connecting a pixel to a tv

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to connect my pixel to my tv to show pictures and videos to family, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I've got a ~5 year old Samsung smart tv and a smart bluray player about the same age.

I've tried connecting with the usb-usbc cable that came with the phone, but neither device will recognize my phone. The tv doesn't even know something is plugged into the usb port. The bluray player will know something is plugged in, but can't figure out what it is. I've also tried downloading the Samsung app TV Cast. With that app, I can connect to the tv, but apparently can only cast intense video to the tv, not local files from the pixel. Per any good money-grab app, I can ipurchase additional features and capabilities of the app a la carte (all while still seeing ads...) but it isn't exactly clear that it will work even then. It's not a lot of money and I'll spend it if it will work, but I'm loathe to support crappy apps from companies that should be able to put out some really high quality programs.

Has anyone cast/ connected their pixel to a tv to display pictures and videos this way? Am I just dense and missing something simple? Any help/ guidance is appreciated.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to connect my pixel to my tv to show pictures and videos to family, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I've got a ~5 year old Samsung smart tv and a smart bluray player about the same age.

I've tried connecting with the usb-usbc cable that came with the phone, but neither device will recognize my phone. The tv doesn't even know something is plugged into the usb port. The bluray player will know something is plugged in, but can't figure out what it is. I've also tried downloading the Samsung app TV Cast. With that app, I can connect to the tv, but apparently can only cast intense video to the tv, not local files from the pixel. Per any good money-grab app, I can ipurchase additional features and capabilities of the app a la carte (all while still seeing ads...) but it isn't exactly clear that it will work even then. It's not a lot of money and I'll spend it if it will work, but I'm loathe to support crappy apps from companies that should be able to put out some really high quality programs.

Has anyone cast/ connected their pixel to a tv to display pictures and videos this way? Am I just dense and missing something simple? Any help/ guidance is appreciated.

Google Chromecast works flawlessly. Try getting one.

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Can your smart tv or bluray download the Google photo app?

I have it on my roku, and since all my pictures from my phone are automatically uploaded to Google photo, I can view them on the tv through the roku.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Without a 4K TV (and no plans on getting one anytime soon) would the regular Chromecast work the same as the Ultra? I guess what I'm asking are there any performance benefits on the Ultra if you are only using 1080P?

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Without a 4K TV (and no plans on getting one anytime soon) would the regular Chromecast work the same as the Ultra? I guess what I'm asking are there any performance benefits on the Ultra if you are only using 1080P?

It just allows the higher resolution. No reason to have it without a 4k TV. You won't see any difference in display. I just bought the regular Chromecast and it's fine on my 1080p TV.

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Also, if you send your cable or satellite box through an amp rather than direct to the TV it probably has a USB port.

Try that.

Ditto on the Chromecast.

Yeah, I tried through my Comcast box as well. It has some idiotic Comcast app that is being phased in to replace their old one, and neither one worked for me. It also said I could use Flickr. I tried that and it promptly uploaded every picture of my children to a public folder. That thoroughly pissed me off so after deleting every one off that app, I also deleted that app.

I'm probably going to just get Chrome cast. I totally forgot about that. I was remembering how easy my Samsung was to connect to my Samsung tv and was looking for a solution sans extra hardware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital