Why didn't they put missed call, text message notifications on the home screen icons?

bennydw2004

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
So far I like the Pixel XL but why did they get rid of the little numbers next to the icons on the home screens? Or is there a way to get them displayed? I'm new to the AC forum so any help would be great. I sent feedback from my device already hoping other people have done the same thing.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
One would hope this is just a configuration issue.

Let's see what happens when this thread is moved to the Pixel XL forum.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Pixel didnt get rid of it because it was never there in the first place. there are 3rd party launcher option to enable this feature.
personally for me i dont care about it anymore

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
For those coming from iOS or TouchWiz where the capability is native, I think its reasonable to expect similar capabilities with the Pixel.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Having a badge on the icons would be nice but it's never been there on stock Android.. As stated previously, pull down on the notification shade to view them.. I'd love to see them but don't think Google will ever implement it..

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
For those coming from iOS or TouchWiz where the capability is native, I think its reasonable to expect similar capabilities with the Pixel.

I disagree. If I came from a Jeep Wrangler that has 4x4 it isn't reasonable for me to expect all cars to have 4x4 capability. If an Android user switches to iOS is it reasonable for them to expect to be able to install apps from outside the iOS eco system just because they could do so on Android? We need to accept responsibility for researching our purchases and and making our decisions accordingly.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. If I came from a Jeep Wrangler that has 4x4 it isn't reasonable for me to expect all cars to have 4x4 capability. If an Android user switches to iOS is it reasonable for them to expect to be able to install apps from outside the iOS eco system just because they could do so on Android? We need to accept responsibility for researching our purchases and and making our decisions accordingly.

Agree on being informed about what is being purchased. I knew going in from reading discussions here, and from prior experience with other ROMs, that the badge icons are not present.

Given that the Pixel is marketed as a mainstream device (e.g. Verizon) where iOS and TouchWiz based devices have a strong precense, I can see the expectation for some that badge icons would be there natively.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Personally, the way the phone operates kind of makes this less useful IMHO. By the time I get to the desktop, I've already seen notifications. I don't miss it so much.

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

iOS I understand but the TouchWiz implementation is awful. It sometimes doesn't even work and when it does it's innacurate.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny story. I was at a Minnesota Wild hockey game in early January. There were three gentlemen, likely in their early 60's, sitting in front of me. They were constantly on their phones, like teenagers at a slumber party.

At one point about midway through the second period curiosity got the better of me and I leaned forward and peeked at one of the guy's phone screen. I watched as he laboriously tapped out in the Google search box, "What does the little number on text messaging icon mean?"