How's the Google Pixel Holding Up For You?

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
IMG_20161103_123039.jpg

I bought the phone when it first came out just to do a review of it on my blog. I loved the software experience and it's pretty much the smoothest Android phone I've used so far, and I've used most of the recent ones including OnePlus 3T, Huawei Mate 9, LG V20, Note7 (RIP), Moto Z, etc. I sold the phone shortly after to fund the purchase of other devices but eventually the temptation was just too much, and i got back a silver version.

IMG_6299.JPG

I recently got into trying to make video reviews instead of writing them, so I did one for the Pixel too. So feel free to check it out if you want to, but if not scroll down for the TL;DR version.

So over 3 months later, the phone is still a dream to use. Everything is still smooth and responsive. Battery life is still decent for me despite the 2,770mAh battery, lasting me a day of use pretty easily. Standby battery drain is one of the best I've seen too on an Android phone. The camera is still great, and it's pretty much just point and shoot (and keep HDR+ on). Video stabilisation is quite amazing, but can look a little unnatural with lateral panning motions. Lowlight video with stabilisation is pretty bad though. And yeah, Google Photos FTW. Google Assistant is fun every now and then, but not something i find super useful yet. i still find myself using Google now a bit more though.

Even the design has grown on me a little. The wedged-shape look with a big piece of glass on the back reminds me of the Motorola Razr i I had. It's a little boring to me, and the lack of any significant IP rating is a bit of a bummer too considering Apple and Samsung (the 2 biggest smartphone manufacturers) are doing it.

20130817_194200.jpg

And that's really it. Compared to the OP3T of course it doesn't provide as much value for money, and considering where i live (singapore), i had to import them or get them through resellers. Meaning almost non-existent warranty and extra costs. Still, it's the best Android phone i've used so far, and it could have been a really really great phone too if it had a few more hardware features like stereo speakers, IP67 at least, or optical images stabilisation for more natural looking stabilisation. Fingers crossed for the pixel 2 eh? Google Pixel 2 rumor roundup | Android Central Hopefully Google will sell the phone in more countries this time round.

My Pixel has some bumps already, and some minor marks on the back glass panel, but overall still works great internally. Andrew's title in this article holds true for me, "Google Pixel, three months later: Still going strong, still the best".

For Pixel owners, how's the phone treating you so far? and how's your experience with the phone so far? :D

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Pixel. SO far so good. Got a daydream headset last week and VR blew the kids away and my wife got to take a virtual walk past her Grandmother's old house in another state.

Battery is doing fine, quick charge is a blessing when I need it. My only regret is I didn't get the XL

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Got mine on launch day (well like 3 days later due to a Google snafu) and it's holding up well.. I carry mine naked (the phone not me) and I don't see anything of concern even after all this time uncased...

Happy with it and it's still lightning fast, buttery smooth and rocks along just fine..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So far so good with mine. I keep a Spigen case on it except for two nights of the week when I go to the pool hall for my pool league -- I don't want the case to soak up the smoke smell.

So far it is still just as nice as when I took it out of the box. I try and be careful with my phones... Not in terms of babying it a ton but I also don't just lob it around like it is a cheap thing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So far so good with mine. I keep a Spigen case on it except for two nights of the week when I go to the pool hall for my pool league -- I don't want the case to soak up the smoke smell.

So far it is still just as nice as when I took it out of the box. I try and be careful with my phones... Not in terms of babying it a ton but I also don't just lob it around like it is a cheap thing.

My 7 year old ninja starred one of my phones a few weeks after I got it a couple years ago. I was pretty upset at losing the phone before even really being able to properly break it in and disappointed in the disregard for other peoples' things, but was also proud of the form and technique. Pretty sure not even the Pixel could survive that throw.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My 7 year old ninja starred one of my phones a few weeks after I got it a couple years ago. I was pretty upset at losing the phone before even really being able to properly break it in and disappointed in the disregard for other peoples' things, but was also proud of the form and technique. Pretty sure not even the Pixel could survive that throw.

Lol yeah it probably wouldn't.

mackie8

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Im happy for i think 5weeks until i started having bluetooth skipping issue... Now its starting to annoy me... Its sad coz i love the phone if not for this issue...

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Pixel. SO far so good. Got a daydream headset last week and VR blew the kids away and my wife got to take a virtual walk past her Grandmother's old house in another state.

Battery is doing fine, quick charge is a blessing when I need it. My only regret is I didn't get the XL

Nice! I've yet to try Daydream actually. I still prefer the smaller Pixel for its size though, and it's sort of nice that the only difference between the pixel and the pixel xl is just the screen size, resolution, and battery capacity. So not losing out too much. I had a friend who got a Pixel early on, but eventually traded up for a Pixel XL too for the bigger screen and battery.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Had mine since day one and absolutely love it! Zero problems, functions just as smooth as the first time I turned it on. Probably the best device I've ever owned.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Nice! I've yet to try Daydream actually. I still prefer the smaller Pixel for its size though, and it's sort of nice that the only difference between the pixel and the pixel xl is just the screen size, resolution, and battery capacity. So not losing out too much. I had a friend who got a Pixel early on, but eventually traded up for a Pixel XL too for the bigger screen and battery.

I went the other way. Bought the XL and the regular pixel initially and sold the XL to stay with the regular Pixel. Great phone.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I had mine and returned it. It was an awesome phone, but just couldn't justify the money at the time. I hope to get it again

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Great "over-time-review"! Thank you so much! Glad you are enjoying your Pixel experience! I miss stock Android, I must say... Maybe in a year or two, I'll go back... :).

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Ordered my Very Silver 128 GB Pixel XL on launch day, and I'm just as happy with it today as I was on the day I received it, maybe even happier. Much to my pleasant surprise, it paired flawlessly with my 2+ year old Jawbone Bluetooth headset, and I've never had a dropped call. Connectivity has been great, and clarity of calls is amazing. Love the camera... no lag! And, coming from Samsung AT&T branded phones, I can't begin to express how pleased I am with the speed and frequency of updates.

I will also add that I opted to use Project Fi as the carrier for my Pixel XL as I could see no logic in sacrificing WiFi calling and visual voicemail, which would have been the case had I chosen to use the phone on AT&T.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I had mine and returned it. It was an awesome phone, but just couldn't justify the money at the time. I hope to get it again

Price is a big factor for many i think. Where I live, these costs way more than the equivalent iphone 7 models, and comes without local warranty. Sadly, the phone is available in too few countries, making it even harder to justify getting the phone for many people.

There are rumours floating around about a lower cost Pixel for the next generation, and I think that would be a great option to have. Or maybe they could continue selling the first Pixel at a much discounted rate. Fingers and toes crossed. :)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
While I really like mine and it held up well, truth be told I fell in love with the Mate 9 and have been using that as my daily driver. I use the Mate 9 more than my iPhone 7 Plus! I DO however use the Pixel often for VR, it's in great shape, BUT it has a good case on it. :)

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
While I really like mine and it held up well, truth be told I fell in love with the Mate 9 and have been using that as my daily driver. I use the Mate 9 more than my iPhone 7 Plus! I DO however use the Pixel often for VR, it's in great shape, BUT it has a good case on it. :)

Ooh. I tested the mate 9 too, and I agree that it's a really nice phone. It was my first Huawei phone outside of the Nexus 6p and it surprised me how good it is. I still don't love the UI, but found tips on Androidcentral to change the icons to a more stock android look. So it's still not that bad. Other than that and a few minor quirks like that lock screen, it has been a really nice experience.

Still I kinda still prefer the pixel still for its size. Haha.