing relationships with and are then scrambling to get devices done. HTC was supposed to do a lot of that heavy lifting, but as we found out, instead of making sure Google's Pixels had priority, they were instead wasting time on some garbage "U" device.

I'm not as understanding. Google has partnered with OEMs since 2010 for Nexus devices, and sold Nexus devices through the Play Store since 2012. Google also sold the Nexus devices through different combinations of retailers and US carriers. Google has seen supply and demand for a very similar product up close. The OEMs should have kept Google in the loop as a partner on any manufacturing issues.

With Google being the entity that it is with the experience that it has, selling the Pixel/XL should have been no surprise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2